By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Predict Pokémon Sword/Shield's End of 2019 Shipment Total

Predict Pokemon Sword/Shield's End of 2019 Shipment Total

Over 16 Million 182 19.83%

15-16 Million 54 5.88%

14-15 Million 70 7.63%

13-14 Million 76 8.28%

12-13 Million 99 10.78%

11-12 Million 104 11.33%

10-11 Million 103 11.22%

9-10 Million 83 9.04%

8-9 Million 31 3.38%

Less Than 8 Million 116 12.64%

Total:918

I hope everyone's right about it doing well, I just worry that LGPE did well because the marketing and the design in general was targeted at a more casual audience, not because the hardcore crowd bought it anyway. I fear that Sw/Sh as a mainline Pokemon title might be more vulnerable to the hardcore crowd not liking it because their excitement tends to be what drives excitement for the game, and if the marketing doesn't target casuals specifically and depends on the hype machine to get the word out, the fans might disappoint them. I say this as someone not particularly bothered by the "controversies" of the national dex and transferring from previous games because I never "catch 'em all" or transfer from game to game. I just think the marketing strategy for the mainline Pokemon games is more driven by a fan-based hype machine than LGPE was, and that this controversy might throw a wrench into the traditional strategy's hype machine, because this level of "scandal" or at least fan outrage, just feels unprecedented in series history. Of course, it might amount to nothing. The last time I remember anything close to this level of outrage was Black2/White2, over being on the DS when the 3DS had just come out and because it was a sequel and that upset some people, but it's the best selling "third version" game yet so maybe it doesn't matter. Let's cross our fingers and hope for a performance on the level of G/S or better!

Around the Network
HylianSwordsman said:
I hope everyone's right about it doing well, I just worry that LGPE did well because the marketing and the design in general was targeted at a more casual audience, not because the hardcore crowd bought it anyway. I fear that Sw/Sh as a mainline Pokemon title might be more vulnerable to the hardcore crowd not liking it because their excitement tends to be what drives excitement for the game, and if the marketing doesn't target casuals specifically and depends on the hype machine to get the word out, the fans might disappoint them. I say this as someone not particularly bothered by the "controversies" of the national dex and transferring from previous games because I never "catch 'em all" or transfer from game to game. I just think the marketing strategy for the mainline Pokemon games is more driven by a fan-based hype machine than LGPE was, and that this controversy might throw a wrench into the traditional strategy's hype machine, because this level of "scandal" or at least fan outrage, just feels unprecedented in series history. Of course, it might amount to nothing. The last time I remember anything close to this level of outrage was Black2/White2, over being on the DS when the 3DS had just come out and because it was a sequel and that upset some people, but it's the best selling "third version" game yet so maybe it doesn't matter. Let's cross our fingers and hope for a performance on the level of G/S or better!

What Pokemon fan bought Let's Go but now wont buy Sword/Shield? That idea seems weird to me since if you were satisfied with only 20% of Pokemon why would 80% suddenly be an issue?

As has been said, the hardcore fans are an insignificant minority anyway. I'm not even sure if I can be considered one anymore as I'll have skipped 3 games in a row now. But yeah, even though I think the games will do well, I certainly don't hope they do.

Last edited by Lonely_Dolphin - on 31 August 2019

Think of the merchandise they'll sell over the years. Pokemon is an amazing cash machine.

Okay, upping my prediction from 10m to 13m

6M in two days, 11 in two weeks wouldn't be surprising !
With Chrismas +16 in totally possible.

Around the Network

229 users have predicted Pokemon SwSh to do around 10m units and below. Seriously before entering this thread, I didn't expect a single person on this website actually believes a new mainline Pokemon game is going to be shipped around spin-off Let's Go series let alone lower than that.

15m-18m

Edit:

I'll decrease my prediction to 13m-16m.

Last edited by Keybladewielder - on 19 December 2019

I'd say 12 - 13 million. It'll pass Pokemon Let's Go lifetime sales this month cuz Let's Go has zero legs. 6 million launch, gotta figure week 2 was like 1.5 million at least. Then Black Friday week lets just say another 1.5 million. Last week probably under 1 million, holidays heating up this week I'd say back to 1 million. So maybe 11 million already or close to it. So yeah I think 12 million for sure and could see it possibly hitting 13 million with two more weeks.

45% said Pokemon S/S will make less than Pokémon Let's Go.

Dont forgot PLG was maked 12M unis sold.

VGChartz has a lot of users based on the poll participants. Where are they btw?