By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Finally joined the PC Master Race

goopy20 said:

Fair enough. If you like RTS games, PC is definitely the platform to go. I also used to love WOW but I don't think we'll see Blizzard focusing on pc anymore. In any case, I'm not here to upset anyone. PC gaming is great but it's a bit disillusion to think the next gen console games aren't going to raise the bar compared to what we're seeing right now.

Do you need me to list PC developers that focuses on FPS, TBS, RPG, MOBA?

As for Blizzard, there is no guarantee they will release their title on console, but there is a guarantee they will release it on PC.
I.E. Don't expect the next WarCraft or StarCraft to come to a console near you.

Also no one is saying that consoles aren't going to take a leap?

goopy20 said:

Sure mods do give an indication, but it's still just an extra layer of paint on a game that was designed from the ground up to run on current gen consoles and lower spec pc's as well. 

That kinda happens with all game engines though... Fallout 76 uses the creative engine optimized for 8th gen, which in turn is an engine based on the Gamebryo engine that was heavily optimized for 7th gen which in turn was built on the foundations of Net Immerse which was optimized for the OG Xbox and PC.

In short it's just a "layer of new paint" so to speak.

goopy20 said:

Next gen games on the other hand will be designed from the ground up to take full advantage of a 2080GTX.

No they won't. The consoles won't have a 2080GTX. (Nor does such a GPU exist anyway.)

goopy20 said:

We just have to wait and see what that will look like but I'm guessing bigger, more denser worlds, some form of ray tracing and just more overall visual fidelity. That doesn't mean the ps5 will be better than the latest gaming rigs. All I'm saying is that graphics are going to take a leap when next gen consoles come out and for the pc gamers who didn't buy a 2080RTX or better, it will be time to upgrade. 

You don't understand PC gaming if you think people will be forced to upgrade to a Geforce RTX 2080 as soon as the Playstation 5 lands next year.
People didn't need a Radeon 7850 as soon as the Playstation 4 released... Or a Radeon 7750 when the Xbox One came out.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
goopy20 said:

Fair enough. If you like RTS games, PC is definitely the platform to go. I also used to love WOW but I don't think we'll see Blizzard focusing on pc anymore. In any case, I'm not here to upset anyone. PC gaming is great but it's a bit disillusion to think the next gen console games aren't going to raise the bar compared to what we're seeing right now.

Do you need me to list PC developers that focuses on FPS, TBS, RPG, MOBA?

As for Blizzard, there is no guarantee they will release their title on console, but there is a guarantee they will release it on PC.
I.E. Don't expect the next WarCraft or StarCraft to come to a console near you.

Also no one is saying that consoles aren't going to take a leap?

goopy20 said:

Sure mods do give an indication, but it's still just an extra layer of paint on a game that was designed from the ground up to run on current gen consoles and lower spec pc's as well. 

That kinda happens with all game engines though... Fallout 76 uses the creative engine optimized for 8th gen, which in turn is an engine based on the Gamebryo engine that was heavily optimized for 7th gen which in turn was built on the foundations of Net Immerse which was optimized for the OG Xbox and PC.

In short it's just a "layer of new paint" so to speak.

goopy20 said:

Next gen games on the other hand will be designed from the ground up to take full advantage of a 2080GTX.

No they won't. The consoles won't have a 2080GTX. (Nor does such a GPU exist anyway.)

goopy20 said:

We just have to wait and see what that will look like but I'm guessing bigger, more denser worlds, some form of ray tracing and just more overall visual fidelity. That doesn't mean the ps5 will be better than the latest gaming rigs. All I'm saying is that graphics are going to take a leap when next gen consoles come out and for the pc gamers who didn't buy a 2080RTX or better, it will be time to upgrade. 

You don't understand PC gaming if you think people will be forced to upgrade to a Geforce RTX 2080 as soon as the Playstation 5 lands next year.
People didn't need a Radeon 7850 as soon as the Playstation 4 released... Or a Radeon 7750 when the Xbox One came out.

Like I said, if you're into RTS games, there is no substitute for pc. So yes, Star Craft and Warcraft will probably be pc exclusives. 

From what we know so far, the next gen consoles will have an modified Navi GPU that will sit somewhere between a 2070 and 2080RTX. Personally I have a 1060GTX which runs almost anything at ultra settings in 1080 or 1440p right now. But I'm pretty sure I'll need to upgrade when the next gen consoles come out. You say people didn't need a 7850 as soon as the ps4 came out, but just look at the minimum pc requirements of early ps4 games that weren't cross platform anymore such as AC Unity. It requires a Radeon HD 7970. Hell, Far Cry 5 requires a i7-4770 and GTX 970 to run in 1080p. 

