By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Dragon Quest XI S reviews: Meta 90, OC 91

outlawauron said:
Wyrdness said:

Again read what you're replying to I told you going by VGC's numbers and even with your assumption XI is still not the best selling in the west. Shiken mentioned the PS4 and PS4 version when making his point so it was clear what he meant as for the last part that's irrelevant to me because I'm pointing out that what you claimed was incorrect.

The first several mentions are just DQXI's performance in general, not some PS4 vs Switch slapfight.

If you're deadset on only using VGC numbers (that are already proven to be incorrect in this case), then there's really no room for discussion. I asked about where you saw the lifetime sales for DQ8 and 9, and you don't bother. Even VGC's number doesn't show 1.4 and 1.5m.

Don't mean to interfere, but just a bit that I am aware of. So, while VGChartz has moved to updating their database with official shipped numbers, before they did this they did have their regional estimates. By which at that time they had breakdowns of sales of Dragon Quests 8 and 9. Both were around 500~600K+ for NA and EU each. I don't know if the way back machine will have these cached web pages but I do remember those estimates. 

It was estimated that Dragon Quest IX sold 4.3M Units in Japan and 5.5M overall. That leaves 1.2M overseas including NA, EU, and the rest of Asia. Because the rest of asia is not known for their Nintendo handheld or console sales, we are inclined to think that the western markets took up the bulk of these sales. The only credible US and EU numbers point to 1.02M. So based on the information we have yes, it's not at 1.4 or 1.5M. 1.2M seems the be the number which is what VGC had in its estimates before they went strictly shipped without regional breakdowns. 

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
Wyrdness said:

Again read what you're replying to I told you going by VGC's numbers and even with your assumption XI is still not the best selling in the west. Shiken mentioned the PS4 and PS4 version when making his point so it was clear what he meant as for the last part that's irrelevant to me because I'm pointing out that what you claimed was incorrect.

The first several mentions are just DQXI's performance in general, not some PS4 vs Switch slapfight.

If you're deadset on only using VGC numbers (that are already proven to be incorrect in this case), then there's really no room for discussion. I asked about where you saw the lifetime sales for DQ8 and 9, and you don't bother. Even VGC's number doesn't show 1.4 and 1.5m.

Except they're not proven wrong in this case the's no way to track sales in the rest of asia and the total of both VIII and IX range into 5.5m and 5.7m which means outside Japan the sales are more than double as others include regions like Australia and such which are western either way you can't even go the route of saying VGC is wrong because you've admitted part of your argument is based on an assumption. When it's all said and done what you said is still incorrect on DQXI being the best selling in the west no matter what numbers we go by.

If they're talking about the PS4 version and only talking about that version then it means that's the focal point of the comparison even the post you responded to is on about the PS4 version.

Ljink96 said:
outlawauron said:

Don't mean to interfere, but just a bit that I am aware of. So, while VGChartz has moved to updating their database with official shipped numbers, before they did this they did have their regional estimates. By which at that time they had breakdowns of sales of Dragon Quests 8 and 9. Both were around 500~600K+ for NA and EU each. I don't know if the way back machine will have these cached web pages but I do remember those estimates. 

It was estimated that Dragon Quest IX sold 4.3M Units in Japan and 5.5M overall. That leaves 1.2M overseas including NA, EU, and the rest of Asia. Because the rest of asia is not known for their Nintendo handheld or console sales, we are inclined to think that the western markets took up the bulk of these sales. The only credible US and EU numbers point to 1.02M. So based on the information we have yes, it's not at 1.4 or 1.5M. 1.2M seems the be the number which is what VGC had in its estimates before they went strictly shipped without regional breakdowns. 

I definitely agree. What I could find for DQIX was comments saying it was just over a million. That 1.02-1.2M sounds about right to me.

And yes, VGC is absolutely moving towards officlal shipped numbers! So if anyone has access or links to any of those numbers, I'm doubly interested because I can get that page updated with the correct numbers

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.