By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Cross-play on PlayStation 4 is now available for all developers to use in their games

Mr Puggsly said:

Damn, this is gonna ruin online gaming on PlayStation because...

Uhm... I can't remember the arguments being made by Sony fans that actually opposed this. I just know its bad for some reason.

~User was warned for this comment.
- Hiku

Looking at comments in this thread, I see some usual faces not excited about this.

Personally, I think crossplay is great. Consumers want it and it could help keep games with small populations stay active.

I was simply preparing you guys for the lack of a enthusiasm from a certain fan base.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

d21lewis said:
This can only be a good thing!

...and now, to read the comments.

. haaa. I think think-man had some good thoughts. Don't you like a nice walled garden?

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Cerebralbore101 said:
Not being able to play online with people on another system has been industry standard since the days of the Dreamcast. People that complain about lack of crossplay in a game are the same people that think console exclusives are evil. They are the same people that desperately want Stadia to take off.

Just because something doesn't necessarily need to change doesn't mean it shouldn't ever change. That's like saying "i'm a pretty healthy person already, so there's no reason for me to ever eat healthier food or exercise" or "I have plenty of friends so there's no reason for me to ever go out and meet new people, why would I need more of them". Sure, you don't need to, but there's no disadvantage to doing so, you're only gaining from it. 

As with cross-play, there are only benefits to this. And most games have the option to turn it off if you don't want to use it. So why complain just because it's not what you're used to if you're not losing anything to it? 

The Fury said:

This whole debate was one of the weirdest this gen had, people acted like PS4 never had it when some games aren't even on Xbox because it did.

Sony was open to crossplay early on if I remember correct. Then MS decided they didn't want to do crossplay which is apparently why FFXIV skipped Xbox.

Eventually MS changed their mind then was open to it, then Sony didn't want it.

Out of spite some people just don't want crossplay now, as you can see by lack of enthusiasm in comments, I feel primarily as an anti Xbox thing.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

think-man said:
I hope you can turn the feature off, i don't want to cross play in shooters, pc would have too much of an advantage. Not only that PC games are usually prone to cheaters. Take Apex Legends for example, free to play game, if you get banned for cheating you just make another account and continue cheating. I don't want that to happen when I'm playing, it's enough to put me off entirely and just go back to single player games.

Generally speaking I imagine PC will be kept out in competitive games where a mouse and keyboard give a huge advantage (shooters). The cheating thing on PC also a problem. Crossplay for the most part is gonna be about Xbox and Playstation games.

However, I feel MS has found a pretty good balance between Xbox and Windows Store (PC) crossplay. For shooters crossplay is sometimes limited to co-op modes. Meanwhile there are many games that don't give players an edge due to their controls.

Recently Completed

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
think-man said:
I hope you can turn the feature off, i don't want to cross play in shooters, pc would have too much of an advantage. Not only that PC games are usually prone to cheaters. Take Apex Legends for example, free to play game, if you get banned for cheating you just make another account and continue cheating. I don't want that to happen when I'm playing, it's enough to put me off entirely and just go back to single player games.

Generally speaking I imagine PC will be kept out in competitive games where a mouse and keyboard give a huge advantage (shooters). The cheating thing on PC also a problem. Crossplay for the most part is gonna be about Xbox and Playstation games.

However, I feel MS has found a pretty good balance between Xbox and Windows Store (PC) crossplay. For shooters crossplay is sometimes limited to co-op modes. Meanwhile there are many games that don't give players an edge due to their controls.

I don't mind Xbox to ps4, just no pc :)

Hiku said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Looking at comments in this thread, I see some usual faces not excited about this.

Personally, I think crossplay is great. Consumers want it and it could help keep games with small populations stay active.

I was simply preparing you guys for the lack of a enthusiasm from a certain fan base.

If you see someone in the thread saying something you think is questionable and you want to call them out on it, just quote/tag them.
If you say 'Sony fans' or 'some Sony fans' in these situations, then the people who should be seeing your comment may not see it. And others may think you're referring to them (when you're not), or disagree that this was a prevalent opinion, etc.

Ohh i did

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Mr Puggsly said:

Sony was open to crossplay early on if I remember correct. Then MS decided they didn't want to do crossplay which is apparently why FFXIV skipped Xbox.

Eventually MS changed their mind then was open to it, then Sony didn't want it.