And just because game engines are usually designed to scale with more powerful hardware, doesn't mean mods will turn current games into next gen titles. The whole point of scaling engines is that developers can use the extra horse power of next gen consoles to build entire new games that weren't possible with current gen hardware. That's a bit different from amateur programmers adding texture packs to a game or ultra settings that cripple the frame rate with just a slight increase in visuals. It's nice but what do you think will look better, a ps3 game like TLOU remastered in 4k for the ps4 or TLOU 2 in 1080p but designed from the ground up for the ps4? We will see tomorrow but I'm guessing it will be a big leap.

Last edited by goopy20 - on 23 September 2019

So.. in my excitement of joining the PC gamer crew, I just bought a barely used htc Vive for $175. Thinking this gonna go great alongside my psvr.

Man.. I hate it when your girl has to leave my place to come back to you..

BillyBong said:
So.. in my excitement of joining the PC gamer crew, I just bought a barely used htc Vive for $175. Thinking this gonna go great alongside my psvr.

wtf, how'd you managed to snag such an insane deal like that? 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
BillyBong said:

Got lucky man.. was browsing through OfferUp and saw a guy had listed it up for $175.  Thought it might be a fake post, but purchased it through the app, a complete unit.. 2 controllers, 2 lighthouses, head unit, deluxe audio strap.. still got that unpeeled plastic around most of the components.  Ups tracking shows I'll have in hand by Thursday.  If it checks out, it'll be a keeper.

Around the Network
BillyBong said:
Chazore said:

Got lucky man.. was browsing through OfferUp and saw a guy had listed it up for $175.  Thought it might be a fake post, but purchased it through the app, a complete unit.. 2 controllers, 2 lighthouses, head unit, deluxe audio strap.. still got that unpeeled plastic around most of the components.  Ups tracking shows I'll have in hand by Thursday.  If it checks out, it'll be a keeper.

175$? The HMD costs 300$ alone. Hope they don't send you bricks.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Peh said:
BillyBong said:

175$? The HMD costs 300$ alone. Hope they don't send you bricks.

Yea.. I've had good luck on OfferUp.  There's buyer protection in their purchasing through the app, so if unit isn't as pictured/described, not working, or "bricks", I get a full refund, plus seller pays for return shipping.  If it turns out as described, then I just got a great deal.  

Proof in the pudding once item arrives on Thursday..

Last edited by BillyBong - on 23 September 2019

Finally bought a new case 20.1L, exciting times.

goopy20 said:

From what we know so far, the next gen consoles will have an modified Navi GPU that will sit somewhere between a 2070 and 2080RTX.

We have no idea because the hardware isn't out. - It could be more, it could be less capable than those parts you listed.

Next year when the consoles drop, the Geforce 2070 and 2080 will be old news and replaced by the 3070 and 3080 anyway, that we know for certain.

goopy20 said:

Personally I have a 1060GTX which runs almost anything at ultra settings in 1080 or 1440p right now. But I'm pretty sure I'll need to upgrade when the next gen consoles come out.

Fantastic. Not sure how it has anything to do with next-gen PC GPU's or Console hardware though...

goopy20 said:

You say people didn't need a 7850 as soon as the ps4 came out, but just look at the minimum pc requirements of early ps4 games that weren't cross platform anymore such as AC Unity. It requires a Radeon HD 7970. Hell, Far Cry 5 requires a i7-4770 and GTX 970 to run in 1080p. 

I don't know who these people are, but it doesn't matter. It's what I say.

Also, no one cares what developers state as their requirements, they are a guideline, not real-world requirements and thus not something factual to take note of.

Here is Assassins Creed Unity running on an AMD FX+ Radeon 7850 just fine. - Again, no Radeon 7970 necessary.

Here is FarCry 5 on a Radeon 7850 and Ivy Bridge i5, again no GTX 970 required or Haswell i7 Quad-Core required.

Even found someone running the game on a 10+ year old Core 2 Quad with 30+ fps.

goopy20 said:

And just because game engines are usually designed to scale with more powerful hardware, doesn't mean mods will turn current games into next gen titles.

Morrowind on the OG Xbox isn't any less expansive than Fallout 4 on the Xbox One despite being several hardware generations newer though.

We have reached points in history however where newer hardware has enabled new gameplay ideas, for instance we reached a point in the 6th gen that allowed for rudimentary physics calculations which could be leveraged into gameplay such as in Half Life 2.

Or when this generation consoles launched the new CPU performance headroom enabled for larger player counts which enabled Battle Royal to become a thing.

