By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How bout dat Blizzard!? UPDATE: Blizzard responds with "China isn't involved please believe us!"

Will you boycott Blizzard?

Yes 46 63.01%

No 21 28.77%

See Results 6 8.22%

Total:73
Lonely_Dolphin said:

This was the best reaction? They could and should of just done nothing as what Blitzchung said offends nobody, well, nobody except the Chinese government lawlz. It was a 10 second comment during an interview, so it didn't get in the way of the event either.

"... as best it could ...", not the best. They banned the player and fined him his winnings. If they did nothing it would make those who invest feel they (a) don't care or (b) are happy for political messages to be broadcast. It would then mean other players doing the same thing, leading to more political messages being broadcast. The less they do the more of an issue it becomes. As I said, it was a little much, just tell him off or something after and remind him that they are to talk about the game not make political statements.

They still are a corporation wanting money and don't want to alienate all the people they want to play Diablo Immortal (because that certaintly isn't being made for us. :P)

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network

Blizzard are doing their best Kent Brockman impression. 

https://youtu.be/8lcUHQYhPTE

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever." - Spinal Tap

Zoombael said:
It's... understandable? The rational and dry: Are there clear guidelines / rules what doesnt go and what the penalties are? If there are and the now banned player was aware of the consequences then Blizzard did nothing wrong.

The "don't you guys have phones" on the other hand made me... emotional. Really emotional. I am not a fan of any Blizzard IP.

It was purely up to Blizzard's discretion, and they (*cough*China*cough*) decided wanting freedom is really bad so they should receive the harshest punishments possible.

The Fury said:

"... as best it could ...", not the best. They banned the player and fined him his winnings. If they did nothing it would make those who invest feel they (a) don't care or (b) are happy for political messages to be broadcast. It would then mean other players doing the same thing, leading to more political messages being broadcast. The less they do the more of an issue it becomes. As I said, it was a little much, just tell him off or something after and remind him that they are to talk about the game not make political statements.

They still are a corporation wanting money and don't want to alienate all the people they want to play Diablo Immortal (because that certaintly isn't being made for us. :P)

Pardon my bad phrasing, but they definitely could have done better. While his message is political, it's one everyone should agree with so it wouldn't cause division, it's also not offensive nor instigates violence. That's just an assumption that there will suddenly be a bandwagon. If it happens they can deal with it then, no need to destroy people's careers and support oppression over a what if.

Really though, they did not do this just to enforce the rules. China most certainly made them do it by threatening to take away their precious moneys.

I just know that Blizzcon this year is going to be really entertaining.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Had the wrong video in the OP, replaced with one that has the full info, namely the rules that were violated.

Around the Network

I honestly thought this was going to be about the biblical blizzard occurring in North Dakota right now. Guess now lol

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

What does really goes to show you is how much power the Chinese government wields. Everybody is bending over backwards to please the Chinese Communists in hope that maybe they'll loosen the range on access to their market. I understand the business reasons behind what companies do in situations like this. Nevertheless, I do not support licking the boots communist scumbags like the Chinese government.

VAMatt said:
What does really goes to show you is how much power the Chinese government wields. Everybody is bending over backwards to please the Chinese Communists in hope that maybe they'll loosen the range on access to their market. I understand the business reasons behind what companies do in situations like this. Nevertheless, I do not support licking the boots communist scumbags like the Chinese government.

It's really no different than the companies who looked the other way so they could continue to operate in Nazi Germany. China has slave labor and concentration camps, too.  Of course, these companies would deny they would ever work with Hitler. But what they don't see is that Hitler/Nazis, by any other name, still smell just as foul.

Blizzard lost my goodwill when they couldn't make SC2 a better game than SCBW.

This just seals the deal.

I'm done with them.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Im way ahead of the game, Ive been boycotting Blizzard for the last 4 years.