By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - "Anti fascists" Severely Beat Journalist

irstupid said:
Machiavellian said:

For me it's a little more complex than siding with either one.  First I will never side with Antifa because I consider them just another thug group.  Even if the worst thing they did was throw milkshakes and eggs at people I would still consider then garbage.  Any group that feels those types of acts are acceptable need to have each and every member charged with assault and prosecuted to full extent of the law.

As to Mr. Ngo, my feelings are little different.  I am looking at this motivation and his aim in making this confrontation.  Afterwards I am looking at what he says and does and the narrative he is building based on what happened.  If his aim was to walk into danger, expose Antifa for a violent group, gain national traction against such groups (not just Antifa) and be the rally cry for Americans to stop tolerating this BS, then he would be my hero but instead he is a player. What I mean by that is that he is playing the left vs right game.  He doesn't denounce other violent groups but instead paints a picture of the violent left.  His narrative is that the left is violent based on Antifa and he builds a story on those grounds.  This just makes him another asshole in this whole BS of left and right which further divide the nation and doesn't move the needle forward.

So, Mr. Ngo turned a hero moment into just another partisan BS crap we have seen in the US for decades.  Maybe there will be someone who takes that beating for everyone not just the right or the left but it sure isn't Mr. Ngo.

Again, ignore either groups/person past and just take the istuation up front. In a developed country that is not in a civil war/revolt/uprising/ect a civilian is beaten up by a group of masked individuals.   THE END

Quit this "he was asking for it" Go and tell a rape victim s/he was asking for it by the way they dressed.

But let's go down this 'asking for it' route. Let's use sports football for an example. If I were to do a study on which sports teams fans are the best and worst, a simple way would be to put on a rival teams jersey and walk over to the tailgating area before a game and see what happens. Heck maybe even talk smack. 

Let's say I wear a Vikings jersey and go to Green Bay and get beat up.

Then I wear a Packers jersey and go to Minneapolis and don't get beat up. 

Which team has worse fans? You could say I was asking for it in both situations. The difference is that one group of people didn't resort to violence. 

First and Foremost, you need to stop with the "He was asking for it" BS because I never stated that or implied it.  Instead, I stated anyone who walks into the middle of a violent group looking to do you harm will probably get harmed because its basic common sense.  Do you deny this part or not.  

As to the current issue, I am not looking at the just the event.  That is fine and dandy for you if that makes you feel good but I am looking at all the players, past, present and future.  If a violent group assault anyone no matter how mild, I never disagreed that they should be punished and evident you totally skipped that part in my reply.  

Lets take your analogy.

"Let's say I wear a Vikings jersey and go to Green Bay and get beat up."

Now, after getting beat up, you go on national media, internet sites and whatever preaching that all Green Bay fans are violent instead of concentrating on the people that actually did the act.  Lets say before you decided to wear that Viking Jersey, you have a repeated the message that "ALL" Green Bay fans are violent aHoles then decided to sit on the Green Bay side with your Viking Jersey.

This in my eyes would make you just as much an Ahole as the people who beat you up.  I would see you as a person whose aim is to instigate chaos and then build a narrative to disapparage all Green Bay fans instead of concentrating on the people that beat you up.

You want to view this story as only a reporter getting his butt kicked by Antifa.  I on the other hand is looking at the total story including the aftermath.  I am looking at all the players and their actions and viewing how they develop their story on this event. If the only thing you want to do is state that Antifa is bad and they should be punish, then we have no disagreement there but if you also want to put Mr. Ngo on a pedestal then that is where we have a difference in opinion.

Around the Network
Machiavellian said:
irstupid said:

Again, ignore either groups/person past and just take the istuation up front. In a developed country that is not in a civil war/revolt/uprising/ect a civilian is beaten up by a group of masked individuals.   THE END

Quit this "he was asking for it" Go and tell a rape victim s/he was asking for it by the way they dressed.

