By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Death Stranding Review Thread - MC: 82 / OC: 83 / GR: 83.17%

Tagged games:

Jpcc86 said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Personal enjoyment is the only way I rate games. If playing it is not enjoyable, no amount of technical feats is going to redeem it in my eyes. 

Your argument is comparable to saying critics who gave The Lion King (2019) a score lower than 6 were objectively wrong because the movie is visually stunning and top notch on a technical level.

Thats a fine and well position for someone who is just gonna take a game as a player/customer and wont have any sort of deep analysis of it other than his own personal experience/enjoyment with it, but someone who reviews games/movies/music/anyartform professionally - and its basically their job and get paid to do it -  cant have such a limited criteria. When it comes to film for example you take screenplay, visuals, editing, music, acting, directing and find the value (or lack thereof) in each individual part. 

And yet, a product (be it a movie, game, or whatever else) can be either lesser, or greater than the sum of it's parts. So simply assigning a number score based on how many individual parts are of a high production value, doesn't necessarily equate to the overall quality of the product.

Around the Network
Hiku said:

"Never heard of Stevivor? You have now."

Just checked out this guy's twitter and being stunned why reviewers unprofessional like this ever existed and really get the chance to review games, all he's done is complaining and giving a ridiculously low score for whatever I may not understand.

Just gonna copy/paste the to comment from the Destructoid Review...

"Reviews are strong it seems, i can still see the playerbase split in those what think its the best thing ever and those what think its the worst game ever. This is sure going to be a diverse game.

You know what though in these days of "AAA" "products" and "live services" its just nice to see a big budget game made by someone and his team with real passion who wants to share that with everyone else, this game has a voice and vision and is return to when gaming was more then just "live service" and endless DLC. Say what you will about Sony but i'm happy they are allowing and supporting games like this still. Kojima isn't for everyone i agree but gaming would be lesser without him."

Jpcc86 said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Personal enjoyment is the only way I rate games. If playing it is not enjoyable, no amount of technical feats is going to redeem it in my eyes. 

Your argument is comparable to saying critics who gave The Lion King (2019) a score lower than 6 were objectively wrong because the movie is visually stunning and top notch on a technical level.

Thats a fine and well position for someone who is just gonna take a game as a player/customer and wont have any sort of deep analysis of it other than his own personal experience/enjoyment with it, but someone who reviews games/movies/music/anyartform professionally - and its basically their job and get paid to do it -  cant have such a limited criteria. When it comes to film for example you take screenplay, visuals, editing, music, acting, directing and find the value (or lack thereof) in each individual part. 

I wasn't aware Chrkeller was I professional reviewer! DonFerrari told him he would be wrong to rate certain games under 6 and that's what I was reacting too. That aside, I do agree that if you work for an organisation you have to get in line with a certain way of reviewing games because the publication has to have some common ground between all its reviews no matter who does it.

About the film reviews, yes every individual parts are taken into account but it doesn't mean a score of 25 is "wrong" for a movie like The Lion King even though it excels in some categories.

Signature goes here!

Angelus said:
Jpcc86 said:

And yet, a product (be it a movie, game, or whatever else) can be either lesser, or greater than the sum of it's parts. So simply assigning a number score based on how many individual parts are of a high production value, doesn't necessarily equate to the overall quality of the product.

I absolutely agree. But my point is something else, what I mean is that 1 notable virtue/defect shouldnt make a "professional" reviewer ignore the rest. To your point tho, whatever added value the product has usually comes from external factors, and that usually makes the difference from it trascending or not. But trascendence is a different topic. 

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
Jpcc86 said:

I wasn't aware Chrkeller was I professional reviewer! DonFerrari told him he would be wrong to rate certain games under 6 and that's what I was reacting too.

I wasnt refering to him at all, I meant to say that while I understand your criteria (your personal ejoyment) for rating games, reviewers (in general) need to take all aspects into consideration, we are on the same boat on that point, Im just saying I kinda understand where DonFerrari is coming from, because - to put it in a certain way - if you give a 6 to a film that has 9-10 in every aspect, except one, and said one is a 4-5, then you need to have a good case to ignore all the 9-10 and give it a 6 overall. 

Congrats to that score but is this game some sort of parody? Is this trying to shit on open world game clichees? Looks like that to me, because the world seems huge but insanely empty, and the main gameplay mechanic - which is walking - is intentionally made cumbersome and laborious while the occasional story sprinkle is - classic Kojima - ambiguous at best and nonsensical at worst. And to top that off, the inventory management is painfully tiresome. Well, no thanks. But hey, at least it looks shiny, right?

Side note: I can't believe someone seriously praised the game for creating boredom. This is just too much bullshit for me.

GoOnKid said:

Congrats to that score but is this game some sort of parody? Is this trying to shit on open world game clichees? Looks like that to me, because the world seems huge but insanely empty, and the main gameplay mechanic - which is walking - is intentionally made cumbersome and laborious while the occasional story sprinkle is - classic Kojima - ambiguous at best and nonsensical at worst. And to top that off, the inventory management is painfully tiresome. Well, no thanks. But hey, at least it looks shiny, right?

Side note: I can't believe someone seriously praised the game for creating boredom. This is just too much bullshit for me.

It is what was showed in the trailers and it looks awesome for me and others that like that kind of gameplay,i'm not praising it for boredom because it will not bore me,that world is not empty but it is it's own character that you need to conquer.

A bit underwhelming but still a good review score.

Cerebralbore101 said:
Just gonna copy/paste the to comment from the Destructoid Review...

"Reviews are strong it seems, i can still see the playerbase split in those what think its the best thing ever and those what think its the worst game ever. This is sure going to be a diverse game.

You know what though in these days of "AAA" "products" and "live services" its just nice to see a big budget game made by someone and his team with real passion who wants to share that with everyone else, this game has a voice and vision and is return to when gaming was more then just "live service" and endless DLC. Say what you will about Sony but i'm happy they are allowing and supporting games like this still. Kojima isn't for everyone i agree but gaming would be lesser without him."

I just can't read 'live services' without doing so in a sneering, Jim Sterling voice...thanks a lot! 

As for this game, I agree. I absolutely love that it's a game with a AAA budget and an auteur at the helm, giving us something wholly unique and original. I don't think I'll enjoy this game at all, but the fact that it exists makes me feel all warm inside knowing that the medium can still be art. (Of course, I play a lot of indies, so I never lost sight of that even in the wake of modern cAAApitalism)

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android