By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Gears of War - Metacritic (currently 85)

Its good to see MS Studios pump out a really good game.

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
RJTM1991 said:
There's a weird trend with Xbox's system sellers and low-to-mid 80s Metacritic scores. Halo MCC, Guardians, Gears Ultimate Edition, 4, and now 5.

I expect Xbox exclusives to get modest scores. I think its partly because MS just doesn't make the type of games critics wants. I'm not even sure why Forza Horizon scores as well as it does versus a Gears game.

Meanwhile the games that often score in the 90s are generally too story driven for my taste or get praise for being artsy.

With that said, games that score in the 80s can still be very notable. They just aren't something critics are raving about, while consumers might.

Same here, my man.

I'm not an Xbox guy, but I can admit that there's been a clear bias against their major titles since the XB1's launch. I hate to see it. You'd expect the media to call it down the middle and give credit where it's due, but nah.

Xbox have made some pretty bizarre moves over the past six years, but when they do it right, they do it right. Gears 5 deserves a higher score. Same with Halo 5. Not that 85/86 is anything to snort at mind you!

Chazore said:
Still waiting one more day for the official release.

Bit disappointed in the game after seeing Crowbat's evidence video though.

Please play it. Then tell me if you think that video is accurate. If possible, use headphones or a good sound sound system. I'd love you hear your impressions.

I've been playing the last few days and the campaign is definitely one of the best. I'll play the horde and multiplayer after im done with the story.

Heard a lot of positivity around this release. Watched both the DF vids, definitely have to pick it sometime.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Around the Network
PotentHerbs said:
Its good to see MS Studios pump out a really good game.

Yep. I don't own Xbox and the type of IP they have isn't my favorite, but it is great that they do good games so people that like these type of games can enjoy it. My brother and some friends will certainly have a blast with Gears 5.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Great scores, too bad I'll probably never play it :/

think-man said:

No friends nor a PC?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
think-man said:

No friends nor a PC?

Hardly any of my friends irl game, the ones who do are on PS. 

Before playing Gears 5, I replayed the campaign in Gear 4.

I am was genuinelly amazed by the visual disparity. Given its still built for X1 I didn't expect a huge leap. However cutscene visuals genuinely look like cinematics, environment detail and effects are greatly improved, animation is much more fluid, it almost looks like a generational leap. I thought we needed Scarlett for this kind of leap. There is big resolution compromise on base hardware, but its worth it.

I'm playing on X1X and Gears 5 is a much better 60 fps experience than Gears 4 even with vastly superior visuals and not stuck at 1080p.

I suspect X1 support could last longer than anticipated if they can continue this level of optimization. My expectations for Halo Infinite on base hardware have also increased.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)