By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware 5 Oct 2019

curl-6 said:
zorg1000 said:

Taxes played a role but they are being overblown.

PS4 had a promotion going on in the last few weeks which has now ended.

Switch had Lite+Zelda 2 weeks ago and DQXI+special edition OG model last week.

Big drops were going to happen regardless of the tax hike.

I agree drops were going to happen anyway, it's just that the new taxes are a significant factor worth mentioning.

Is it? I don't think so. That equates to a difference of an extra $4-6 USD depending on the SKU. I can even imagine the mentality of a person who would be dissuaded form a purchase based on such a minuscule difference in price, let-alone it occurring on a mass scale. Here's a better example of a price hike from my own country, Canada, where we reward courage.

When the PS4 launched here in 2013, it's price was at parity with the US. As were almost all prices for all items for some years. However, thanks to an ongoing, and impossible to ignore devaluation of the Canadian dollar, a mere 2 months after launch, the price went up by $50. With tax, in my province, the difference was aprox $57. Although I highly doubt there was much impact on PS4 sales here, I cannot back that idea up. However: I highly doubt there was much impact on PS4 sales.

$4-6though? Bah!

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network
COKTOE said:
curl-6 said:

I agree drops were going to happen anyway, it's just that the new taxes are a significant factor worth mentioning.

Is it? I don't think so. That equates to a difference of an extra $4-6 USD depending on the SKU. I can even imagine the mentality of a person who would be dissuaded form a purchase based on such a minuscule difference in price, let-alone it occurring on a mass scale. Here's a better example of a price hike from my own country, Canada, where we reward courage.

When the PS4 launched here in 2013, it's price was at parity with the US. As were almost all prices for all items for some years. However, thanks to an ongoing, and impossible to ignore devaluation of the Canadian dollar, a mere 2 months after launch, the price went up by $50. With tax, in my province, the difference was aprox $57. Although I highly doubt there was much impact on PS4 sales here, I cannot back that idea up. However: I highly doubt there was much impact on PS4 sales.

$4-6though? Bah!

if the drop in sales this year aren't enough evidence for you to show that their is an effect, the last tax increase(april 2014 I believe) saw the same thing that is happening now 

Amnesia said:
Dulfite said:

What is this tax thing I keep hearing about?

From the 1st of Octobre, Japan increased a consumer tax, from 8 to 10%. This is directly an increase of 2% in every video games product...Or only for the eshop, this is not fully clear to me. Anyway, it has been a long time I had not brought the stock topic here, the share value has taken a strong hit from this, it has been now decreasing for a while because of the combinaison of these 3 events :

- Lite sales not reaching 300.000 at launch, even if we know these is completly stupid.

- The drif issue because some people spread the rumor that the stick was exactly the same but actually no one with serious qualification has really demonstrated it

- and to finish this tax. Last time, years ago still, when japan increased this tax from 5 to 8%, the whole economy of Japan has been stunned for half a year.

I think if the rumour was fake and is making Nintendo loose share value they really should release a statement saying that they adressed the drift problem, but I think they fixed nothing.

I know... my English sucks.

MasonADC said:
COKTOE said:

$4-6though? Bah!

if the drop in sales this year aren't enough evidence for you to show that their is an effect, the last tax increase(april 2014 I believe) saw the same thing that is happening now 

It's not enough evidence. I can't buy a f***ing Happy Meal for $4. It's not like it's a one-off scenario, where next week/month/whatever, things go back to the way they were. It's the new norm. You can't hide under some coats and wait it out.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

COKTOE said:
MasonADC said:

It's not enough evidence. I can't buy a f***ing Happy Meal for $4. It's not like it's a one-off scenario, where next week/month/whatever, things go back to the way they were. It's the new norm. You can't hide under some coats and wait it out.

A recession was caused last time...people panic because of this type of stuff 

Around the Network
MasonADC said:
COKTOE said:

A recession was caused last time...people panic because of this type of stuff 

It's just that simple right? Remember the great global recession of the aughts, that spanned 19 months from late 2007, to early 2009, where console sales literally did nothing but INCREASE? There are MULTIPLE instances of Japan going into recession in the last 30 years. At a glance, just as big as what happened in 2014, and of course, the still hypothetical one you're referencing right now. But let's focus on one week 2014 ,and this week, because sales of Switch and PS4 were lower in Japan. Break it down Rockefeller. I love to learn. Pick out more examples, because two aren't going to cut it. If you want to split the rocks of ignorance, that obscure the light of knowledge, by all means, have at it.

That's THREE Simpsons references in three posts. If you can identify them, I'll send you an autographed picture.

Last edited by COKTOE - on 14 October 2019

CrowRSchneider said:
Amnesia said:

From the 1st of Octobre, Japan increased a consumer tax, from 8 to 10%. This is directly an increase of 2% in every video games product...Or only for the eshop, this is not fully clear to me. Anyway, it has been a long time I had not brought the stock topic here, the share value has taken a strong hit from this, it has been now decreasing for a while because of the combinaison of these 3 events :

- Lite sales not reaching 300.000 at launch, even if we know these is completly stupid.

- The drif issue because some people spread the rumor that the stick was exactly the same but actually no one with serious qualification has really demonstrated it

- and to finish this tax. Last time, years ago still, when japan increased this tax from 5 to 8%, the whole economy of Japan has been stunned for half a year.

I think if the rumour was fake and is making Nintendo loose share value they really should release a statement saying that they adressed the drift problem, but I think they fixed nothing.

To admit publicly that they was been producing for 3 years defective consoles ?

I am a design engineer, and for me it is absolutly obvious that they have fixed it meanwhile, and that it is completly impossible to see for anyone except someone who has access to an industrial laboratory of measurement.

4.5million and Closing for the Switch to catch the X1, that happening before the end of year is a given now really, I think the chances of people running out this Christmas to buy an X1 are going to be about as common as those 111 people who accidentally bought it in Japan this week.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Amnesia said:
CrowRSchneider said:

To admit publicly that they was been producing for 3 years defective consoles ?

I am a design engineer, and for me it is absolutly obvious that they have fixed it meanwhile, and that it is completly impossible to see for anyone except someone who has access to an industrial laboratory of measurement.

especially when there is the looming Class action suit floating about on the internets, just waiting for that to get more traction so it can appear on TV adverts...

HAVE YOU OR A LOVED ONE BEEN PLAYING FORTNITE ON A SWITCH BETWEEN 2017 AND 2018?

HAS YOUR LOVED ONE MOVED SLIGHTLY TO THE LEFT AND EXCLAIMED "BULLSHIT" AFTER DYING?

THEN YOU COULD BE ENTITLED TO COMPENSATION FOR YOUR LOSS OF CHICKEN DINNERS!

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

COKTOE said:
curl-6 said:

$4-6though? Bah!

From what I remember MS was bold enough to keep price parity (and was even some people that gone from USA to Canada to buy it on the frontier in some tax free stores).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."