By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Gap Charts September 2019 Discussion Thread

Gap Charts left to do for this month include:

• PS4 vs Wii - I'm going to continue this until the PS4 surpasses the Wii lifetime
  • PS4 vs Xbox One in the US 
  • Switch vs PS4 in the US
  • Xbox One vs Xbox 360 in the US
  • Switch vs 3DS and Wii U in the US
  • PlayStation 4 vs Xbox 360 in the US
  • PS4 vs PS3 in Japan
  • Switch vs PS4 in Japan - I will drop this one soon
  • Switch vs Wii in Japan

I'd like to do charts comparing to older consoles like the PS2, PS1, etc, but we don't have weekly sales data for anything older than the 7th generation (DS, PSP, 360, PS3, Wii).

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:

I'd like to do charts comparing to older consoles like the PS2, PS1, etc, but we don't have weekly sales data for anything older than the 7th generation (DS, PSP, 360, PS3, Wii).

What about monthly or yearly instead of weekly for the older consoles? I know this site doesn't have all that data but alot of it can be found on other forums, I could do some digging up if you want and @Shadow1980 has alot of old data compiled.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

morenoingrato said:
That XBOX Gap.
The Switch has come a long way.

Indeed, the gap was 28 million at Switch's launch and just 3.9 million now, so it has gained by roughly 24 million thus far.

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

I'd be interested to see a comparison of Switch with 360 and PS3 individually, since a lot of people's predictions have Switch landing close to those systems lifetime.

I've taken a quick look and the Switch is current light years ahead of the 360 and PS3 after 31 months. Xbox 360 is at 18.7M and the PlayStation 3 is at 20.9M. That is well below the 38.75M the Switch has sold to date. The 360 and PS3 had a long lifespan, so it is possible in a few years the gap will start to close. 

Ah, didn't realize the difference would be quite that stark. I suppose PS3/360 didn't exactly race out of the gates.

So Switch is so far selling twice as fast as the 360 and a little under twice as fast as PS3.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Wrong place :P

You can read the complete Article #9 and Analysis here:

PS4 vs Wii – VGChartz Gap Charts – September 2019

PlayStation 4 Vs. Wii Global:

Gap change in latest month: 672,947 – PS4

Gap change over last 12 months: 8,104,987 – PS4

Total Lead: 4,042,109 – PS4

PlayStation 4 Total Sales: 100,441,986

Wii Total Sales: 96,398,877

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:

Gap Charts left to do for this month include:

• PS4 vs Wii - I'm going to continue this until the PS4 surpasses the Wii lifetime
  • PS4 vs Xbox One in the US 
  • Switch vs PS4 in the US
  • Xbox One vs Xbox 360 in the US
  • Switch vs 3DS and Wii U in the US
  • PlayStation 4 vs Xbox 360 in the US
  • PS4 vs PS3 in Japan
  • Switch vs PS4 in Japan - I will drop this one soon
  • Switch vs Wii in Japan

Could you do a Switch vs. PS4 + Vita?  Preferably one for Japan and one globally.

How about Switch vs PSP?

The latter sold better than the 3DS after all.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:

How about Switch vs PSP?

The latter sold better than the 3DS after all.

It looks to be similar to the Switch vs PS3 and Xbox 360

You can read the complete Article #10 and Analysis here:

PS4 vs Xbox One in the US – VGChartz Gap Charts – September 2019

PS4 Vs. XOne US:

Gap change in latest month: 91,537 – PS4

Gap change over last 12 months: 774,427 – PS4

Total Lead: 4,283,541 – PS4

PS4 Total Sales: 30,104,812

Xbox One Total Sales: 25,821,271

You can read the complete Article #11 and Analysis here:

Switch vs PS4 in the US – VGChartz Gap Charts – September 2019

Switch Vs. PS4 US:

Gap change in latest month: 258,892 – Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 326,861 – Switch

Total Lead: 416,333 – PS4

Switch Total Sales: 13,468,458

PS4 Total Sales: 13,884,791