Forums - Sales Discussion - DQXI Switch in the West

RaptorChrist said:

Dragon Quest has not made much of an impact in the west, and I think a large part of that is due to poor marketing. I've been seeing a lot of DQXI Switch advertisements, promotional material, etcetera, and it makes me wonder if this version of the game will be the one to hit big in the west.

I do recall hearing that DQXI had the best selling launch in the west, doubling the previous record, which is great, but the reality is that sales were less than stellar, all things considered. I'm not sure if this is accurate or not, but this Tweet states that DQXI managed 4 million worlwide, and 3.4m of which were Japan. That leaves 600k for the rest of the world.

https://mobile.twitter.com/gamedatalibrary/status/1059999628089876482

Have you played DQXI? If so, what platform? Thoughts on the game? Can it reach 1m total sales in the west?

Depends on the tracker you source. Media Create had a lower number, and Gematsu reported as much as 800k shipped in the West.

I would be surprised if the PS4/PC version of DQ11 hasn't passed a million.

Game is quite good though. I played through on PS4 and sunk quite a lot of time on it. I think Switch owners who missed the original release should download the demo and give it a shot. It's a very well crafted JRPG.

Last edited by outlawauron - on 30 September 2019

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

Loving the replay through (despite the resolution being unnecessarily low). I believe and hope it will do quite well in the West but the awful mobile ports of 1,2, and 3 on Switch aren't helping.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Make Your Switch Games Sharper! Improve Picture Quality without Hacks or Mods – Bit Sized, Episode 4

StuOhQ said:
Loving the replay through (despite the resolution being unnecessarily low). I believe and hope it will do quite well in the West but the awful mobile ports of 1,2, and 3 on Switch aren't helping.

Aren't they suppose to be remake SNES Style of the original trilogy ? Shouldn't that be better than the outdated NES aesthetic ?

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

StuOhQ said:

Yea, when it was first announced I was kind of excited for the first 3 DQ games, then I see their eshop page, they look so ugly and low effort, the bad text font and coloring of Toriyama's work doesn't do it any favors either and the current synth for the music instead of the far superior NES and SNES soundfont.

ARamdomGamer said:
StuOhQ said:

Yea, when it was first announced I was kind of excited for the first 3 DQ games, then I see their eshop page, they look so ugly and low effort, the bad text font and coloring of Toriyama's work doesn't do it any favors either and the current synth for the music instead of the far superior NES and SNES soundfont.

Aaaaaah, now his comment makes more sense ^^

Honestly, I'm probably gonna pick DQXI this December and then later on, I'll pick V and VII for DS/3DS collection, heard they're great games in the series !

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
I'm planning on getting it, despite finding 7 on the 3da (my only Dq experience) to be off-putting, though I never finished it. That said, the hold up right now is the fact that my Switch backlog is already stupid huge. I'm just now getting to Astral Chain, and the next two games will be Luigi's Mansion 3 and Links Awakening before I even have time to buy DQ11, unless someone can prove to me that it is a superior game to either of those two in terms of what I enjoy. I'm hoping DQ11 is considerably better and less grindy feeling than 7.

I played through VII on the 3DS and found that it didn't quite lead up to my expectations, after having played through IX twice and enjoyed parts of VIII. They did a really great job with the models and animations, but they didn't do a great job with the UI. They kept the old-school way of organising inventory items, and there was even an annoying input delay, which made battles seem sluggish at times.

It took me well over 100 hours before I beat the game, but I'm curious what you meant by grindy? While I do agree that 7 had lots of enemy encounters, my biggest complaint would probably be how easy the game was (at least the first 80% of it). Near the end it finally got somewhat challenging, although I don't think I ever wiped during my entire playthrough.

I think it's very possible that you find XI to be an amazing game despite not enjoying 7 as much as you'd've liked. XI was one of the very best games ever made, in my opinion, although I can't speak for the Switch version. Playing on PS4 Pro was jaw-dropping, though. Enemies looked so beautiful and the world was massive. Dragon Quest is a very uplifting, charming series, that always makes me feel happy inside, and XI had that about it in spades.

(I apologize for interchanging 7 and VII; I know that annoys some people.)

StuOhQ said:

Agree completely. Square has been doing this with a lot of their games. I don't like when they increase the resolution of the UI compared to the rest of the game... or rather, they seem to re-do the UI with a generic type-face against a plain background color; who thought this was a good idea?

Xxain said:
Hiku said:

I bet it's not uncommon for people to not be interested in franchises they've never tried before.
Persona 5 is not very different from previous installments. It only scored 3 points higher than Persona 4. But it reached a much bigger audience this time. 

Spiderman also sold significantly more than any previous Spiderman game, and more than any superhero game in history even, iirc.

I think both presentation and marketing plays an important role in these scenarios where they manage to reach people that were previously uninterested in the franchise/genre.

Square Enix has attempted multiple times to strengthen Dragon Quest foothold in the west though. At this point if you consider yourself a JRPG fan then you know what Dragon Quest is. These JRPG fans are buying Persona, they're buying Nier, they're buying Tales, Xeno, but not Dragon Quest. It cant be a marketing thing.

Yeah, I'm sure most potential Jrpg-fan customers know what Dragon Quest is. But there are those who know it, but think it won't be something they'll particularly like. A friend of mine that's been a big Jrpg fan since the SNES days always knew about Dragon Quest, but didn't try it until DQ11 for some reason. And now he's interested in trying some of the older ones.

I played Dragon Quest VIII on PS2 and had a ton of fun with that game. Much more fun than with Final Fantasy VII, VIII, IX and X.
I bought DQ XI S for Switch but haven't played it yet. I can't imagine that this game will disappoint me.

While it's true that DQ might not have the best appeal to the western audience, but let's not ignore the absolute lack of promotion when it initially launched, that definately did not help it.

Neither Square or Sony did much of promotion for it. Nintendo has been better in this regard and I think it might show, will be surprised if it doesnt sell better on NSW compared to PS4/Steam.