By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Dragon Quest XI S reviews: Meta 90, OC 91

PotentHerbs said:
RedKingXIII said:

It has more content and a way better soundtrack, I'll take that over pretty graphics any day.

How much more content though? 

Because if it performs worse, and is a downgrade graphically, that would usually knock a review score down (IE. Days Gone & Crackdown 3).

As others have said, it has a 2D version of the game, dual audio, orchestrated and MIDI soundtracks, new story arcs for characters and more QoL changes. Yes, I believe it deserves a higher score than the PS4. And about the visuals... It's running on 30fps, the same framerate of the base PS4 iirc and it doesn't even look that bad, considering the hardware it's running. Here's a few screenshots that I took from the demo:

Spoiler!

It still is a good looking game, just not as good as the PS4 version, for obvious reasons.

Around the Network

Heh, people complain about a drop in visuals on a game with cartoon graphics. I suppose these same people will only play Minecraft in 4k. Cartoon visuals are kind of an equalizer, because cartoons don't have the same level of detail as real life does anyway.

Music, on the other hand is a big deal, especially in a turn based RPG. I can go back and and enjoy 16-bit RPGs if the music is good enough. What do you think made Octopath Traveler and Undertale so popular? The graphics? Both those games have exceptionally good music. Music can make or break a turn based RPG.

another 90% meta feather in the hat of the Switch this year, awesome to see the system is not only getting ports of games like this and Ori but also now it's becoming more common for them to be getting extra content or extra visuals in the case of Ori over their original versions, no longer is it being the norm for the Switch version to be a feature stripped last gen port but now on par ports of current gen titles from ps4/x1 That's great to see more of.

Hope they get a return on the extra modes / music added to this version.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

RedKingXIII said:
Random_Matt said:
Looks worse and performs worse, cannot take any of those reviews seriously.

It has more content and a way better soundtrack, I'll take that over pretty graphics any day.

The original looks and performs betterso the score shouldnt be higher than the original just because they added more content after almost 2 years. I can guarantee you that persona 5 royal will not score higher than the original. Ff15 royal edition has way more content than the original but it scored lower than the original.  I can name you more games that had more content but didnt score as well as the original 

Pinkie_pie said:
RedKingXIII said:

The original looks and performs betterso the score shouldnt be higher than the original just because they added more content after almost 2 years. I can guarantee you that persona 5 royal will not score higher than the original. Ff15 royal edition has way more content than the original but it scored lower than the original.  I can name you more games that had more content but didnt score as well as the original 

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-2/shin-megami-tensei-persona-3

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-2/shin-megami-tensei-persona-3-fes

Around the Network
Shaunodon said:
Pinkie_pie said:

Im talking about persona 5. Explain to me why ff15 royal scored lower than the original? Or gta 5 ps4 scored the same as the ps3 version when ps4 version has more content, soundtracks, looks and performs better. Or ff10 original scored way higher than the ps4 version? Fairy fencer f on ps4 has more content, looks and performs better than the original but didnt score hight. The list goes on and on

Pinkie_pie said:
Shaunodon said:

Im talking about persona 5. Explain to me why ff15 royal scored lower than the original? Or gta 5 ps4 scored the same as the ps3 version when ps4 version has more content, soundtracks, looks and performs better. Or ff10 original scored way higher than the ps4 version? Fairy fencer f on ps4 has more content, looks and performs better than the original but didnt score hight. The list goes on and on

Why should I have to explain it to you? Did you actually read all the reviews for all the games you've mentioned to see what their feelings were? I simply showed that this isn't the first time a newer version of a game has scored higher, and so there's precedence.

FFXV- "Although I appreciate what the Royal Pack has brought to the lore of Insomnia, its paltry additions may only appeal to the most hardcore fans who don’t mind replaying the definitive edition of a single chapter."

As for basically every other game you mention (you felt Fairy Fencer was worth mentioning?), they were all released well after the original versions, and thus would be expected to have vast improvements.

For the record, and most ironically, Persona 4 Golden also scored a few points higher on metacritic than it's original. Did you even bother to check either Persona 3 or 4 before making your rather ill-looking "guarantee" about Persona 5 Royal?

Shaunodon said:
Pinkie_pie said:

Why should I have to explain it to you? Did you actually read all the reviews for all the games you've mentioned to see what their feelings were? I simply showed that this isn't the first time a newer version of a game has scored higher, and so there's precedence.

FFXV- "Although I appreciate what the Royal Pack has brought to the lore of Insomnia, its paltry additions may only appeal to the most hardcore fans who don’t mind replaying the definitive edition of a single chapter."

As for basically every other game you mention (you felt Fairy Fencer was worth mentioning?), they were all released well after the original versions, and thus would be expected to have vast improvements.

For the record, and most ironically, Persona 4 Golden also scored a few points higher on metacritic than it's original. Did you even bother to check either Persona 3 or 4 before making your rather ill-looking "guarantee" about Persona 5 Royal?

Ff15 royal has more content and only appeal to the most hardcore fans? Isnt that exactly the same with dragon quest 11 s? The last of us on ps4 released a year after the original. It has more content, looks better and runs at 60 fps but it didnt score higher than ps3 version. Gta 5 ps4 2 years after the original, dq 11 on ps4 already has enough content as it is, adding a few more after 2 years shouldnt make it have a higher score 

Some of you need to give it up. The games scored better, so far. Some of you say, the game looks blurry and has a horrible frame rate. Well, I havent seen a video on the switch version yet that shows the game to have a bad framerate. I know most of those complaining are gamers on one of the other 2, and when games like this pop up on any other system, they're Almost Beligerant. The graphics s are actually really close to the ps4, the fps is just about locked at 30. So.... what's the issue? Is it because you dont like when anyone else gets a few games?

SwitchUP said:
Some of you need to give it up. The games scored better, so far. Some of you say, the game looks blurry and has a horrible frame rate. Well, I havent seen a video on the switch version yet that shows the game to have a bad framerate. I know most of those complaining are gamers on one of the other 2, and when games like this pop up on any other system, they're Almost Beligerant. The graphics s are actually really close to the ps4, the fps is just about locked at 30. So.... what's the issue? Is it because you dont like when anyone else gets a few games?

No one in here said it looks blurry or horrible frame rate. And i dont think anyone here would care about it not being ps4 exclusive anymore. Maybe you assumed that because you are one of them who hates it? The switch version scored better because it added more content after 2 years? Maybe they should keep adding more content until it scores 100 on metacritic