By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is 2001 the best year ever for gaming

HylianSwordsman said:

I'm not the only one that remembers! :D

Excellent list, btw.

What rational person doesn't consider Boogerman a classic?!

And thanks!

Around the Network

Yeah 2001 was pretty special. But 2017 takes the cake for me.

2007 was incredible too, very fun year for me.

Thats an okay-ish list of games. But the real best year for gaming is 1995 thanks to the Snes alone.

Jpcc86 said:
Thats an okay-ish list of games. But the real best year for gaming is 1995 thanks to the Snes alone.

YaY, someone else thinks 1995 was an outstanding year in gaming! What were your faves from that year??

Jaicee said:
Jpcc86 said:

YaY, someone else thinks 1995 was an outstanding year in gaming! What were your faves from that year??

I'd also have to agree. My favorites on your list are Chrono Trigger, DKC2, and Earthbound (though I played it much, much later). I would add Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, Tales of Phantasia (also played this much, much later), and maybe Warcraft II and Rayman. It was a very, very good year for RPGs, as your list shows. Some games from that year I've yet to play but want to include Tactics Ogre and Terranigma (which never saw release in the states), and Suikoden (which did a year later so I guess it's cheating to give 1995 credit for it as a US citizen).

Around the Network

IMO, the current year is pretty much always the best year. Gaming technology continues to progress, as does the ability of devs to take advantage of that tech. So, things are always getting better, and that always makes the most recent time the best.

If we just want to talk about the year with the largest number of awesome games, then 2001 is likely my top seed as well. Halo is really the important one. I've been gaming since 1982, when I could first manipulate a joystick. But, I lapsed a bit in my teenage years, and Halo really reignited my love of gaming. It may well be the reason I'm in this forum typing this comment right now.

nostalgia "the thread"

Intrinsic said:
nostalgia "the thread"

I'm not really nostalgic for most of these games many of them I've only played in recent years or not at all.

pikashoe said:
Intrinsic said:
nostalgia "the thread"

I'm not really nostalgic for most of these games many of them I've only played in recent years or not at all.

Nope... your nostalgia is for the time period, not the games per say. Like for me  would say 1998. People that weren't even born n 2001 will probably say 2017 or 2018...etc.

Basically, the only thing that can make anyone say XXXX year is best year for something as subjective as gaming is nostalgia. Or at the very least the fond memory you had of that time period.

Certainly one the best years I really like a lot of the games in the OP, even though I didn't play them back when they came out.