But let's go down this 'asking for it' route. Let's use sports football for an example. If I were to do a study on which sports teams fans are the best and worst, a simple way would be to put on a rival teams jersey and walk over to the tailgating area before a game and see what happens. Heck maybe even talk smack. 

Which team has worse fans? You could say I was asking for it in both situations. The difference is that one group of people didn't resort to violence. 

First and Foremost, you need to stop with the "He was asking for it" BS because I never stated that or implied it.  Instead, I stated anyone who walks into the middle of a violent group looking to do you harm will probably get harmed because its basic common sense.  Do you deny this part or not.  

As to the current issue, I am not looking at the just the event.  That is fine and dandy for you if that makes you feel good but I am looking at all the players, past, present and future.  If a violent group assault anyone no matter how mild, I never disagreed that they should be punished and evident you totally skipped that part in my reply.  

Lets take your analogy.

Now, after getting beat up, you go on national media, internet sites and whatever preaching that all Green Bay fans are violent instead of concentrating on the people that actually did the act.  Lets say before you decided to wear that Viking Jersey, you have a repeated the message that "ALL" Green Bay fans are violent aHoles then decided to sit on the Green Bay side with your Viking Jersey.

This in my eyes would make you just as much an Ahole as the people who beat you up.  I would see you as a person whose aim is to instigate chaos and then build a narrative to disapparage all Green Bay fans instead of concentrating on the people that beat you up.

You want to view this story as only a reporter getting his butt kicked by Antifa.  I on the other hand is looking at the total story including the aftermath.  I am looking at all the players and their actions and viewing how they develop their story on this event. If the only thing you want to do is state that Antifa is bad and they should be punish, then we have no disagreement there but if you also want to put Mr. Ngo on a pedestal then that is where we have a difference in opinion.

I think the point is relevance.

It is irrelevant that Ngo opted to saunter into danger even knowing full well that violence could happen to him. The fault lies 100% in those that use violence. It is a distraction. I mean, let me ask: what is your point? What do you feel is the relevance in pointing this out?

And like he said, the same could be said with rape victims. If someone is raped then some guy says: "but well she DID walk into a dangerous alley wearing barely any clothing!", how do you think that could be taken here?

Point is: Antifa has turned violent. Or at least a segment of it has graduated from intimidation/harassment to actual violence. And apparently (correct me if I am wrong) some people think a person's beliefs is sufficient reason for him to be "asking for it". At least, the people who assaulted him and the people who defend the assaulters are at least.

And NO. A person wearing something provocative does not share blame with those that resort to violence. The fault is always 100% on those who escalate and do violence.A victim is not as much as an asshole as those who attack them. What the heck is wrong with you?

Machiavellian said:
irstupid said:

Lets take your analogy.

That is semantics in wording. Same thing as saying he was asking for it. 

I simplified my example to two teams. Didn't want to write a long post. If I were going to be doing a STUDY, I would do the same with all teams in the NFL with many different situations. Multiple Jerseys for testing and all teams. Then come out with a list of all 32 teams and how they fared, ranking from most friendly to most unwelcoming to even violent. It would involve many fans on each team, not just one group.

Just like one can look at the many articles about Antifa in the past couple years and begin to draw conclusions about them. I will let you make your own opinion on Antifa. 

But this is all beside the point. Please drop the whole "he was asking for it" however you want to word it.

RolStoppable said:
irstupid said:

(...)

I wouldn't sympathize with you if you got beaten up by Packers fans.

You a Packer fan or something?

Would you sympathy change if I was a Packer fan that got beat up by Bears fans?

The point is, doesn't matter how I am dressed, or how much heckling I do, I should not get beat up. Authorities/security will take care of me easy enough if someone just informs them or they witness it. What's the two saying:

Take the high road.
It doesn't matter who started it.

What I learned from this thread is that a rapist who got beaten up by an angry mob whould be a hero for some people because "ignore said person's past and just take the situation upfront". Disgusting.

Around the Network
Player2 said:

What I learned from this thread is that a rapist who got beaten up by an angry mob whould be a hero for some people because "ignore said person's past and just take the situation upfront". Disgusting.

so again what is his past? what makes him such a villain in your eyes?

