By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition announced for Switch (2020)

Everything Monolith does is the best in the industry. Of course Xenoblade Chronicles is a remake and not a remaster. It's Monolith Soft.

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Everything Monolith does is the best in the industry. Of course Xenoblade Chronicles is a remake and not a remaster. It's Monolith Soft.

/thread

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Barkley said:
Wyrdness said:

Look at the definition I posted.

And from the Wikipedia page it links to : "A port that contains a great deal of remade assets may sometimes be considered a remastering"

From the remaster page:£ In some cases, the original game's graphics visual assets are not compatible with the new technology, so the developers are necessitated to remake or remodel them with improved texture depth, physically-based rendering, and light-reflection; and additional features such as realistic physics and joints employed for movable objects like character models. An example of a game that has had its graphics redesigned is Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary"

The Wikipedia page is full of "citation needed" and has no definitive distinction between remakes, remasters or ports. Tbh I don't think there's a general consensus on when to use those terms. There's nothing that seems to be agreed upon. Hell Activision thinks Spyro is a "remaster". I'll just keep using my own definitions.

Remake - An updated version of a game created from scratch.

Remaster - An updated version of a game with new assets built on the foundations of the original.

Port - An existing game moved to a new platform with no or very minimal changes to assets.

I sincerely can't believe you even have to argue this.

It's like "Zelda 64 is an RPG" all over again. There was even a time when the majority of Nintendo fans were saying this, "Of course it's an RPG, you play the role of Link." It was as though the fanbase collectively decided to forget what an RPG was. I know I am getting off-topic, But... two things. First, you weren't playing the role of Link; you were controlling Link in a video game. Second, the definition of an RPG is a game which inherits its core mechanics from pen and paper RPGs. 

But one thing I learned is that no matter what, in the end, the reality of the situation is going to be what it's considered. The whole argument was irrelevant in the end, as a few years later, no one was calling Ocarina of Time an RPG. It was some brief moment of insanity that went away. Similarly: people can scream, "It's a remake!" all they want, but it is not going to make it so. If mass insanity of the Nintendo fanbase occurs where 90% of people are calling it a remake: time + reality means they'll be calling it a remaster again.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

It's a remaster, I say that as a giant Nintendo fan.

I'll also note that what I say above is as, not only a Nintendo fan but, a gamer who exclusively plays on Nintendo hardware for dedicated gaming devices.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

happy for this I never beat the Wii game because I honestly couldn't stand looking at it on my 40 or 50-inch TVs

Vodacixi said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Completely new graphic engine, new character models, new textures, not just higher resolution like remaster

So FFVIIR have turn base mode, then it is remaster too?

Completely new graphic engine, new character models, new textures, not just higher resolution like remaster

Final Fantasy VII Remake is made from scratch. With Xenoblade, you can take a moment from the game and put it side by side with the same moment of the Definitive Edition, and it matches perfectly. It has better graphics, but the way the game works (not in a gameplay sense, but in a pure technical level: how characters move, the geometry of the world, etc...) is exactly the same in both versions.

In FF VII Remake YOU CAN'T DO THAT. Because it's a new game. You can't match a scene that behaves exactly like the original BECAUSE THEY ARE DIFFERENT GAMES. THAT'S WHAT A REMAKE IS ABOUT. MAKING A GAME AGAIN. RESULTING IN A NEW ONE. XENOBLADE DOESN'T DO THAT. AT. ALL.

The guy above me said that a remake could have the same story, same characters but new graphics, sound and voice acting.  Even some gameplay elements were changed. All of these could apply to XBDE, you know. Then it is a remake

Chrkeller said:
No idea what trailer others have watched, but the one I watched absolutely does not have all new graphics for the environment.

If you call RE2 and Zelda LA are remake because new graphics, sound and voice acting, gameplay elements were change, then XCDE could apply to all of these too

HoangNhatAnh said:
curl-6 said:

I understand that it takes time. I don't expect it to be out by now or anything, I just don't think it's unreasonable of me to want to see something of a game announced two years prior.

It's normal to me, Zelda BOTW was announced for Wii U since 2011, but we couldn't see it till E3 2014

I'm not you though, not sure why you have such a problem with me having a different opinion. And that's not a typical case. 

curl-6 said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

It's normal to me, Zelda BOTW was announced for Wii U since 2011, but we couldn't see it till E3 2014

I'm not you though, not sure why you have such a problem with me having a different opinion. And that's not a typical case. 

No, i don't have any problem about that, just want to make sure that you know this ver could have some changes about story, gameplay and characters, so not even the same game at all.  And it have new graphic engine as well as new model characters, one of the most important reasons to call it a remake