By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - MS Q4 report: Xbox hardware down 48% YOY

DonFerrari said:
Unfortunately still no HW numbers, and even worse very big dip on the revenue. But well next gen is coming so it isn't unexpected.

Even without official ones, VGCz probably very close.
The thing is, the PS4 was actually up 2%.

That 48% drop is still big, even if next gen is like only 1,5years away.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
curl-6 said:

Not true; PS3 really wasn't that much more powerful than the 360, it was even weaker in some ways. It was expensive cos it used a ridiculous over-engineered custom chipset and a Blu-Ray player.

PS4 was cheaper than the Xbone yet it was more powerful. PS5 could exceed Scarlet's power at the same price launching a year later.

PS3 was more powerful than the 360.  I am including the Blu-Ray drive in that, since a Blu-Ray disc has significantly more capacity than a XB360 disc.  Overall the specs on the PS3 were clearly better (disc drive, clock speed, hard drive, etc...), but that drove up the price.

PS4 also proves my point, because the PS4 launched at a cheaper price and it trounced on the XB1.  Price matters a lot.  Price matters so much that it also makes power a disadvantage.  All other things being equal the weaker console has an advantage over a more powerful one.  Of course an expensive peripheral like Kinect can totally destroy that advantage, but that doesn't change the fact that having the weaker console is an advantage.  This is especially true when comparing Sony and Microsoft consoles, because they get mostly the same games.  In the end a lot of people just buy the cheaper console, and the easiest way to be cheaper is to be weaker.

WiiU was cheaper than PS4 and X1. You are being to simplistic on the analysis, just as when you say PS5 will struggle beucase of Switch.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

eva01beserk said:
@curl-6
Well both times Nintendo did so, they offered something the competition did not. Motion control with the switch and hybrid switch. Not to mention the huge nintendo library.

Scarlet on the other hand sounds like a carbon copy of the ps5 but without the ps library. If both ps5 and scarlet end up to similar again like ps4 and x1, then people will default to PlayStation cuz they have a prooven track record and MS is known for abandoning consoles mid gen.

MS still has the opportunity to learn from their mistakes with the Xbone and produce a more appealing product next gen. They may not necessarily outsell PS5 but they can still be a lot more successful than this gen simply by not making the same catastrophic missteps like launching underpowered and overpriced, the atrocious PR, etc.

@Curl-6
That's possible. But thouse blunders you mentioned can only get hold you back so much. Had MS offered anything on top of thouse awful policies, like maybe actual high quality games aside of the MS trio. Their situation would be a lot different. Cuz they did change back a lot but all they did was get the hardware close to what Sony already offered while Sony in the meantime released big game after big game.

I admit that them acquiring all these studios can only be good. More games even crappy ones are still a plus. But crappy games available everywhere are not reasons to be part of an ecosystem that Xbox is shifting into.

Its all wait and see. But it seems with gamepass they are focusing on quantity and not quality and not even exclusive quantity. I dont think they will improve anything that way.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.