I have asked people like you constantly to provide evidence that this man is a bad person who as many have said "was asking for it" and so far the only response I have seen is that he doesn't like islam which again is the case with most people trying desperate to denigrate him 

I mean here you are trying to compare him to a rapist? what the fuck?

RolStoppable said:
o_O.Q said:

"The president of the United States himself stuck up for what the far-right did in Charlottesville."

evidence? quote?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/04/25/meet-trump-charlottesville-truthers/?utm_term=.7f265b48fab5

Alternatively, you can google the words "Trump" and "Charlottesville" to read more about the controversy from a source of your choice.

so he was specifically talking about the nazis and calling the nazis specifically good people?

you do understand of course that he clarified what he said to mean other right leaning people who were meeting in the area?

or does it not matter when someone clarifies their position on things?

DrDoomz said:
Machiavellian said:

Lets take your analogy.

It is irrelevant that Ngo opted to saunter into danger even knowing full well that violence could happen to him. The fault lies 100% in those that use violence. It is a distraction. I mean, let me ask: what is your point? What do you feel is the relevance in pointing this out?

And like he said, the same could be said with rape victims. If someone is raped then some guy says: "but well she DID walk into a dangerous alley wearing barely any clothing!", how do you think that could be taken here?

Point is: Antifa has turned violent. Or at least a segment of it has graduated from intimidation/harassment to actual violence. And apparently (correct me if I am wrong) some people think a person's beliefs is sufficient reason for him to be "asking for it". At least, the people who assaulted him and the people who defend the assaulters are at least.

And NO. A person wearing something provocative does not share blame with those that resort to violence. The fault is always 100% on those who escalate and do violence.A victim is not as much as an asshole as those who attack them. What the heck is wrong with you?

It's funny how you equate a provoked assault from an extremist group to an unprovoked rape like they're the same thing.

How much mental gymnastics do you have to do to get to that false equivalence?

tsogud said:
DrDoomz said:

It is irrelevant that Ngo opted to saunter into danger even knowing full well that violence could happen to him. The fault lies 100% in those that use violence. It is a distraction. I mean, let me ask: what is your point? What do you feel is the relevance in pointing this out?th

It's funny how you equate a provoked assault from an extremist group to an unprovoked rape like they're the same thing.

My point flew over your head it seems.

The point is that it is irrelevant either way. Once you escalate to violence (whether it be physical or sexual violence), when neither the implication nor the threat of violence existed, you are always the one at fault. You are the victimizer. Those that would handwave/support/excuse such actions are just a step or two down from the those perpetrating said violence.

And how exactly did Ngo provoke people? I've been waiting for people to provide some form of reasonable provocation but people keeps going to thought crimes.

DrDoomz said:
tsogud said:

My point flew over your head it seems.

The point is that it is irrelevant either way. Once you escalate to violence (whether it be physical or sexual violence), when neither the implication nor the threat of violence existed, you are always the one at fault. You are the victimizer. Those that would handwave/support/excuse such actions are just a step or two down from the those perpetrating said violence.

And how exactly did Ngo provoke people? I've been waiting for people to provide some form of reasonable provocation but people keeps going to thought crimes.

Antifa and the Proud Boys are both violent extremist groups and have committed violence in the past and it's known by any journalist that they wouldn't hesitate to commit violence at this event as well. And to add to that Antifa had already labeled Ngo as a person of interest which Ngo knew about before going in. So by your definition the implication and threat of violence WAS ALREADY THERE. So by your own words you've falsely equated this incident with an unprovoked rape.

EDIT: Look I don't really care if you think Ngo is a hero or not or what position you take on this incident but I do care about this being falsely equated to a rape because it's extremely problematic. Rape victims go through actual victim blaming and a myriad of other obstacles besides being horribly raped and to equate what rape victims go through to what he went through is just disgusting. It doesn't help anybody especially rape victims who already have a hard to time in this society.

Last edited by tsogud - on 11 July 2019