By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - MS Q4 report: Xbox hardware down 48% YOY

The_Liquid_Laser said:
flashfire926 said:
Seems in line with what you would expect at the end of the console generation.

I would agree if Scarlett were releasing this year.  Since it's releasing next year, Microsoft is mostly out of the console business until late 2020.  Sony kind of made the same mistake though.  PS4 sales are plummeting.  

This is why I originally thought both Microsoft and Sony would release their next consoles this year.  That is the smartest strategy.  Instead they are just letting Switch dominate the marketplace for all of 2019 and 2020.

Sony are just being stubborn in not doing a perm price cut already.
Look at what happend with "amazon prime" day/week thingy.... sales went berzerk, and it was like 6 x PS4 sku's above any Switch model.

Theres still demand for PS4's.... Sony just need to cut prices.

Also games (exclusives):
MediEvil
DeathStranding
Shenmue III
Concrete Genie
Dreams
Final Fantasy VIIR
Wild
Ghost of Tsushima
Last of Us - Part 2
(we just had Judgement)

+ the PSVR titles.

Edit:
This is the year, if sony were smart they would do a perm price cut.
I honestly feel like they shoulda done one already by now.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 19 July 2019

Around the Network

Makes sense since last year held pretty strong on hardware sales especially in the first half of 2018 due to the massive surge of Fortnite when it should of been a decent decline leading to a bigger drop all at once this year.

Barkley said:

The actual figure for gaming revenue is on the gamebiz article.

"gaming revenue dropped 10% to $2 billion....  in revenue for the full year gaming represented $11.4 billion"

Just to update, that article rounds down the gaming revenue for the quarter pretty badly. As far as I can tell gaming revenue is actually this:

Q4 2017/2018 - $2.29 Billion 

Q4 2018/2019 - $2.52 Billion

Edit: Oops nevermind got confused, was looking at a July 2018 article. Down 10% smh.

Q4 2018/2019 - $2.06 Billion

Last edited by Barkley - on 19 July 2019

JRPGfan said:

Wild

I'm not sure if that game still is a thing. Isn't the guy responsible for that back at Ubisoft working at Beyond Good & Evil 2 ?

Agreed on the price drop thing. If Sony really wants to ship 16m this fiscal year they should do a decent drop and well before the holiday season imo.

Last edited by Lafiel - on 19 July 2019

JRPGfan said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I would agree if Scarlett were releasing this year.  Since it's releasing next year, Microsoft is mostly out of the console business until late 2020.  Sony kind of made the same mistake though.  PS4 sales are plummeting.  

This is why I originally thought both Microsoft and Sony would release their next consoles this year.  That is the smartest strategy.  Instead they are just letting Switch dominate the marketplace for all of 2019 and 2020.

Sony are just being stubborn in not doing a perm price cut already.
Look at what happend with "amazon prime" day/week thingy.... sales went berzerk, and it was like 6 x PS4 sku's above any Switch model.

Theres still demand for PS4's.... Sony just need to cut prices.

Also games (exclusives):
MediEvil
DeathStranding
Shenmue III
Concrete Genie
Dreams
Final Fantasy VIIR
Wild
Ghost of Tsushima
Last of Us - Part 2
(we just had Judgement)

+ the PSVR titles.

Edit:
This is the year, if sony were smart they would do a perm price cut.
I honestly feel like they shoulda done one already by now.

Yeah, I do think they need a permanent price cut.  Not sure what they're pricing strategy is at this point, but I was just looking at PS3 price cuts.  Once it went down to $299, it stayed that way until it got a cut to $269 3 years later.  That is not much of a cut.  

If they plan on having a similar pricing strategy for PS4, then I wouldn't count on price cuts driving sales up.

Around the Network

Yeah but how much is their Windows store sales up? I went from having no access to their games (I don't own nor wish to own an Xbox) to having the PC xbox pass (which I intend on keeping after the promotional period). They are now getting money from me when they weren't before.

Hard to keep hardware sales going when you don’t release any software for it. While third party software is great and where I do most of my gaming... you need some exclusives at least to differentiate you from the competition... Microsoft is on the right track with some of their acquisitions... still gonna take a lot to right that ship though...

Not surprising, the generation is winding down and Microsoft have already announced a next gen machine and a release date. I wouldn't be shocked to see PS4 drop too.

And some people were worried about Xbox One dragging Scarlett potential down because MS said that Xbox One will be supported for at least first two years after Scarlett launch. I don’t see it happening. Yeah, maybe MS themselves will still continue to support Xbox One, but I’m almost sure that third party publishers will drop it’s support pretty early.

hunter_alien said:
Said this before, and I am going to tell it again. If MS does not manage to get their shit together next-gen, the Xbox brand is good as dead and will follow Nokia and Windows (for mobile) into the grave. No amount of second-rate studio purchase will mend the damage that was done in the past 7-8 years.

Doubt that Xbox brand will be dead anytime soon otherwise Microsoft wouldn’t have been spending money on buying these studios, but unfortunately it seems clear that they aren interested in making dedicated console hardware anymore. So most likely they will release Scarlett and then make the decision about continuing making hardware or not based on how it performs. 

Dulfite said:
Yeah but how much is their Windows store sales up? I went from having no access to their games (I don't own nor wish to own an Xbox) to having the PC xbox pass (which I intend on keeping after the promotional period). They are now getting money from me when they weren't before.

Games & services, included that stuff.
Its down 3%? and overall all gameing related was down 10%.

So its down compaired to last year.
plus with how many people upgraded gamepass for 1$ and did the 3year trick.... it ll be awhile before things change I suspect.
basically it looks like haveing people buy games at full price is the most profitable way to go, if you can get them to do so.