By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Cross-play on PlayStation 4 is now available for all developers to use in their games

Cerebralbore101 said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

1. Nintendo handhelds haven't gotten third party support as strong as MicroSony home consoles. Not even close.
2. What do sales of handheld games have to do with third party support on their consoles? lol you don't even know what you're arguing here.

Oh man that's so good for BotW that it could have sold 40-50 million on a MicroSony strategy. Again, who cares? Irrelevant to anything I said. I brought up Witcher 3 having less of a return on investment could have resulted in a smaller, cheaper game. For some reason you replied with sales numbers for Zelda, as if they're related somehow.

I know how the console market has worked ever since Sony entered it. They and MS lose money on hardware with the intent on making up for it on software, both their own and licensing fees from third party software. Are you honestly not aware that this is how they operate or are you just faking ignorance?

lol I never said zero first party games ever could not possibly get as much revenue as multiplat games. There are literally hundreds of smaller titles released every gen and lots of super big first party titles that outsell them. It's adorable to see you go to freaking Zelda to try and disprove some point I never made.

No, there is no main disagreement there. Of course a first party game can get the budget of a multiplat. I'm playing through Outer Worlds right now. I doubt its budget was even 1/4 of Last of Us 2. See? Easy. The "main disagreement" was this idea you put forth that some games are designed to sell consoles and some aren't and they aren't as good because of that. An idea you've backed up with zero evidence or logic btw

Sure, if you want to be ignorant about CD3 development, sure. It's a waste of time to correct you. It was you who said "made to sell consoles". Not surprised.

Both games have their fair share of troll user reviews. That's all that needed to be said for you to prove my point for me, thanks. All the more reason to ignore something as stupid as user reviews.

I'm just gonna bow out until you can actually provide some depth to that nonsense about games selling consoles.

Go look at the DS library. While, it didn't have as many games as 360/PS3 it had a much more varied and original library. Gone was the yearly GuitarHero/SportsGames/Racing/FPS/Ubisoft bloat. 

There was a vast sea of fantastic 3rd party games on DS, GBA, GB, etc. And yet Nintendo games still sold well on those systems. So again, your theory that Nintendo games only sell well because of a lack of 3rd party support is bunk. 

Oh man that's so good for BotW that it could have sold 40-50 million on a MicroSony strategy. Again, who cares? Irrelevant to anything I said. I brought up Witcher 3 having less of a return on investment could have resulted in a smaller, cheaper game. For some reason you replied with sales numbers for Zelda, as if they're related somehow. 

It is relevant. They are related. 

Our main argument here has to do with budget for games. You said that Witcher 3 would have been a less ambitious game because of a lack of sales from being exclusive. 

I countered with Zelda sales, which you continually attempt to brush off because "Nintendo games don't count."

Fine by me though. Playstation exclusives sell stupidly high amounts as well. Just look at God of War for example. It's passed 10 million sales in a little under a year. That's half of Witcher 3's lifetime sales in a fraction of the time. 

Consider that God of War fueled the sales of more PS4s. Which in turn fueled platform royalty fees. Which means that the overall money made from a single copy of GoW is much higher than the overall money made from a single copy of Witcher 3. 

But I'm sure that "doesn't count" either. 

I know how the console market has worked ever since Sony entered it. They and MS lose money on hardware with the intent on making up for it on software, both their own and licensing fees from third party software. Are you honestly not aware that this is how they operate or are you just faking ignorance?

That is literally what I was arguing for. They lose money on hardware (and pump extra time/money into their exclusives) with the intent of pumping up their total number of platforms sold, and then making all that money back on licensing fees. What you said earlier made me think you were denying these basic facts about how the console market worked. Oh well, at least we agree on something. 

The "main disagreement" was this idea you put forth that some games are designed to sell consoles and some aren't and they aren't as good because of that.

It was you who said "made to sell consoles". Not surprised.

Made to sell consoles =/= designed to sell consoles. You are the one that started saying "designed to sell consoles" in order to pose the question of "what would have been better about Witcher 3?"

Yes, some games are made to sell consoles, and because of that they get extra development time, and budget. This in turn makes those games far better than their 3rd party brethren. 

But again, this is mostly a budgeting issue. And despite providing a game in the same genre, on a console that isn't even at the halfway point yet, you want to deny it. Funny. 

TLOU with PS3 and PS4 probably already oversold TW3 or is close, UC4 sold over 16M so it is very close to TW3.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:

Go look at the DS library. While, it didn't have as many games as 360/PS3 it had a much more varied and original library. Gone was the yearly GuitarHero/SportsGames/Racing/FPS/Ubisoft bloat. 

