By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - DQXI Switch in the West

Dragon Quest has not made much of an impact in the west, and I think a large part of that is due to poor marketing. I've been seeing a lot of DQXI Switch advertisements, promotional material, etcetera, and it makes me wonder if this version of the game will be the one to hit big in the west.

I do recall hearing that DQXI had the best selling launch in the west, doubling the previous record, which is great, but the reality is that sales were less than stellar, all things considered. I'm not sure if this is accurate or not, but this Tweet states that DQXI managed 4 million worlwide, and 3.4m of which were Japan. That leaves 600k for the rest of the world.

https://mobile.twitter.com/gamedatalibrary/status/1059999628089876482

Have you played DQXI? If so, what platform? Thoughts on the game? Can it reach 1m total sales in the west?

Around the Network

Played it on the ps4 when it launched. Best rpg in over a decade.

Playing right now the Switch version, I hope it gets to 1M in the west because it fixes so many small nuisances and adds so much on top of that, this deserves all the love it gest. The wait was worth it.

Dragon Quest's low western sales have nothing to do with marketing. All JRPG fans are aware of Dragon Quest. It has to do with a lack of interest; the west is not interested in Dragon Quest. Its too traditional. Monster Hunter used to be like this as well and it took a total redesign of the series to capture western audiences.

Combined western sales will definitely be over a mill, but it will still be a Japanese thing.

Played it on ps4 incresible jrpg, this is what final fantasy should be, a awesome old school jrpg.

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
Played it on the ps4 when it launched. Best rpg in over a decade.

Same, and I think it was the best RPG I played since DQ9, which I have extremely fond memories of, and have played through twice fully.

I met my wife while we were going to University, and we spent almost all our time together. When summer break came after our first school year together, we had to spend that time apart (except for occasional visits on the weekends). I went back to live at my mom's house while working part-time, and she did the same at her parents house (50 miles away).

We both bought copies of DQ9 the day it came out, and we spent a large part of our summer playing through the game. We had some 300+ hours of playtime apiece, and they used to have downloadable content via the Nintendo WFC, which would give you new quests and exclusive items on a weekly basis (and I think there was a daily shop you could visit to buy rare items).

We were both obsessed with DQ9, and now that we are married, and it's been ten years since then, we were both very excited for DQXI, and we bought a copy the day of release. It took me many months to finish the game, and I still have some post-game content that I haven't completed yet, but it is an epic adventure, with awesome characters, and so much content.

The one thing I wish DQXI had is grottos.

my first DQ game since DQ8(best rpg on ps2 imo) held off on getting the ps4 version as I wanted to see if what they might add as well as how it would look in comparison to it and sure happy I did . Loving the game so far and I love the soundtrack

For what it's worth the game has been doing quite well on Amazon US, being right behind Link's Awakening at the #5 spot for about a week now.

https://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-video-games/zgbs/videogames/?_encoding=UTF8&ref_=sv_vg_13

I think it'll at least do better than it did on PS4. Though, I honestly don't care if Dragon Quest becomes huge in the west. I just want it to sell enough for the games to keep getting localized. So, I think the series will be fine from here on out. The game has a great metascore, great reviews, tons of content, Japanese VO, voice acting... Hero is in Smash...I don't know what else Square could do to make the west care about DQ as much as Japan does.

People say Dragon Quest is too traditional, but there are games that are as traditional as Dragon Quest in terms of gameplay that do just fine (Pokemon, Persona is turn based, non action, etc.) Bottom line for me is, no it's not Final Fantasy in terms of sales, but it's far from the bottom of the JRPG totem pole in the west. You have series like Legend of Heroes, Ys, Shin Megami Tensei, Tales, Mana, that don't perform all that well in the west but still have active fanbases fueled behind regular localizations. That's all I really can expect from more niche JRPGs. And to be honest, I'm fine with that.

Last edited by Ljink96 - on 30 September 2019

I love rpgs but I have never been able to really enjoy dq games, they are too long, too grindy, they basically feel like nes rpgs with modern graphics, sorry to disappoint people wanting this series to take off in the west but final fantasy or persona this is not, at least not now...

gamingsoul said:
I love rpgs but I have never been able to really enjoy dq games, they are too long, too grindy, they basically feel like nes rpgs with modern graphics, sorry to disappoint people wanting this series to take off in the west but final fantasy or persona this is not, at least not now...

When was the last DQ you played? Couldn't have been XI as you don't grind in that game. Unless you willingly use the Draconian rule sets to make it harder on yourself. True, FF is huge in the west but Persona...eh...it's still pretty niche all things considered. A lot of people are vocal about Persona but FF, it is not. There are DQ games that have sold as well if not better than P5 in the west (DQ8 and DQ9 come to mind with DQIX doing 1.5M outside Japan across NA and EU. In April 2019, P5 shipped 2.4M WW including Digital across PS3 and PS4. I don't know the breakdown of this by region.

DQ games since DQ8 have not really been NES like. 1-7 sure those all played like NES games but 8 became more like FF before XI. 

Last edited by Ljink96 - on 30 September 2019