By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Would Like To Deliver Legacy Platform Games "in some form"

mysteryman said:
RolStoppable said:
Doesn't it look obvious that Nintendo plans to make more old games available in chronological order of past consoles? The longterm plan is to have a consistent revenue stream from subscriptions, so SNES games won't come until NES games are nearing their end and so on.

You can also expect the subscription fee to increase in price once more classic console games are available.

The subscription model works for Nintendo as well, because it doesn't inherently devalue the IP. You can pay for timed access (monthly, yearly etc.) but you are never paying peanuts to buy their IP.

I agree completely with the two of you, in terms of Nintendo pursuing this model with this reasoning. 

As a consumer I hate it, though. First, I'd like to own games, and secondly, I do not like that older Nintendo games do not devalue as per industry standards. I still buy 3-4 year old PS4 games new for a solid price (15-20 bucks), and never picked up Donkey Kong Country Returns after its initial release because it refused to sell for a good price. At this point, Nintendo is my main victim of second-hand buys. Understandably, they are also the only company I ever buy new releases from, because I know the price will stay the same anyway. So far they're winning and I'm losing, the bastards. 

Around the Network

They'll be back as soon as they figure out how to remonetize them in such a way that it won't illicit backlash.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

It'll be made available to people who subscribe monthly to Nintendo Online "Premium" (base level only gets you access to NES titles).

Nintendo knows they stand to make more money from monthly revenue rather than selling a ROM once.

There's still an N64 Classic to sell first too. 

Give us more plastic boxes

Barkley said:
curl-6 said:

Meanwhile the Nvidia Shield TV, also running on a Tegra X1, has official 1080p Nintendo ports of Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess, and Donkey Kong Country Returns... only in China.

Yep, I remember when Super Mario Galaxy was released for the Shield thinking it basically confirmed that it was also coming to Switch. It's the same hardware that's in the Switch so not putting it on the Switch would be silly. Yet a year later and still nothing.

Same, I figured it made no sense to go to the effort of doing official ports to Tegra X1 hardware, thus proving it's capable of playing Wii games in HD practically flawlessly, only to then only sell them on a not-so-popular micro-console in one country. Even by Nintendo standards that's just a bizarre move.