There was a vast sea of fantastic 3rd party games on DS, GBA, GB, etc. And yet Nintendo games still sold well on those systems. So again, your theory that Nintendo games only sell well because of a lack of 3rd party support is bunk. 

This is revisionist history. There was stronger third party support on older Nintendo handhelds than more recent ones but lol, you're going all the way back to the Game Boy. My point is proven, especially considering that MicroSony consoles didn't even exist back then. Either way at the end of the day the home consoles still saw far superior third party support.

It is relevant. They are related. 

Our main argument here has to do with budget for games. You said that Witcher 3 would have been a less ambitious game because of a lack of sales from being exclusive. 

I countered with Zelda sales, which you continually attempt to brush off because "Nintendo games don't count."

Fine by me though. Playstation exclusives sell stupidly high amounts as well. Just look at God of War for example. It's passed 10 million sales in a little under a year. That's half of Witcher 3's lifetime sales in a fraction of the time. 

Consider that God of War fueled the sales of more PS4s. Which in turn fueled platform royalty fees. Which means that the overall money made from a single copy of GoW is much higher than the overall money made from a single copy of Witcher 3. 

But I'm sure that "doesn't count" either. 

No. Again, the main argument is the idea that some games are designed to sell consoles and thus are better than ones that aren't. You're spinning it off into this Witcher vs Zelda budget crap. Yes, Witcher 3 could have been a less ambitious game had CDPR knew their potential sales were one platform versus four. You don't need to "counter" that idea, it's common sense.

Hold up, you're telling me Sony makes more money per copy of their own  title, of which they recoup 100% of the money a retailer spends to buy it, versus a third party title, where all Sony gets per copy sold is a licensing fee? Wow, my mind is blown. Please make some more irrelevant game comparisons, I love reading them.

Made to sell consoles =/= designed to sell consoles. You are the one that started saying "designed to sell consoles" in order to pose the question of "what would have been better about Witcher 3?"

Yes, some games are made to sell consoles, and because of that they get extra development time, and budget. This in turn makes those games far better than their 3rd party brethren. 

But again, this is mostly a budgeting issue. And despite providing a game in the same genre, on a console that isn't even at the halfway point yet, you want to deny it. Funny. 

lol are you really harping on "designed" vs "made"? In this context they are literally synonyms.

Congratulations on trying to provide substance to your silly theory about games made to sell consoles, but all you're describing there are big budget games vs smaller budget games. For every amazing first party title you list that got extra love and care and got great reviews, I can list at least one third party title that the developer made with zero intentions of selling consoles.

Did Sony try less with a title like Concrete Genie or Medievil than they're trying with Last of Us 2? In all cases they're trying to make great games that will make you want to buy a PS4. No different than what MS does with their games. When they make CD3 or Horizon 4, they're trying to make great games that will pull you to Xbox. They just didn't have the stable of quality developers this gen that Sony had. That's why they went out and bought some. The idea that they don't care about moving hardware with the games is complete nonsense.

There's no point in arguing, with you, that the Nintendo handheld line, even in modern times, had as good 3rd party support as MicroSony. You just want to count the number of 3rd games on MicroSony consoles, without bothering to account for all the bloat. The yearly FPS/Ubisoft/Sports/Racing bloat isn't something you want to account for. 

If the Witcher 3 would have been a Sony exclusive it would have gotten a bigger budget, because Sony would have been more than happy to fund it even further in order to sell more PS4s. Again, this is a budget/time issue. Keep denying it I guess. 

Design and Made are not synonyms. Leonardo da Vinci designed a ton of inventions. Many of them were never made. 

But what about Concrete Genie, and MediEvil? On average Sony's games are better than Microsoft's and 3rd party developers overall. Same goes for Nintendo. There may be games in both Sony and Nintendo's libraries that are not even 8/10 material, but that doesn't take away from the fact that their overall average quality is higher than individual 3rd party developers, or MS. You may want to zero in on these two games, but statistically speaking a game being a first party Sony/Nintendo exclusive automatically increases its odds of coming out as a better game overall. But of course, instead of looking at the overall statistical big picture you are going to zone in on these two games. 

P.S. I'm done with this thread now. Respond if you want or not. 

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 25 October 2019

Nintendo handhelds get loads and loads of bloat as well, even more than Wii got. I don’t think you really have a grasp of the libraries 😆

Like I said, in this context, design and made are synonyms. I could go back and edit every post where I said designed and change it to made and it wouldn’t change the meaning a bit. I understand you need straws to grasp, though.