But overall, game design doesn't dramatically shift in design philosophy just because we get new hardware, publishers like EA, Ubisoft and Activision would rather put out a game successively every year that relies on tried and tested gameplay mechanics that consumers throw their money at... There is less financial risk for them as well in taking that approach.

goopy20 said:

That's a bit different from amateur programmers adding texture packs to a game or ultra settings that cripple the frame rate with just a slight increase in visuals. It's nice but what do you think will look better, a ps3 game like TLOU remastered in 4k for the ps4 or TLOU 2 in 1080p but designed from the ground up for the ps4? We will see tomorrow but I'm guessing it will be a big leap. 

Minecraft RTX looks far from amateur.

Anyway, I have provided plenty of evidence for my arguments thus far. Have at it.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
goopy20 said:

From what we know so far, the next gen consoles will have an modified Navi GPU that will sit somewhere between a 2070 and 2080RTX.

We have no idea because the hardware isn't out. - It could be more, it could be less capable than those parts you listed.

Next year when the consoles drop, the Geforce 2070 and 2080 will be old news and replaced by the 3070 and 3080 anyway, that we know for certain.

goopy20 said:

Personally I have a 1060GTX which runs almost anything at ultra settings in 1080 or 1440p right now. But I'm pretty sure I'll need to upgrade when the next gen consoles come out.

Fantastic. Not sure how it has anything to do with next-gen PC GPU's or Console hardware though...

goopy20 said:

You say people didn't need a 7850 as soon as the ps4 came out, but just look at the minimum pc requirements of early ps4 games that weren't cross platform anymore such as AC Unity. It requires a Radeon HD 7970. Hell, Far Cry 5 requires a i7-4770 and GTX 970 to run in 1080p. 

Also, no one cares what developers state as their requirements, they are a guideline, not real-world requirements and thus not something factual to take note of.

Here is Assassins Creed Unity running on an AMD FX+ Radeon 7850 just fine. - Again, no Radeon 7970 necessary.

Here is FarCry 5 on a Radeon 7850 and Ivy Bridge i5, again no GTX 970 required or Haswell i7 Quad-Core required.

goopy20 said:

And just because game engines are usually designed to scale with more powerful hardware, doesn't mean mods will turn current games into next gen titles.

Morrowind on the OG Xbox isn't any less expansive than Fallout 4 on the Xbox One despite being several hardware generations newer though.

We have reached points in history however where newer hardware has enabled new gameplay ideas, for instance we reached a point in the 6th gen that allowed for rudimentary physics calculations which could be leveraged into gameplay such as in Half Life 2.

Or when this generation consoles launched the new CPU performance headroom enabled for larger player counts which enabled Battle Royal to become a thing.

But overall, game design doesn't dramatically shift in design philosophy just because we get new hardware, publishers like EA, Ubisoft and Activision would rather put out a game successively every year that relies on tried and tested gameplay mechanics that consumers throw their money at... There is less financial risk for them as well in taking that approach.

goopy20 said:

That's a bit different from amateur programmers adding texture packs to a game or ultra settings that cripple the frame rate with just a slight increase in visuals. It's nice but what do you think will look better, a ps3 game like TLOU remastered in 4k for the ps4 or TLOU 2 in 1080p but designed from the ground up for the ps4? We will see tomorrow but I'm guessing it will be a big leap. 

Anyway, I have provided plenty of evidence for my arguments thus far. Have at it.

Pemalite said:
goopy20 said:

goopy20 said:

goopy20 said:

goopy20 said:

goopy20 said:

Okay, so you're saying my 1060GTX and i5 will run everything fine when the next gen games come out? To be honest, that's kinda depressing. I mean what's the point of buying a 3080 RTX then?

Come on man, you just proved my point. The ps4 has a 7850 gpu and nowadays you need at least a 7850 and quad core cpu to play almost anything on your pc. Now, assuming native 4k isn't going to be the standard next gen, as that would be a waste of resources for anyone who doesn't sit 3 feet away from their 4k tv, we will probably still see most console games using 30fps and 1080p as the standard. PC gamers always make that seem like its a bad thing but it's really not. I mean just imagine if Half Life 3 got announced exclusively for PC and the game would be running on a engine designed to push a 2080RTX to its limit at a locked, smooth 30 fps in 1080p. Just imagine what that would look and play like? Also, do you think anyone would still be able to play it at a playable frame rate on a mid-range gpu like a 1060GTX? 

Next year this will happen with all games developed by major studios who try to push these next gen consoles to its limits. Meaning that if the leaked console specs are correct, you'll need at least a 2080 RTX and 8 core Ryzen to get a similar gaming experience on pc, just like you need a 7850 to play any multiplatform game right now.

And yes, in the end pc will always be superior and we'll see pc hardware come out during the console life cycle that'll allow you to play these games at a higher resolution, framerate and with mod support. But my point is that next year these new consoles games will push the boundaries and we'll see games that'll look better than anything we've seen so far. If not, then everyone should be seriously disappointed and there would be no point in releasing a next gen console or new GPU's.