By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo to repair all Joy-Con drifting free

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/8xzzva/internal-nintendo-memo-instructs-customer-service-to-fix-joy-con-drift-for-free

“Customers will no longer be requested to provide proof of purchase for Joy-Con repairs,” the internal customer service details say. “Additionally it is not necessary to confirm warranty status. If a customer requests a refund for a previously paid Joy-Con repair [...] confirm the prior repair and then issue a refund.”

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/8xzzva/internal-nintendo-memo-instructs-customer-service-to-fix-joy-con-drift-for-free

This is excellent news and looks like the lawsuit may possibly be good to drop.

After the news broke earlier today that Nintendo was prompting people to contact support, I went ahead and submitted a ticket - though I expected the ticket to ultimately result in me being quoted a repair cost and me deciding not to send it in. Now I suppose I will be.

The biggest question now is - will they be integrating a more 'permanent' fix, or are they just going to be replacing the stick and saying "good luck"?

Last edited by thetonestarr - on 23 July 2019

SW-5120-1900-6153

Around the Network

If true, excellent news! I've used Nintendo's customer service before, it's great!

Excellent. Hopefully this applies to Australia too, I have four joy-cons in need of fixing (I've done them myself before, but replacements or not, they started drifting, again..) and if it's free I'll send them off ASAP.

Good to know. :)

Yay! I got 3 joycons that needs to be fixed!

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network

Interesting decision, especially at this point in time. I imagine they weighed the legal costs involved in a lawsuit and the likelihood that they would lose and decided to bite the bullet on free repairs. That's good, especially since lawyers are the only ones to really benefit from a class-action.

pokoko said:
Interesting decision, especially at this point in time. I imagine they weighed the legal costs involved in a lawsuit and the likelihood that they would lose and decided to bite the bullet on free repairs. That's good, especially since lawyers are the only ones to really benefit from a class-action.

Not just that but also the PR disaster that it would be if they didn't try to fix it. This would end up being what the Switch is best remembered for, years down the road.

SW-5120-1900-6153

So far, so good. Wish they would've responded sooner, when this issue became more widespread. But hey, better late than never.

mZuzek said:
As pointless as it could be. For one, because it doesn't cover the Pro controller, which also drifts - but more importantly, because simply getting a replacement doesn't mean it won't break again, it will. This seems like an easy thing to fix at a manufacturing level, they should just make new Joy-Con models.

This is just a short term solution. They have to do something now than just make promises for the future. Who knows if they will set a deadline for this, but it seemed like it is confirmed for NA while other regions are still uncomfirmed. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Great.

I hope they found a permanent fix and implemented in the revised model, I'll be waiting a bit before I buy it.