By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Dune Remake Complete

gergroy said:
JRPGfan said:

Would love to see the IP in the hands of HBO.

YES!!!! That would be freaking amazing!!!  Even one of the streaming services like Netflix or amazon would be good if they put enough money into it, but HBO would be perfect!  

Would it? I read game of thrones, then could not get into the tv show, just doesn't compare. For good sci fi watch The Expanse, that has the depth and awesomeness of a book. Although I haven't read the books, perhaps if I had read them first the show would not have had the same effect. West world was pretty good though.

I just finished reading the reality dysfunction from Peter F Hamilton, that is some epic (20 hour) movie material. 1100 pages of amazing sc-fi and it's only book one of the Night's dawn trilogy. The problem is, it would take a billion dollars to make lol. Plus movies / tv shows wouldn't know how to deal with affinity and data vising (sort of like telepathy) A picture might be worth a thousand words, but it can't describe thought processes very well. Dune has a lot of internal dialogue, I wonder how it works in this version.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
gergroy said:

YES!!!! That would be freaking amazing!!!  Even one of the streaming services like Netflix or amazon would be good if they put enough money into it, but HBO would be perfect!  

Would it? I read game of thrones, then could not get into the tv show, just doesn't compare. For good sci fi watch The Expanse, that has the depth and awesomeness of a book. Although I haven't read the books, perhaps if I had read them first the show would not have had the same effect. West world was pretty good though.

I just finished reading the reality dysfunction from Peter F Hamilton, that is some epic (20 hour) movie material. 1100 pages of amazing sc-fi and it's only book one of the Night's dawn trilogy. The problem is, it would take a billion dollars to make lol. Plus movies / tv shows wouldn't know how to deal with affinity and data vising (sort of like telepathy) A picture might be worth a thousand words, but it can't describe thought processes very well. Dune has a lot of internal dialogue, I wonder how it works in this version.

Weird... obviously game of thrones is a hit with a huge audience.  I thought the show was amazing up until it ran out of source material and was still pretty good after that.  It was pretty faithful to the main plot threads of the books...

whatever the case, I don’t think the story of Dune can be told in a couple hours.  There is a huge amount of backstory and politics that need explanations to really understand it.  I don’t think it fits the movie format... 

gergroy said:
SvennoJ said:

Weird... obviously game of thrones is a hit with a huge audience.  I thought the show was amazing up until it ran out of source material and was still pretty good after that.  It was pretty faithful to the main plot threads of the books...

whatever the case, I don’t think the story of Dune can be told in a couple hours.  There is a huge amount of backstory and politics that need explanations to really understand it.  I don’t think it fits the movie format... 

Not even the extended 13 hour cut of the Lord of the rings can tell the whole story. Yet the main problem with film adaptations is, it always looks so much better in your mind when reading. Movies have the edge on sound design though :) Game of thrones didn't live up to the world I had build in my mind from the books. But indeed, the standard max 3 hour movie format is simply not capable of building a truly foreign sci-fi world.

SvennoJ said:
gergroy said:

The expanse books are so much better than the show. The show has some interesting ideas thrown in and, I can understand some aspects and decisions the show decided to go with. But ultimately the books pacing and story (even though the main story arch is almost the same) is much  better. Amos's actor sucks. 

bananaking21 said:
SvennoJ said:

The expanse books are so much better than the show. The show has some interesting ideas thrown in and, I can understand some aspects and decisions the show decided to go with. But ultimately the books pacing and story (even though the main story arch is almost the same) is much  better. Amos's actor sucks. 

I figured, yet reading them now already has the tv show characters in my head. The books are on my list anyway, still got a lot of Peter F. Hamilton to go through first. Currently reading Pandora's star. The show was also cancelled and now picked up by someone else so not expecting much of it anymore. And yeah Amos never really fit in.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
bananaking21 said:

I figured, yet reading them now already has the tv show characters in my head. The books are on my list anyway, still got a lot of Peter F. Hamilton to go through first. Currently reading Pandora's star. The show was also cancelled and now picked up by someone else so not expecting much of it anymore. And yeah Amos never really fit in.

It was picked up by amazon and they already approved a season 5 before season 4 has even come out.  If anything, I think the show is in better hands now.  Expanse is another show I freaking love.  

JRPGfan said:
weaveworld said:

As much as I loved the David Lynch movie, I am afraid they will not come close to the experience the book gives when reading. It's the same as with Ender's game, if you really want to take the awesomeness from the books to the screen, you have to make a non-Hollywood movie. And that is not happening since the audience doesn't have the patience anymore to sit through dialogues and voice-overs that portray thoughts. It would become too boring for most. 

This might just become another Sci-fi action movie deprived of the depths of the book. But... let's wait and see.

Im not too into reading Sci-fi, but man.... highly recammend reading "Orson Scott Card - The ender Saga" and after that, the follow up "The Shadow Saga".  In total its like 11-12 books, but their easy reads, and not that long.

If you watched the movie first, and then thought "I wonder what the books are like?", go read them.
Even though the movie is decent, the books are vastly better.

Nice to see someone familiar with the entire saga, those books are a joy to read. The mind of Card is a strange one, but these series are out of this world!

Latest Topics doesn't show forum section and tricked me to click here.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

SvennoJ said:
gergroy said:

Skip the second book. 90% of The Neutronium Alchemist consists of a filler sideplot that goes nowhere and has no impact whatsoever.

SvennoJ said:
gergroy said:

One thing is for sure,those last books that will be written will give me tons more enjoyment than the last few seasons of game of thrones,a long solid conclusion is what i need.