By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 2020: The peek of the Switch?

SecondWar said:
For the last 2 major Zelda titles (Skywatd Sword and Breath of the Wild) weren't there a few years between the initial announcement and the eventual release?

I mean, I'd love to see BotW 2 sooner rather than later but I'd be amazed if it comes out in 2020.

If it's running the same engine, then I'd say the next Zelda should be out sooner than most people expect. They already have a base for the game from BotW, all they need to do now is retrofit it with new assets and story and you should have a late 2020 release at the earliest.

fatslob-:O said:
Nearly zero chance of that happening without price cut and I'm not counting on it happening either in the long-term. By the end of this year, the vast majority of Nintendo's leading game franchises will have released thus the Switch will likely end up experiencing sagging sales next year ...

Then they can delve into their lower tier properties and focus on more unique and niche games for 2020 as well.

Around the Network

I'm pretty sure this will be the peak year. Nintendo is going to have a hard time matching it's releases this year, especially Pokemon. I also think we'll see a $249 Switch, even if only for BF week.

Unless Nintendo drops to $199 sometime next year, this will probably be its peak year. Not that sales will collapse. 2020 should be relatively close to this year. 2021 is when the real declines will happen.

TheMisterManGuy said:

Then they can delve into their lower tier properties and focus on more unique and niche games for 2020 as well.

Not going to help either since Nintendo used many of their lesser IPs already ... 

TheMisterManGuy said:

Not going to help either since Nintendo used many of their lesser IPs already ... 

They still have stuff like a new Star Fox, ARMS 2, any 1-2 Switch-esque party games, more Mario Sports, Diamond and Pearl Remakes, Bayo 3, and perhaps more New IP and co-productions with other developers. Nintendo isn't like a tank that can only use a set number of franchises and that's it. There's plenty of avenues they can take for future Switch software.

I honestly think that 2020 does have a good chance of being Switch's peak year. Animal Crossing in March is one heck of a way to start the year. With possible revisions and/or price cuts and bundles, I think it could top 2019.

1doesnotsimply

Around the Network

if they release a 199 switch mini... then i would say Absolutely :P

I want to buy a switch but I don't wanna pay $300 because I have a feeling it will receive a price drop and revision later this.

我是广州人

TheMisterManGuy said:

They still have stuff like a new Star Fox, ARMS 2, any 1-2 Switch-esque party games, more Mario Sports, Diamond and Pearl Remakes, Bayo 3, and perhaps more New IP and co-productions with other developers. Nintendo isn't like a tank that can only use a set number of franchises and that's it. There's plenty of avenues they can take for future Switch software.

Star Fox ? Not in development ... 

ARMS 2 ? One and done ... 

1-2 Switch ? Ditto ... 

Mario Sports ? The main spin-offs are it's Tennis games which is already here and that Sonic crossover which will be out by the end of this year ... 

Pokemon remakes ? Who really cares about those ? 

Bayonetta 3 ? PlatinumGames are irrelevant in terms of system selling power ... 

Actually, Nintendo pretty much is becoming a tank that can only use a set number of franchises and the same applies to nearly every big publisher out there. There's no way Nintendo can keep realistically churning out new block buster AAA titles at every turn throughout the entire generation to push hardware like you seem to imply ... 

It's probably for the best that Nintendo kills off any ideas of developing new AAA games for the Switch by the end of 2020 and start focusing on a potential next generation successor because that's just HOW LONG a game's development pipeline is getting ... 

1-2 Switch ? Ditto ... 

Mario Sports ? The main spin-offs are it's Tennis games which is already here and that Sonic crossover which will be out by the end of this year ... 

It was successful enough to get a sequel.

Actually, Nintendo pretty much is becoming a tank that can only use a set number of franchises and the same applies to nearly every big publisher out there. There's no way Nintendo can keep realistically churning out new block buster AAA titles at every turn throughout the entire generation to push hardware like you seem to imply ... 

Of course they can't. That's why they have other avenues to take regarding future Switch games. Digital titles, New IP, Co-Productions. TBH, Nintendo doesn't really make that many AAA games to begin with. They're closer to a Mid-tier developer anyway.

It's probably for the best that Nintendo kills off any ideas of developing new AAA games for the Switch by the end of 2020 and start focusing on a potential next generation successor because that's just HOW LONG a game's development pipeline is getting ... 

And again, AAA games aren't the only ones that Nintendo makes.

TheMisterManGuy said:

1-2 Switch ? Ditto ... 

It was successful enough to get a sequel.

Of course they can't. That's why they have other avenues to take regarding future Switch games. Digital titles, New IP, Co-Productions. TBH, Nintendo doesn't really make that many AAA games to begin with. They're closer to a Mid-tier developer anyway.

And again, AAA games aren't the only ones that Nintendo makes.

Yeah they're the platform holder who are the least reliant on AAA releases so that point makes little sense tbh we know a Pokemon remake outsells the majority of AAA titles so that's who cares for them especially if you took any older title and remade it like SW/SH so that's another bizarre argument from him, if we look at the possible titles for 2020 beyond the's a good chance a future year could be the peak year.