Out of spite some people just don't want crossplay now, as you can see by lack of enthusiasm in comments, I feel primarily as an anti Xbox thing.

I'm more than happy for it, having played games with dieing player bases but larger games like Fortnite or CoD have the player bases to not need it and give a better playing field and yet those are the ones people are asking for it on, FPS where I don't want to go against PC users? No thanks. Tekken 7 where the tournament online section might throw up 1 tournament for me to play? Yes please. Although Harada didn't do Cross play because he didn't like the idea of PC exploits affecting console users, a different problem entirely.

I just find it odd that Sony became the villain suddenly when they already did many cross plays but just because it MS asked when people wanted it on Fortnite when it was MS early policies that as you say meant FF14 isn't on Xbox.

Hmm, pie.

Cerebralbore101 said:
KLAMarine said:

"No reason for it to change either."

>Unless people are asking for it. Third parties that port games to your console are asking for it, consumers are asking for it, your competition can boast about it.

"People might as well complain that Sony controllers don't have the same thumbstick layout as Xbox controllers."

>If enough people demand it, Sony might be forced to provide an alternative to the usual layout.

The majority of people asking for it aren't Playstation users though. Even in an online poll, where even Xbox/PC users could respond only 29% of people polled actually cared. http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2018/09/poll_do_you_care_about_cross-play_now_that_its_available_on_ps4 A poll limited to PS users would come back with 15% or less giving a damn about it. 

Edit: Here's another poll taken about crossplay. The results are similar. https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-04-12-do-gamers-really-care-about-cross-platform-play

Third parties asked Sony for Xbox One style DRM back in 2013. Should Sony have caved to that too? Third parties only want crossplay so that they can keep their shitty GaaS MTX infested games alive a little longer, to milk even more money out of them. Bad games die faster if the userbase is split between three or four platforms. 

Xbox only boasts about it because its' damned near the only thing they can boast about. They manufactured the entire controversy. Of course they allowed crossplay on Xbox and PC. They are invested in both platforms. And yes Nintendo did allow crossplay on a handful of games, but let's not kid ourselves. MS was looking to drive the narrative to benefit themselves. 

Nobody is demanding an alternate thumbstick layout on PS because nobody cares. If MS started boasting about how they have "the superior thumbstick layout" and "only sony forces you to play with both thumbsticks at the bottom of the controller" we would see threads by people who suddenly cared. We would see news articles promoting the idea. Anyway, my point is that the entire crossplay controversy is only an issue because MS made it an issue, for their own benefit. Normally nobody would give a damn. 

"The majority of people asking for it aren't Playstation users though. Even in an online poll, where even Xbox/PC users could respond only 29% of people polled actually cared. http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2018/09/poll_do_you_care_about_cross-play_now_that_its_available_on_ps4 A poll limited to PS users would come back with 15% or less giving a damn about it. 

Edit: Here's another poll taken about crossplay. The results are similar. https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-04-12-do-gamers-really-care-about-cross-platform-play"

>That's nice and all but who cares what indifferent people think? They're indifferent. Baddman below on the other hand seems to have enough reason to care about this.

"Third parties asked Sony for Xbox One style DRM back in 2013. Should Sony have caved to that too?"

>No but DRM and cross-play are different. Clearly.

"Third parties only want crossplay so that they can keep their shitty GaaS MTX infested games alive a little longer, to milk even more money out of them."

>If someone wants to spend on these games, that's completely up to them.

"Bad games die faster if the userbase is split between three or four platforms. "

>Good games die faster too so that's neither here nor there.

"Xbox only boasts about it because its' damned near the only thing they can boast about. They manufactured the entire controversy. Of course they allowed crossplay on Xbox and PC. They are invested in both platforms. And yes Nintendo did allow crossplay on a handful of games, but let's not kid ourselves. MS was looking to drive the narrative to benefit themselves."

>To benefit themselves and benefit consumers as well. Baddman's kids below look to benefit from cross-play. Good on Microsoft, they deserve every bit of praise. Sony on the other hand was hijacking Fortnite accounts at their worst.

Baddman said:

happy for this my kids mainly game on xbox and their cousin games on ps4 now they can play more than just fortnite together online hopefully

Edit: very immature of you guys just because you aren't interested in it to be dismissive of those who this benefits.

Hiku said:

Aaaand like clockwork, here's an announcement trailer about it from none other than Xbox.

Kudos Microsoft!