By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Are Nintendo games held to an unrealistic standard?

^^
BotW had been in development by Aonuma’s (aka the guy that only ever makes Zelda games) main Zelda team since 2012, from Aonuma’s own vision and idea. This isn’t like Star Fox Adventures or something. This wasn’t an idea that needed a well known IP to sell nor did the Switch have anything to do with it. BotW has always been a Zelda game through and through.

Around the Network

Arms maybe, but how many people have said pikmin or captain toad is a failure? Labo is a failure, because it exists.

Anyone who claims arms is a failure really shouldn’t be taken seriously

I find it funny that people believe Nintendo gets a free pass from criticism on their games. The truth is Nintendo has been in this business a long time and simply makes superb games.  Nintendo is held to the same standard as everybody else.  

Chrkeller said:

I find it funny that people believe Nintendo gets a free pass from criticism on their games. The truth is Nintendo has been in this business a long time and simply makes superb games.  Nintendo is held to the same standard as everybody else.  

Yes, but no. When you have a large portion of the fanbase as rabid as to attack you non-stop for giving one of their games a 7, still a good score, because it dropped the Metacritic rating 0.1, reviewers are definitely going to think twice before giving a Nintendo game a low score.

For Christ's sake, 1 2 Switch has a 58, which is above average. If Sony released that barebones a "game" at almost full price, it would have been ripped to shreds and given a 4 or below, which it deserves. IGN gave that game a 68.

In comparison, their reviewer fucked up a Sony review, The Fight, because he thought O was to block, but what he really did was constantly recalibrate the controllers.  Did they take it down and rereview it when that was pointed out? Nope. They simply edited out the part in the article where he admitted he was hitting O and the 30 score stood. If that had been a Nintendo game, fans would have destroyed that site until they did a new review from a new reviewer, who wouldn't have dared to give it anything less than a 8.

Around the Network
Jpcc86 said:
To a lower standard maybe.

As someone who plays all three consoles, this is false.  I hold Breath of the Wild as the better game when compared to Horizon Zero Dawn and Xenoblade to the same standard as other JRPGs.  You are trying too hard, your personal preference does not equate to overall quality.

OT, no I do not believe they are held to any different standard than any other.  In the WiiU days, 1-2 mil was a success sales wise and was deemed profitable.  Now the Switch is the hottest item in the market place right now, so people will naturally try to downplay success because negativity generates more attention than positivity, despite how profitable the game actually is for the sales it generates.  If 1-2 mil were a failure, long running franchises such as Ys, Persona, and God Eater would not exist.

People did the same thing to the PS4 at the start of the gen, trying to downplay everything and claiming that Infamous SS was a failure because CoD sold more (or some stupid notion like that).  It is the same result no matter who we are talking about, the #1 selling playform at a given time will be downplayed by media and those who do not want their success to continue.

Last edited by Shiken - on 21 July 2019

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

thismeintiel said:
Chrkeller said:

Yes, but no. When you have a large portion of the fanbase as rabid as to attack you non-stop for giving one of their games a 7, still a good score, because it dropped the Metacritic rating 0.1, reviewers are definitely going to think twice before giving a Nintendo game a low score.

For Christ's sake, 1 2 Switch has a 58, which is above average. If Sony released that barebones a "game" at almost full price, it would have been ripped to shreds and given a 4 or below, which it deserves. IGN gave that game a 68.

In comparison, their reviewer fucked up a Sony review, The Fight, because he thought O was to block, but what he really did was constantly recalibrate the controllers.  Did they take it down and rereview it when that was pointed out? Nope. They simply edited out the part in the article where he admitted he was hitting O and the 30 score stood. If that had been a Nintendo game, fans would have destroyed that site until they did a new review from a new reviewer, who wouldn't have dared to give it anything less than a 8.

Frankly I think that perceived bias is all in your head.  All fan bases have crazy morons who go nuts if a review is less than what they think it should be.  It isn't just a Nintendo thing.  At the end of the day people always view one set of fans as being the "worst" and I think that is folly.  Fanboys are everywhere and they are all annoying as crap.  If the TLoU 2 gets a low review, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind there will be people pitching a fit.  And it isn't limited to videogames either.  Go over to Meta and notice all the 0/10 scores for Last Jedi...  yeah, fair enough people don't like it and are entitled to their opinion, but a 0/10 is just absurd. 

People are morons is the shorter version.  At the end of the day I don't think reviewers go out of their way to rate Nintendo games easier than the competition.  That is just a lame excuse people use because they don't like the fact that Nintendo typically has some of the highest rated exclusive games every generation.  Instead of accepting Nintendo is a great developer, it has to be bias.  It reminds me of sports when team "A" only wins because you know, it is a conspiracy and the NCAA as an organization is purposely making them win via refs.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 21 July 2019

Chrkeller said:
thismeintiel said:

Frankly I think that perceived bias is all in your head.  All fan bases have crazy morons who go nuts if a review is less than what they think it should be.  It isn't just a Nintendo thing.  At the end of the day people always view one set of fans as being the "worst" and I think that is folly.  Fanboys are everywhere and they are all annoying as crap.  If the TLoU 2 gets a low review, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind there will be people pitching a fit.  And it isn't limited to videogames either.  Go over to Meta and notice all the 0/10 scores for Last Jedi...  yeah, fair enough people don't like it and are entitled to their opinion, but a 0/10 is just absurd. 

People are morons is the shorter version.  At the end of the day I don't think reviewers go out of their way to rate Nintendo games easier than the competition.  That is just a lame excuse people use because they don't like the fact that Nintendo typically has some of the highest rated exclusive games every generation.  Instead of accepting Nintendo is a great developer, it has to be bias.  It reminds me of sports when team "A" only wins because you know, it is a conspiracy and the NCAA as an organization is purposely making them win via refs.  

Except no "crazies" in a fanbase goes freaking nuts over a 7, and a 0.1 drop on Metacritic, like the Nintendo ones do.  Nor do they have the fanbase as a whole making excuse for them if they do.  Sure, I could see people getting pissed at a clickbait 4 for a big title, but at a 7 is just moronic.  There is no doubt that stops certain reviewers from giving them lower scores.  They don't want the headache of dealing with that.

Sure. Nintendo gets a free pass, and Coach K has the most wins only because the NCAA pays off the refs. And we never landed on the moon. I'm not going to argue with you.

I thought the question pertained to creativity rather than numbers. And that's obviously a whole other discussion.

Insert Coin. Press START. You Died. Continue?