By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch Lite Officially Revealed - $199, September 20th, Dedicated Handheld

Barkley said:
JRPGfan said:

I think Nintendo should tbh.
Greed for profits on hardware isnt worth the potential loss from software + services.

Nintendo should be chaseing that Wii effect, with the 99$ console price.
Todays 149$ is probably akin to that of the 99$ Wii back then.

Plus handhelds are more price sensetive than home consoles...... If I was nintendo Id go for explosive growth in hardware sales.
199$ is still "pricy" for a handheld, 149$ and market adoption drastically increases.

You're assuming that if they dropped the price to $149 they could keep up with demand. I'm fulling expecting the Switch to sell at least 20m this year and next.

Why limit yourself to 20m though? If you can do 25m-30m? Id try to lower prices and aim for the moon.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:

What happend? did they even make use of the new chips?
Wheren't they supposed to be useing 16nm chips for these? or will there be a refresh with newer models to both soon?

I'm not really sure, we'll find out soon enough but I'm not convinced that the Switch Lite actually uses the new chip. But for $199 I think this is a great deal for people who only want a handheld.

JRPGfan said:
Barkley said:

5.5", marginally improved battery life.

Thats actually slightly dissapointing.
Screen shrunk more than it looks like it needed too (look at the wasted area around the screen).
Battery life is only +30 minuets more?

Wheren't they supposed to be useing 16nm chips for these? or will there be a refresh with newer models to both soon?

ei. dont be a early adoptor of this lite model?

If a much cheaper price point was their goal, as it clearly was,  spending money on a new line of chips would have worked against that.  Plus, if the new chip design didn't reduce the temperatures when performing at comparable levels enough to where the system could be passively cooled, the bulk of potential gains wouldn't happen.  The system would still be roughly the same size to accommodate the active cooling system.  Battery life would be improved some more but honestly,  not enough to justify the R&D

No docking is a bummer. I do like to play on the big screen now and then. I think i will wait for the new pro model.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Barkley said:
colafitte said:

Yeah, that was weird too, but Vita TV was so uneventful that nobody cared. With Switch LITE there will be news about sales each month...There's going to be some fired discussions in forums about it....

I don't think so. I'd be surprised if there's many people at all that think the Switch Lites sales should be counted seperate to the Switch. They'd be the vast minority on here anyway.

Well, maybe...., I just side with the pessimistic side in this kind of things because.....well is gaming forums in the internet we are talking about..... It's just that i remember Mat Piscatella giving an explanation back then why Switch was counted as home console in competition with PS4 and XBO on NPD's and it was because it was a hybrid console. He needed to state that because there were lots of people (here too) that didn't considered Switch a home console. Now with Switch Lite, you can bring back that argument again.

It's just tricky, but yeah, it's a Switch console in the end...

Around the Network
Barkley said:
JRPGfan said:

I'm not really sure, we'll find out soon enough but I'm not convinced that the Switch Lite actually uses the new chip. But for $199 I think this is a great deal for people who only want a handheld.

If these are still the 20nm chips,... and the only differnce is the smaller screen = slightly increased battery life.
Then next year, they use the 16nm shrunk chips + price cut (from shrinkage saveings).

Alot of early adopters could get burnt.... a year lateron there will be a cheaper model that actually fanless + has better battery life.
They ll probably make use of the "new" like they did with the 2ds/3ds.

New Switch, New Switch Lite.

JRPGfan said:
Barkley said:

You're assuming that if they dropped the price to $149 they could keep up with demand. I'm fulling expecting the Switch to sell at least 20m this year and next.

Why limit yourself to 20m though? If you can do 25m-30m? Id try to lower prices and aim for the moon.

Pursuing pricecuts too aggressively too quickly will result in a more rapid degradation of perceived value.  You'll hit your pricing floor faster,  which will put you in the position of not being able to cut prices to keep up the momentum built mostly on bargain pricing.  Look at Xbone.  MS abused the fire sale strat so much early on that for the past couple years trying to sell the Xbone at MSRP was a lost cause.  Sales soared when they did firesales...at first.  But every bump got lower and lower.  And after each and every one, sales cratered.  The Xbone isn't worth what MS needs to actually be selling it at anymore, not in the eyes of the consumer.

Or to put it more simply, you always ere high because you would rather be a bit high and have to do a little trimming than too low.  Because you can always lower the price, you can never raise it.

Nuvendil said:
JRPGfan said:

Screen shrunk more than it looks like it needed too (look at the wasted area around the screen).

If a much cheaper price point was their goal, as it clearly was,  spending money on a new line of chips would have worked against that.  Plus, if the new chip design didn't reduce the temperatures when performing at comparable levels enough to where the system could be passively cooled, the bulk of potential gains wouldn't happen.  The system would still be roughly the same size to accommodate the active cooling system.  Battery life would be improved some more but honestly,  not enough to justify the R&D

Yeah but theres supposedly credible rumors, saying just that.
A shrunk down Tegra like the one in the switch, is in the works atm.

It just appears these models arnt makeing use of it.

I was one of the people that didn't think Nintendo would release a Switch that didn't switch. And then they went and removed even more features than I thought. I'll take the egg on my face on this one. This is... interesting.

That being said, this firmly plants the Switch in the "handheld" category, and it becomes very easy what the direction of Nintendo will take with the Switch going forward. Expect to see much more emphasis on games with a handheld focus feature set.. The whole "hybrid console" was nothing more than a marketing ploy for the get-go.

Last edited by potato_hamster - on 10 July 2019

JRPGfan said:
Barkley said:

5.5", marginally improved battery life.

ei. dont be a early adoptor of this lite model?

I mean, smaller Switch, smaller battery. Even so 4 hours playing Zelda Botw (one of Switch's most battery intensive games) is a nice bump, I was never expecting anything crazy.