By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rockstar's output this generation has been atrocious.

Radek said:
Barkley said:

As much work probably went into GTA V and RDR2 as went into the games from 2008-2012. They're massive, I dread to think how many man-hours are going to be put into GTA VI, they always have to one-up themselves. 

Games just take a lot longer to make now, especially openworld games, but look at other developers.

Insomniac (PS3/360) - 10 Games: 3 Resistance Games, 6 Ratchet & Clank Games, Fuse.
Insomniac (PS4/XBO) - 2 Games: Ratchet & Clank, Spiderman.

If crossgen games count towards the oldest they release on like you do then the following developers look a little worse:

Bioware (PS3/360) - 6 Games: 3 Mass Effect Games, 3 Dragon Age Games
Bioware (PS4/XBO) - 2 Games: ME:Andromeda, Anthem

Bungie (PS3/360) - 4 Games: 3 Halo Games, Destiny
Bungie (PS4/XBO) - 1 Game: Destiny 2

If we look at the Halo series irrespective of the developer you can see the releases have slowed down. The 360 got 4 new Halo FPS games, the XBO currently has 1.

Bethesda developed Oblivion, Skyrim and Fallout 3 for PS3/360 and on PS4 only Fallout 4 and 76. Skyrim released 5 years after Oblivion yet here we are 8 years after Skyrim and who knows when TES VI will come out.

Mostly the only developers releasing as many games as they used to are the almost annualised games. Far Cry, Assassins Creed, Fifa, Battlefield, Call of Duty or AA games rather than AAA.

You are missing Sunset Overdrive.

He is also putting destiny 1 and dragon inquisition in the last gen category even though they were made for current gen and ported backwards...

Around the Network

GTA Online is to Rockstar and WoW was for Blizzard.

91-RPM Racing
92-Lost Vikings
93-Rock n Roll Racing
94-Death and Return of Superman
94-Blackthorne
94-Warcraft
95-Justice League
95-Warcraft 2
96-Diablo
97-Lost Vikings 2
98-Starcraft
00-Diablo 2
02-Warcraft 3
04-World of Warcraft
10-Starcraft 2

They were averaging like 1 game per year then all of a sudden went 6 years without releasing anything other than WoW expansions.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Barkley said:

As much work probably went into GTA V and RDR2 as went into the games from 2008-2012. They're massive, I dread to think how many man-hours are going to be put into GTA VI, they always have to one-up themselves. 

Games just take a lot longer to make now, especially openworld games, but look at other developers.

Insomniac (PS3/360) - 10 Games: 3 Resistance Games, 6 Ratchet & Clank Games, Fuse.
Insomniac (PS4/XBO) - 3 Games: Ratchet & Clank, Spiderman, Sunset Overdrive.

If crossgen games count towards the oldest they release on like you do then the following developers look a little worse:

If we look at the Halo series irrespective of the developer you can see the releases have slowed down. The 360 got 4 new Halo FPS games, the XBO currently has 1.

Bethesda developed Oblivion, Skyrim and Fallout 3 for PS3/360 and on PS4 only Fallout 4 and 76. Skyrim released 5 years after Oblivion yet here we are 8 years after Skyrim and who knows when TES VI will come out.

Mostly the only developers releasing as many games as they used to are the almost annualised games. Far Cry, Assassins Creed, Fifa, Battlefield, Call of Duty or AA games rather than AAA.

Insomniac has released more than 3 games although they are smaller in scale than the games mentioned. They seem very experimental this gen. Spiderman was very out of there comfort zone as well.

I count games that released at the same time as part of the newer gen, Look at manhunt 2. So bioware gets dragon age inquisition. They also had a game cancelled among other complicated stuff behind the scenes.

As I mentioned in the original post I understand that games take longer to make. I understand that devs can't make as many game as in the past but the drop off for rockstar compared to others is ridiculous. Going from 10 games to 1 is not good. What happens next gen? Do we just get nothing from rockstar?

Barkley said:

Insomniac (PS4/XBO) - 3 Games: Ratchet & Clank, Spiderman, Sunset Overdrive.

....so its just western developers that are taking their sweet time? loll 

V-r0cK said:

more commonly, though there are examples of Japanese developers slowing down as games get more ambitious.

Persona 3 - Development time (2-2.5 years)
Persona 4 - Development time (~2 years)
Persona 5 - Development time (5-5.5 years)

FFXIII, XIII-2 and Lightning Returns Combined Development Time (8.5 Years)
FFXV - Development time (10 years)

Around the Network
Bisa said:
R* dont need to make any games with the ammount of money GTA5+Microtrans are making them.

Sad, but true.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Barkley said:
V-r0cK said:

more commonly, though there are examples of Japanese developers slowing down as games get more ambitious.

But have Japanese developers been keeping a steady pace at releasing games this gen compared to last gen, or are they also slowing down as well?

V-r0cK said:
Barkley said:

But have Japanese developers been keeping a steady pace at releasing games this gen compared to last gen, or are they also slowing down as well?

Going by years instead of generation (because it's easier)

Developer 2008-2013 2014-2019
FromSoftware 16 Games 8 Games
Capcom (Developer) 68 Games 37 Games
Platinum Games 7 Games 9 Games
Square Enix (Developer) 37 Games 39 Games
SIE Japan 29 Games 14 Games
Media.Vision 9 Games 8 Games
Sega CS1 R&D 10 Games 7 Games
Sega CS2 R&D 18 Games 12 Games
Nintendo EAD/EPD 39 Games 31 Games

Only Square and Platinum games have/will release more games in 2014-2019 than 2008-2013.

zorg1000 said:
GTA Online is to Rockstar and WoW was for Blizzard.

91-RPM Racing
92-Lost Vikings
93-Rock n Roll Racing
94-Death and Return of Superman
94-Blackthorne
94-Warcraft
95-Justice League
95-Warcraft 2
96-Diablo
97-Lost Vikings 2
98-Starcraft
00-Diablo 2
02-Warcraft 3
04-World of Warcraft
10-Starcraft 2

They were averaging like 1 game per year then all of a sudden went 6 years without releasing anything other than WoW expansions.

or what Steam is to Valve...

it's just been one game and microtransactions for GTA online which has turned them probably way more money that all of the work last gen, it's a sad fact but if we want to get our games companies back making really good AAA titles then we need to stop spending so much on MTA especially in 60dollar games. in free to play stuff, that's how those games function but if you buy a 60dollar game, then a yearly 20dollar season pass as well as put a few 100 into card packs or skins then of course that game will hang around for longer because it's not in their interest to create a whole new game for another 60 when they can turn that money out of a player of their existing game by simply adding in a new car, skin or map for purchase on the exact same game engine which has been signed off as working perfectly on the hardware.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive