By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is 2001 the best year ever for gaming

Intrinsic said:
pikashoe said:

I'm not really nostalgic for most of these games many of them I've only played in recent years or not at all.

Nope... your nostalgia is for the time period, not the games per say. Like for me  would say 1998. People that weren't even born n 2001 will probably say 2017 or 2018...etc.

Basically, the only thing that can make anyone say XXXX year is best year for something as subjective as gaming is nostalgia. Or at the very least the fond memory you had of that time period.

No, doesn't have anything to do with nostalgia, I'd put 98 2nd and I was only 2 that year. I don't have nostalgia for that year cause I can't remember it. Im not even basing it on personal preference (none of these games are among my personal favourites or anything), I think that 2001 had a large quantity of well made games that have also had a big influence on gaming as a whole or the genres they were released in.

Around the Network
pikashoe said:
Intrinsic said:

Nope... your nostalgia is for the time period, not the games per say. Like for me  would say 1998. People that weren't even born n 2001 will probably say 2017 or 2018...etc.

Basically, the only thing that can make anyone say XXXX year is best year for something as subjective as gaming is nostalgia. Or at the very least the fond memory you had of that time period.

No, doesn't have anything to do with nostalgia, I'd put 98 2nd and I was only 2 that year. I don't have nostalgia for that year cause I can't remember it. Im not even basing it on personal preference (none of these games are among my personal favourites or anything), I think that 2001 had a large quantity of well made games that have also had a big influence on gaming as a whole or the genres they were released in.

Agreed, 2010 was a pretty shit year for me and one I certainly am not nostalgic for, it just happened to have a ton of games I absolutely loved.

PAOerfulone said:

Either 1998:
Ocarina of Time, Metal Gear Solid, Half-Life, Resident Evil 2, Tekken 3, Crash 3, Pokemon Yellow, F-Zero X, Spyro the Dragon, Banjo-Kazooie, Sonic Adventure (in Japan)...

Or 2007:
Super Mario Galaxy, Bioshock, Halo 3, Mass Effect, Uncharted, Metroid Prime 3, Pokemon Diamond/Pearl (Overseas), Super Paper Mario, Team Fortress 2, Assassin's Creed, The WItcher...

Edit: 2017 is also a very strong contender:
Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Persona 5, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Nier: Automata, Cuphead, Splatoon 2, Resident Evil 7, Tekken 7, Metroid: Samus Returns, Dragon Quest XI (in Japan), Sonic Mania...

Add PSVR and 2017 pulls ahead. PSVR made me feel like a kid discovering video games again and 2017 had a lot of great games for it like RE7, Statik, Polybius, Star Trek Bridge Crew, Skyrim, Farpoint, Psychonauts, Superhot and more.

I think if I had to pick a top 5 it'd go like:

1. 2010

2. 1998

3. 2007

4. 2017

5. 1995

Why does no one ever mention 2011. That year was absolutely stacked with quality AAA titles releasing weekly yet rarely ever gets any consideration for being one of the best years in gaming much less a "good year" in gaming. I mean just take a look at some of the games released:

Skyrim
Uncharted 3
Gears of War 3
Batman Arkham City
Portal 2
Dark Souls
Dead Space 2
Zelda Skyward Sword
Deus Ex Human Revolution
The Witcher 2
LA Niore
Mortal Kombat 2011
Little Big Planet 2
Infamous 2
Crysis 2
Bulletstorm
Dead Island
Forza Motorsport 4
Rayman Origins
Super Mario 3D Land
Killzone 3
Resistance 3
MW3
Battlefield 3
Saints Row 3
Assassins Creed Revelations
Minecraft

While I dont think 2011 is definitively the greatest year in gaming but it definitely deserves more respect. The number of games released is absolutely mind boggling. It was a year for every kind of gamer. For casuals to hardcore, for fans of rpgs, fps, action/adventure and any genre, there was definitely a game for anyone. 2011 is also in my opinion the peak year of the PS3/360/Wii gen.

Around the Network

2007 and 2017 are still the best years in gaming IMO.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Mar1217 said:
Ultrashroomz said:
2007 and 2017 are still the best years in gaming IMO.

By this elaborate pattern we can foresee the next big year in gaming being 2027 ! 

Hey, 1997 Final Fantasy VII, Mario Kart 64, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Star Fox 64, Goldeneye 007, Parappa the Rapper, Crash Bandicoot 2, Diddy Kong Racing, and Yoshi's Story, amongst many others. And 1987 had Contra, the original Legend of Zelda, Punch Out, and the first Metal Gear. I'm not counting the theory out.

98, 03, 07, 2010

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

I would say 1997 because of the first Fallout...
...or 2017 because of BotW

Intrinsic said:
nostalgia "the thread"

Great games are great games brah. They're timeless. Nostalgia has little to do with it. Ok maybe some, but there's typically a reason people look back on some of these games fondly - because they're awesome games. If they sucked, most people wouldn't look back to them in the first place.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden