By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PC passes PS4 to become Ubisoft's biggest earner

hmm, the last Ubisoft game I got was Watchdogs, and it was free on Uplay.

oh and Assassin Creed Black Flag. Also free.

Last edited by deskpro2k3 - on 18 July 2019

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Around the Network

PC, when it comes for money making, is more about F2P games that run on low specs. It doesn't mean people don't invest in powerful PCs to play multiplats with better visuals. But F2P games eclipse any AAA game for PC, as for the top 10 in revenues in may.

think-man said:
PC exclusives, what do you expect?

uhh, good sales?

Could say exactly the same about console exclusives as well.

It's amusing the hell out of me, how years after joining this site, the same mentality rears it's ugly head, whenever PC is above something this site considers "legit" important or of value to pay attention to. 

Ya'll congrat Sony exclusives reaching 10m, but I don't see many of you doing the same, in regards to this new event, unfolding for Ubisoft. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Barkley said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Well, Anno probably had not too much to do with it, since it lacks in microtransactions. But that is exactly what drove the sales apparently: "Higher-than-expected performance,led notably by Assassin’s Creed®Odyssey,Rainbow Six®Siege, and Player Recurring Investment". Especially Rainbow  Six Siege is notable, as it has now the highest player it ever had, 4 years after launch.  

Also, while it's 34% to 31%, keep in mind that last year it was 24% to 38%, so PC is 10 points higher while the PS4 dropped by 7 points, which are pretty substantial movements. And Switch is stuck at just 5%

They specifically state Anno is the reason.

" They attributed the PC surge primarily to the strength of the strategy game Anno 1800.

Advertisement

"The 34 percent was pushed by Anno, which is a PC-specific game, but even with that launch, we had a very good performance on PC overall," Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot said during an investors call."

Must have missed that. That makes it all more impressive, since the quarter was above expectations due to "Recurring Player Investment", aka microtransactions, season passes and the like, AC Odyssey, and RS Siege.

Chazore said:
think-man said:
PC exclusives, what do you expect?

uhh, good sales?

It's amusing the hell out of me, how years after joining this site, the same mentality rears it's ugly head, whenever PC is above something this site considers "legit" important or of value to pay attention to. 

Ya'll congrat Sony exclusives reaching 10m, but I don't see many of you doing the same, in regards to this new event, unfolding for Ubisoft. 

I must have missed it, which exclusives did Ubisoft release on the consoles in this report? 

Around the Network

Its not rocket science for Devs, PC is the way to go.

Chrkeller said:
I thought PC gaming was dying like 10 years ago???

It's dead, Jim.

If it wasn't dead, people wouldn't have to buy consoles anymore.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

think-man said:
Chazore said:

uhh, good sales?

I must have missed it, which exclusives did Ubisoft release on the consoles in this report? 

I think you missed his point. In the past decade, even when they had PC exclusives and the consoles didn't have anything, sales of PC games still got dwarfed by console game sales. But PC gaming is a growing force, and this here is showing how it's evolving

Noone can stop the return of the king.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
think-man said:

I think you missed his point. In the past decade, even when they had PC exclusives and the consoles didn't have anything, sales of PC games still got dwarfed by console game sales. But PC gaming is a growing force, and this here is showing how it's evolving

This isn't true. The last time the PC had an exclusive and the consoles (PS3/360) didn't have anything was Settlers 7 in March 2010, when it WON against the PS3/360 that had nothing. On the rare occasion when PC gets exclusives and Consoles get nothing, it wins. It has won quarters where multiplat titles have launched as well.

Anno 1800 (Q1 2019/2020) - PC Won, no console titles.

Anno 2205 (Q3 2015/2016) - PC Lost. Anno 2205 bombed was the worst game in the series, AC Syndicate launched same quarter.

Might & Magix X Legacy (Q4 2013/2014) - PC Won. South Park Stick of Truth launched same quarter.

Shootmania Storm (Q1 2013/2014) - PC Won (Tied with 360), Comparatively small unsuccessful title. Far Cry Blood Dragon launched this quarter also.

Might & Magic Heroes VI + Anno 2070 (Q3 2011/2012) - PC Lost, Reason: Console dominated Q3, Just Dance released on Wii selling a crapton, Assassins Creed Revelation pushed 360/PS3. Rayman Origins multiplat release.

Settlers 7 (Q4 2009/2010) - PC Beat PS3/360, lost to Wii. Red Steel 2 launched on Wii this quarter, Wii just being the Wii. PS3/360 had no notable releases this quarter.

PC has won even when there's been other multiplat titles released in the same quarter. PC losing when it has received a major exclusive and consoles have had nothing has not happened and would be shocking if it did.

A PC Win is completely expected.

Last edited by Barkley - on 19 July 2019