By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How would you feel if the PS5 dev kit design was actually the PS5 design?

Tagged games:

What do you think?

I would be fine with that 19 24.05%

It's irrelevant 9 11.39%

That looks pretty bad 15 18.99%

AMAZING! 8 10.13%

That s**t looks awful! 12 15.19%

Did we go back to the 90's? 3 3.80%

V for Vendetta 3 3.80%

Would rather have it look like a box 4 5.06%

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit 5 6.33%

Should continue to stack ... 1 1.27%

Total:79
kirby007 said:
BraLoD said:

You sure yours not broken?

My PS4 S usb ports work just fine.

My wired headset has a fat usbplug which doesnt fit so does my usb hub etc

The PS4 USB ports are not good. I have a handful of flash drives with bulbous plastic casings that won't fit into the the launch model or the Pro. I assume the slim has the same design.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
Chrkeller said:
Don't care either way. Price, lineup and power matter. Design seems largely irrelevant.

What if it looks like an used diaper?

If it were priced well and had great games I wanted, I'd buy it.  My consoles go on my entertainment stand, and I download games.  I tend to play games with the lights out.  I can't recall the last time I stared at my console.  It isn't my thing.  Aesthetic design of a console isn't even top 10 things I worry about.    

BraLoD said:
EricHiggin said:

It reminds me of GCN actually. More the controller than the console, but both seemed too much like a child's toy to see mass appeal as far as I was concerned, even though I didn't mind it since it was unique.

The PS5 dev kit looks kind of like a child's toy, or at least has that vibe to me. I would expect the closest consumer type design from PS to look something like this instead, which I wouldn't mind at all. The digital display is a bit much, but otherwise it's close to something I could actually see sitting on store shelves.

And no, a PS4/Pro design with a 5 stack for PS5 is absolutely unacceptable. Pro is borderline with 3 already.

I actually like the dev kit design better.

Not only the huge display, but the added curve inside the V... feels really strange.

And they used a Greatest Hits PS2 disc in the presentation, eww, they clearly have no taste!

Also, stacking is love. Here:

This is the future!

The dev kit isn't horrible, it's ok, and the color change and separation definitely helps, but I just don't see that design having the mass appeal that a more squared off box will. I felt they were pushing it with just the angle on PS4, so to see them go with something quite similar to the dev kit would be unexpected.

The concept design in the vid I believe would have a large fan in the middle where the curved portion is, which is why it has the holes there. The huge display is over the top, and while a much smaller display could be something they try to see how gamers react based on it's usefulness, I would still figure a display unlikely, especially with the talk of a revamped UI that's much more efficient and intuitive.

I don't know about you but I'm not giving up a hand to stabilize the thing. It would be a reason to include the optional stand as standard though.

By the way, with all the Roman hints coming out, should we potentially apply this to the console design? OMG.

PS5?

I just don't see it, mind you, there are some pretty crazy looking building's out there.

BraLoD said:
EricHiggin said:

PS5?

I just don't see it, mind you, there are some pretty crazy looking building's out there.

Lol, pretty cool theory.

PS : How do we attract gaming consumers, as well as challenge/stump building designers?

Ootori : Eureka!

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
EricHiggin said:

PS : How do we attract gaming consumers, as well as challenge/stump building designers?

Ootori : Eureka!

It'shappening.gif

0:22-0:38 & change blowing up/destroying to building a/erecting. That or assume V is working for MS in secret.

I would think "Its a Sony"

I don’t really care that much about design personally but it would look really strange given current design trends in consumer electronics.

If they kept it that look then Sony is asking me to wait for a slim model lol

BraLoD said:
Chrkeller said:
Don't care either way. Price, lineup and power matter. Design seems largely irrelevant.

What if it looks like an used diaper?

As long as it doesn't smell like one. The ones from my baby is enough.

COKTOE said:
kirby007 said:

My wired headset has a fat usbplug which doesnt fit so does my usb hub etc

The PS4 USB ports are not good. I have a handful of flash drives with bulbous plastic casings that won't fit into the the launch model or the Pro. I assume the slim has the same design.

And why do you guys buy this stuff? I rather use the slender and smallest possible usb stick available

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."