By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What if future: Pokemon Sword and Shield are profitable, but 'Age of Ultrons'

RingoGaSuki said:
mZuzek said:

I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Honestly if/when the Gen IV remake comes I can see them just completely removing the post-game island as a whole and gimping the underground (how about no secret bases there too). It wouldn't be surprising or anything, they've been removing shit senselessly for multiple gens now.

Around the Network

It is quite possible, but I doubt it will affect Nintendos plans too much. Similar to the DS and 3DS, we will likely still get a remake and another Gen on the Switch.

I'm very grim towards Game Freak's future. Either SwSh makes the usual amount and the removal of stuff continues forever, or the game underperformes andThe Pokemon Co decides to push the mobile gams over the mainline titles (or even the console spinoffs), hurting the series either way. No way a single pokemon generation outperforms the mobile profits during the same timeframe.

Either way, I'm buying Digimon Cyber Sleuth Collection instead of SwSh. It's more content rich, better priced, looks better and will probably have a better story.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

People are buying a "double-pack" a.k.a they're purchasing two copies of the same game. If they can sell people that they can get away with pretty much anything.

Pokemon Sword and Shield will sell 15m+ and people will gobble up the $60 upgraded version later where they change less than 10% of the game.

In the past few years, Game Freak has been trying more and more to sells their games to kids and to nostalgic people who haven't played the series in 20 years, completely ignoring their fanbase. This business tactic usually works well for a few years, but not in the long term. One time in the future their games will start flopping. Sword & Shield however, are not yet these games. The Pikachu movie and the fact that they're the first mainline console games will easily get them over 15 million.

Around the Network

Most of these controversies are stupid and won’t affect the games at all. I suspect these games will be the best selling PKMN games since gen 2. I’m so excited, November is almost here

I've had similar thoughts before, and I think it's our only hope. There's no way in Arceus's name that these games won't sell well, given the fact that Let's Go has already sold over 10M, but we can always hope for underperformance. And I do share the concern that this would just cause them to neglect consoles even more and focus on mobile, but I'm not too worried about that. There's little to no shared resources between the mobile development and the console development, and the main series games are, even in a worst-case scenario, going to be very, very profitable.

For the first time ever, I'm going to be rooting against a game's success. Big sales will just keep encouraging Game Freak to continue on with the downwards spiral. I won't judge anyone who chooses to buy it, I just hope few people do.

NNID: garretslarrity

Steam: garretslarrity

It's time the people complaining accept the games aren't aimed at them anymore the game is going to sell like mad after all despite people's complaints about PLG that still sold 10m in a month. The series is still aimed at the same people it always has been only now you're no longer part of group which why your complaints on graphics and what not will never really rock GF because for all the 85k people down voting the videos the will be 15m still buying the games because they're not looking for what you're asking from GF you've become a niche group in the fanbase essentially.

The way people look back at gen 1 and 2 is how a number of people are going to be looking back at SW/SH in future because for them this will be their moment much like it was for the players who played R/B or G/S.

I don't play Pokémon games, but I've been having an obsession as of late with watching videos comparing SwSh to old Pokémon spin-off games, mobile knockoffs and college projects that somehow blow Game Freak's build quality out of the water. Just watching that is very amusing and sad.

And then sometimes they compare them to DQXI, which is understandable. A lot of stuff needs to change inside the company, fans need to demand, more than ever, things more in line with the times.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

I feel like Poke'mon is going to become just another kid's game. Like Yo-Kai Watch 1-2. Something that is good, but not a must own franchise. One of the main reasons why Poke'mon has lasted so long despite GameFreak is because the original idea was groundbreaking in 1996. Let's make a game where you can catch and train all 150 monsters in the game. When's the last RPG you played where you had 150 or more potential party members?

Aside from Ni No Kuni, or Yo-Kai-Watch I can't think of any. And those two games are pretty much Poke'mon inspired.