By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Should Halo Infinite drop Xbox One and go Scarlet exclusive?

Tagged games:

Should it?

Yes, dump Xbone, next gen exclusive 35 42.68%

No, keep it cross gen with Xbone 47 57.32%

Total:82
shikamaru317 said:

I'll just say that Joe Staten coming in as the new Infinite campaign lead is not indicative of a delay to 2022. If anything, it signals that they want to make sure that they meet their 2021 launch window at all costs, and are bringing in a veteran to help ensure that. Staten is not replacing the Batman Arkham guy who is the lead writer on Infinite, which suggests that we will see few or no story changes. Staten just seems to be there to oversee the development of the campaign and make sure that the team stays on track and on schedule, in order to take some of the pressure off the overall game director. They also brought in the guy who has been running MCC the last year to have the same role over the multiplayer team that Staten has over the singleplayer team.

Yeah it definitely doesn't mean it will be delayed until 2022. I suspect they will hit 2021 with a successful re-reveal (including craig) and the game will be a huge success. However it does indicate that they're desperately trying to slap a band-aid on the current mess. Heads are going to roll after this, if they haven't already.

What's really astounding is that a studio that has spent the past 13 years working on only one world, one franchise, with a seemingly blank check and a veritable whose who of top industry talent, could end up dropping the ball like this. There is either a huge amount of incompetence at the highest level of the studio, or the pressure came externally from MS, and 343 were not ready. Or a combination of both.

It may also have simply been too ambitious for the time frame- 3 development teams, 3 platforms, new engine, switching to open world with a possible BR mode?

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

I'll just say that Joe Staten coming in as the new Infinite campaign lead is not indicative of a delay to 2022. If anything, it signals that they want to make sure that they meet their 2021 launch window at all costs, and are bringing in a veteran to help ensure that. Staten is not replacing the Batman Arkham guy who is the lead writer on Infinite, which suggests that we will see few or no story changes. Staten just seems to be there to oversee the development of the campaign and make sure that the team stays on track and on schedule, in order to take some of the pressure off the overall game director. They also brought in the guy who has been running MCC the last year to have the same role over the multiplayer team that Staten has over the singleplayer team.

The strange part is that they didn't brought a producer or general leader of kind but a story leader to it, how exactly does his experience on writting will help on bringing the whole project forward faster?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

If they are truly planning on making Halo a GaaS multi-year product like Destiny, then there's no reason to assume that hiring someone means a lengthy development time. They have tons of outsourced help. Anyone who has worked on a big project professionally will know that sometimes it makes a big difference just to get some new eyes on a project. Personally I hope the senior staff at 343i get a big reworking. Guardians is the worst Halo game in the series imho, and now they dropped the ball with Infinite development.

I think MS will launch the game in 2021. Even if the campaign isn't fully finished, they can cut some out for later and release the full free to play MP.

As someone who was fine with how it looked in July, I'm not personally fussed whether or not they drop Xbone, but I do hope the game arrives sooner rather than later. I'm actually interested in getting it and I'm sick and tired of games I want being dragged out to be end of time.

shikamaru317 said:
DonFerrari said:

The strange part is that they didn't brought a producer or general leader of kind but a story leader to it, how exactly does his experience on writting will help on bringing the whole project forward faster?

He has more than just writing experience, he has directorial experience as well. He was the director of cinematics on Halo 1, 2, and 3, meaning that he not only wrote the dialogue for Halo 1, 2, and 3's cutscenes, but directed the art team that made the hand drawn storyboards and the animation team who made the actual cutscenes. He was both Design Director (meaning he directed the whole design team) and Story Director on Destiny before he left Bungie in 2013 after the studio heads decided to scrap the story he wrote for it. The he joined Microsoft as an executive creative director, and served in that role on both ReCore and Tell Me Why. 

Thanks for the clarification. A producer from the Halo trilogy would be a good addition as well.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

this just means the midnight release party is going to happen, that has been sometime ago

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Just release the game on the same day as Halo CE. Make it a 20 year anniversary event. Make the most of this. I don’t mind waiting till November 2021. Should be enough time to make Series X version pretty while making the Xbox One version stable enough.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Hiku said:
goopy20 will no longer be participating in this thread, or any Microsoft Discussion threads.

If we are talking about a late 2021 release, it does kinda beg the question of how many people will even still be active on Xbox One by that point, a year after the release of Series X/S.

shikamaru317 said:
curl-6 said:

If we are talking about a late 2021 release, it does kinda beg the question of how many people will even still be active on Xbox One by that point, a year after the release of Series X/S.

Well, Call of Duty Advanced Warfare was a cross-gen release Holiday 2014, 1 year after XB1 and PS4 released. VGC has physical sales for Advanced Warfare at:

• PS3- 4.27m
  • 360- 4.34m 
  • XB1- 5.22m
  • PS4- 7.53m

So it seems like they could maybe increase their potential console playerbase by about 80% by still releasing on Xbox One Holiday 2021, instead of Xbox Series/PC only. However, it is worth noting that the Xbox Series S, especially if it costs $250-300 as rumored, could possibly prompt much faster next-gen adoption rates than we saw this gen, especially if MS did make Halo Infinite Xbox Series/PC only. 

That's the thing, it seems like S could make the transition faster this time, also this is for COD, a more casual game. Xbone was also not as successful as PS3 or 360.