By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Starting a GBC collection. Looking for recommendations.

Xxain said:
Last Bible is an alternate reality where a fantasy land is the setting for the SMT stuff.

Mega Man Xtreme
Mega Man Xtreme 2
Survival Kids - Konami's take on Harvest Moon with a stranded on Island theme. Multiple endings.
Also the Dragon Warrior (Quest) Monster games
I liked Bomberman Quest lol
Contra

Okay so Lord of the Rings meets SMT then? Sounds good. 

I've had my fill of Megaman over the years. I'm just not a fan of the franchise anymore. 

Survival Kids got a really good score from IGN back when they were a good site for reviews. Adding it. 

DQM2 looks good. 

Can't go wrong with Contra. I assume you mean Operation C?

What's Bomberman Quest about?

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:

The list so far....

Pokemon Red
Pokemon Silver
Link's Awakening DX
Oracle of Seasons
Oracle of Ages
Azure Dreams
Final Fantasy Legend
Super Mario Land
Super Mario Land 2
Mario Land 3, A.K.A. Wario 3
Metal Gear Solid
Dragon Quest 3
Mario Golf
Metal Walker
Donkey Kong Land
Donkey Kong Land 2
Donkey Kong Land 3

HylianSwordsman said:
Wario Land 3. Plays quite different from Mario games and even other Wario games. You go through levels to find keys, then find the treasure chest they go to. You cannot die, only be injured in ways that look like they came from a Looney Tunes cartoon. Getting hurt in these ways is actually a huge part of the game, as they're effectively powerups. Get smooshed by a crushing enemy or obstacle, and you become a pancake, and can float down gently like paper and fit into cracks, for example. There are also numerous treasures that either affect other areas in the game (turn day to night, make an obstacle disappear, etc) or give you a new ability. In this way, even though it has levels, it plays somewhat similar to a Metroidvania. Progress as far as you can in each area, note things you couldn't do, unlock new abilities or find new ways around things and come back later to progress more. Just because you can't die doesn't mean it isn't hard, by the way. This isn't Kirby's Epic Yarn. This is a game where you fight bosses and they inflict you with statuses that in other situations might be a powerup, but in the boss' arena is incredibly inconvenient and usually knocks you out of the arena, perhaps falling a great ways or into a current too strong for you so that you lose a ton of progress. So bosses are usually quite challenging and you often can't let yourself get hit. The regular puzzle platforming challenges are often pretty tough too.

Yeah Super Mario Land 1-3 (A.K.A. Wario Land 3) will make the list for sure.  

NOT THE SAME

It goes

1. Super Mario Land

2. Super Mario Land 2

3. Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3<--This is the one you're thinking of

4. Wario Land II

5. Wario Land 3<---This is the one I'm suggesting

6. Wario Land 4 (GBA)

7. Wario Land: Shake It (Wii)

@Cerebralbore101 Yeah Golf Story really gave me some GBC Mario Golf feelings when playing some of that, just in terms of building your character and deciding if you wanna be a crazy hard drive or really precision shooter. The GBC version of mario golf imo is the best in the series, I've got the N64, GC, 3DS versions of it as well and none of those offered the same kinda feelings as the GBC, it might just have been that it was the first one I played and I fell in love with it but still... it's something to check out if you can find a copy. Of the GBC game.... not the GB version of Golf featuring Mario, that's closer to the NES Open if I recall correctly.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Pokémon Pinball:

If you like Pokémon, pinball or both, this is really one of a kind (well, there's also an inferior GBA version). Basically, you play pinball while you try to capture Pokémon using the pinball mechanics. You can evolve them and complete the Pokedex (which btw has some very interesting entries different from the ones in R/B/Y.). Also, you can travel to different areas which have their own Pokémon and face very challaneging and fun bonus stages that give you tons of points. You can even save the game at any time, so you don't have to worry if you were having a great run but you have to go. It also has a rumble feature via AAA battery, something not many GB games had. The only negative thing I can think of is that, like in real pinball, sometimes the ball will go directly to the bottom and there is little you can do about it. Although in this game some of the GB buttons make the screen tremble in a certain direction, which can save you sometimes.

This is one of my favourite GBC games, no doubt. I'll think about a few more I have in mind...

Wario Land 3 is IMO the best GBC game. Amazing and quite different from other platformers.

Around the Network

Pokemon TCG. That's an amazing game, shame they didn't make more than two (and the second is Japan only).

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.