By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Could this be called False Advertising?

Is this false advertising?

Yes 4 30.77%

No 5 38.46%

You're being paranoid 4 30.77%

Total:13

So, I was reading the Switch news... and I saw this image advertising the Nintendo Switch Vouchers:

Yeah, I know it's in spanish... but I think you get the idea. As it is, this picture seems to suggest that when using the vouchers and one of the games is Link's Awakening, you'll get double gold coins for it. Which is not true, because you get zero coins when redeeming a voucher. You get coins when you PURCHASE the vouchers, but you get 495 coins for your 99 dolar/euro purchase. That's the standar for any eShop purchase.

So... should they change the Link's Awakening picture for this particular advertisement? Because I'm not sure if it was done on purpouse... or if they just put the current eShop picture for Link's Awakening that coincidentially has the 2x Gold Coins banner slapped on it without really thinking about it. But whathever it was, it can lead to misunderstandings.

Around the Network

How many coins do you get when purchasing any game with a voucher? It's 0 what is 0x2? Even on a literal level the statement advertised is 100% accurate, heck they could say it was 1000x the normal coins when bought this way.

It doesn't look great if you are expecting coins obviously I do see what you're getting at but you definitely couldn't call it false advertising, it's just a shame they've picked the Links Awakening pic from the eshop where you do get the double 300 coins with the purchase, but yeah, 2x0=0 they're not lying in the advert.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:
How many coins do you get when purchasing any game with a voucher? It's 0 what is 0x2? Even on a literal level the statement advertised is 100% accurate, heck they could say it was 1000x the normal coins when bought this way.

It doesn't look great if you are expecting coins obviously I do see what you're getting at but you definitely couldn't call it false advertising, it's just a shame they've picked the Links Awakening pic from the eshop where you do get the double 300 coins with the purchase, but yeah, 2x0=0 they're not lying in the advert.

But if you look at the picture, it looks like they are saying that you're getting points for Link's Awakening. Maybe in this particular deal, you ACTUALLY get coins if Link's Awakening is one of the redeemed games. Although it's not the case, the advert seems to suggest that much.

Vodacixi said:
Ganoncrotch said:

But if you look at the picture, it looks like they are saying that you're getting points for Link's Awakening. Maybe in this particular deal, you ACTUALLY get coins if Link's Awakening is one of the redeemed games. Although it's not the case, the advert seems to suggest that much.

Even without knowing a word of this language, if I look at that it looks like it's saying "points with purchase x2" like I said, knowing the language of math I can tell you that 0 points x 2 = 0 points, that is not false advertising.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:
Vodacixi said:

Even without knowing a word of this language, if I look at that it looks like it's saying "points with purchase x2" like I said, knowing the language of math I can tell you that 0 points x 2 = 0 points, that is not false advertising.

False advertising, by definition, is the use of false or misleading information, and I think that's misleading to say the least. Although I doubt Nintendo would intentionally mislead in such a petty way, I think it's more than likely a mistake, or perhaps there is a better understanding of this than simply 2 x 0 = 0, because why would Nintendo advertise getting double gold coins when you get zero; that doesn't make sense. I think you came up with this loophole in your mind and now you have yourself convinced, but I think you should rethink your stance on this.

Around the Network
Ganoncrotch said:
Vodacixi said:

Well, instead of asuming, if you don't know what it says on the picture you can always ask.

It says "Double Gold Coins" in the Link's Awakening inage. The other text says: "Save up to 30,99 euros with the Nintendo Switch Vouchers".

Nintendo digital prices are insanely high anyway. Other than digital only people, why would you choose them over any retailer with any kind of discount system?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Darwinianevolution said:
Nintendo digital prices are insanely high anyway. Other than digital only people, why would you choose them over any retailer with any kind of discount system?

To be fair, gold points are a form of discount. And for me it's usually convenience. I will oftentimes find myself looking for a new game to play late at night on the weekends, and digital gives me the opportunity to get and play the game within minutes.

I would prefer it to be a physical copy, but in recent years I've found myself becoming more and more willing to go digital for the convenience it affords.

Coins suck these days. Haven't bothered with it since they downgraded from Club Nintendo. It's like they had a decent rewards program then it went to shit. Might as well not have one.

Vodacixi said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Well, instead of asuming, if you don't know what it says on the picture you can always ask.

It says "Double Gold Coins" in the Link's Awakening inage. The other text says: "Save up to 30,99 euros with the Nintendo Switch Vouchers".

I assumed 100% correct and the statement on the thing is still not untrue. It just so happens that if you buy the game with vouchers then you get no points to double because you've already gotten points for the purchase of the vouchers, they're not going to award points twice for the same single transaction of cash.