By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo fans in China protest Genshin Impact announce at ChinaJoy 2019, claiming that it shamelessly copies BOTW

I'm more upset the game isn't coming to Switch.

Around the Network

Fanatics are always gonna make themselves look stupid, nothing new here.

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-6340-7643-4233 aka Renji

Steam: Lee Roid

Theres a difference between taking inspiration from something and ripping something off. This is clearly a ripoff.

pokoko said:
What about the thousands of other Chinese knock-off products? Do they get protesters, too?

Actually, after looking at gameplay, doesn't this just look like many other Japanese action RPGs?

Maybe because Sony is somewhat promoting it. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

I guess since there are two obscured, non identifiable, people in the twitter thread protesting the title using the plural "fans" is accurate, but there should be something to point out how minuscule the protest is (from what has been documented so far at least). Maybe something like "Two Nintendo fans in China protest..." would more accurately portray the situation.

Around the Network

The game's coming to PC and mobile anyways ...

It's totally normal for Sony sponsored Chinese developed games to release on non-competing platforms such as PC (but mobile is a first) because it's exactly what these developers want while Sony can get an advantage for supporting their development by releasing these games on their platform first ...

shikamaru317 said:

Why are there several protesters with Switch's at Sony's ChinaJoy conference if Switch isn't a thing in China?

Probably because they imported the Switch and it hasn't officially launched yet in China ? 

Besides the hardcore Nintendo fans in China, he's right that the Switch isn't much of a thing over there yet ... 

shikamaru317 said:

Yeah, guess they are imports. Seems Nintendo hasn't even released in China yet, though they just announced a partnership with Tencent (biggest Chinese publisher) to release Switch in China with Tencent localizing the games in Mandarin. Considering there seem to be alot of imported Switch's in China already, I suspect the launch will be a big success for Nintendo. 

I don't think Tencent are handling the localization of Switch games since it's totally the developers responsibility ... 

The localization efforts on the Switch is still really mediocre since it's less likely for a Switch game than a PS4 game to be translated in simplified Chinese ... (I imagine some of those hardcore Nintendo fans in China probably know other languages too such as English or Japanese just to get as much of the full experience as possible)

They say imitation is the greatest form of flattery afterall.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

RolStoppable said:
Sounds like a publicity stunt for the game.

very much so, the game visually looks a bit like botw, but if you look at 30 seconds of gameplay it shares almost nothing in common with that game from the movement to the combat... it looks like a clone of breath of the wild in the same way that Lumines is a Clone of Tetris and Columns... as in at a glance if you look at them and then you take a rock to the head, you would think they are identical.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive