By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Death Stranding coming to PC summer 2020

Hiku said:
OTBWY said:

Ehhmmm, last time I had checked the official listing, it said Only On Playstation. I dunno if they had removed it recently, but I swear it was on it. I can find it back if you want me to.

It appeared on some countries Playstation site, but was removed some days later iirc, if that's what you're referring to. Wording there can be misleading or subject to miscommunication.
In the PR to investors, it was always worded as 'console exclusive'.

https://www.sie.com/en/corporate/release/2015/151216.html
https://www.sie.com/en/corporate/release/2016/160614a.html

And Death Stranding was notably missing from their "Only on Playstation" promotional trailer lineup earlier this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=_yHssX9lc4E

But even if it had been an exclusive, I was referring to the part of your comment I bolded.

I don't know what the issue is here. This announcement is obviously new to a lot of people, and to me too. And I sent you a screenshot of the "Only On Playstation" listing. So what you pointed out from my sentence is to me nothing but a logical and perfectly normal statement.

Around the Network

Guy A: Sir?
Guy B: Yes, cadet?
Guy A: Something just appeared on our radar.
Guy B: What do you mean..?
Guy A: It's massive!
Guy B takes a look on the radar.
Guy B: Well, I'll be damned. I never expected it to be coming this way.
Guy A: Sir?
Guy B: Send the technicians to check our machines. We need to be prepared.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Weird to announce the PC version a few weeks away from the PS4 launch. I doubt this will impact first week sales though.

Extreme facepalm.

Radek said:

I'm suprised they allow Decima engine on PC and announced it a week before PS4 release lol, now I'm waiting until 2020 to play this in 60 fps instead of getting it day one on PS4.

It may seem surprising but Sony have developed engines for other platforms before, notably PhyreEngine which has seen use on many systems. Aside from the obvious PlayStation consoles it also supports, Xbox One, Windows, Switch, IOS and Android among others.

Teams at Sony have also worked with teams affiliated with other platforms or publishers to exchange tech and ideas, one example was when Naughty Dog thanked Bungie (at the time working exclusively with Microsoft) and Infinity Ward, in the credits for Uncharted 2.

As for Death Stranding, the PC announcement probably won't affect the PS4 sales very much.

Around the Network

My EGS is ready.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
My EGS is ready.

EGS?

twintail said:
colafitte said:
Another point about this subject about exclusivities and all of that... I need to remind people that games like Final Fantasy VII, Metal Gear Solid or Resident Evil were not exclusives of PS1. Games like GTA Vice City, Metal Gear Solid 2 or Silent Hill 2 were not exclusives to PS2 either. And i'm talking during the same generation, i mean, all of these games had a PC/Nintendo/Xbox port weeks/months later like it's going to happen with Death Stranding, and that did not affected one bit PS success or those games being associated with PS consoles until today.

So games like Death Stranding not being fully 100% exclusive is nothing new on Playstation history. Death Stranding will be considered an important game associated with Playstation and that's the only thing it matters to Sony. That's why each new Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, Crash Bandicoot, Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Kingdom Hearts ... despite not being PS exclusives still sell 75% on average on PS4 compared to competition. And that's why the next Kojima game does, will have a PS preference anyway again.

Death stranding is a Sony owned IP. Your examples are not. 

I agree with the overall sentiment of your post though. 

Yeah, of course you're right. That's even better for Sony/Playstation. What i meant to say is that Playstation strategy, from the beginning, was never having 100% exclusive games but have preference over the competion. "Give me that game first, or give me something special for me that the competion doesn't get and i'm happy". That was the case during PS1 and PS2 eras. During PS3 era Sony lost that leverage but they gained it back during PS4.

The fact that the IP belongs to Sony, is just another proof that Sony doesn't really want to spent money in holding exclusives at any cost. The next big game that will be announced for PC or XB next will be FF VII Remake, and it will happen the same. PS4 will sell the most, by far, of the total sales of the game and SE will have their game on other platforms without the need of Sony to spend a lot in "buying" the exclusivity. Sony's objective is...., "I want this game to sell X units on my platform and help my brand recognition among its users" and they achieve that objective doing this perfectly. If Monster Hunter World sold 8-10M on PS4, why Sony is going to care if the game sells another 2-3M on PC??. If RDR 2 sold 20M on PS4, why Sony is going to care if it sells another 5M on PC after that?.

Sony really don't give a shit about forum discussions and youtubers cyring out loud "another PS4 exclusive lost!!, What's Sony is doing?!?!?!", etc....They know better than anyone what they're doing. Look, the marketing is being doing by Sony, the game engine is developped by Sony, the collaboration they're a doing with artists to promote the music album Timefall, collaborating with CHVRCHES, Khalid, ... it's made in collaboration with Sony Music. The fact that so many Hollywood stars are working on the game, i'm pretty sure is thanks to Sony too. It's a Sony's game by any means, and if they are allowing the game to launch on PC is because they want it too. Simple as that.

If you ask me, if i were Sony, i would launch GT Sport, Dreams and Bloodborne on PC too. Those are games that will work wonders on PC expanding the playstation brand to PC exclusive users. You have already sold lots of PS4's..., so why not trying to atract users from other platforms to PS games so maybe they begin to be interested on PS5??.

I wonder if it will be EGS exclusive :P

twintail said:
DonFerrari said:

He is still quite young and legendary. As long as this game have a high reception and sales it isn't unlikely. No one expected Sony to finally close the deal with Insomniac after so many refusals since PS2, but they did anyway. And who is to say that the rest of the collaborators of the studio haven't learn enough to in a decade steer the ship?

Mid 50s after not young adult days. 

And the Insomniac situation bares little resemblance to Kojima productions. 

At the end of the day,  the studio is pretty much functioning off Kojimas name. All fans care about is that he is making the games.  The ppl working there are most likely only there because it's him.  Without Kojima,  most ppl aren't going to care about this studio.  

In a decade when other ppl in the studio are making games and ppl are buying them,  then the studio gets long term value.

He will work for another 10-20 years easily.

Naughty Dog was bought by Sony early own based on the recognition of the heads of the studio.

Why would you wait 10 years and pay more for it, already without the leader, instead of buying now for cheap and participate in the growing of the studio?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."