By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - DoE Rebrands Fossil Fuels to "Freedom Gas" - Not Satire

KLAMarine said:
Pemalite said:

He doesn't need to.

Trump has officials that he promotes and supports directly underneath him to push his and his parties stance on various topics of interest.
The Republicans tend to love hydrocarbons far more than the democrats as far as I can tell. (I am Australian, so I don't follow US politics with a microscope level of focus.)

Okay, show me the exact moment Trump concocted the renaming to "freedom gas" and "molecules of US freedom".

I didn't assert that he did.... And it's besides the point anyway.
The point you seem to miss is that he appointed the people that did, who in turn follow trumps and the republican party guideline and stance on these kinds of issues... And thus Trump is partly to blame.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
KLAMarine said:

So is the matching of tone and phrasing coincidental or deliberate?

While we can't be certain, it's more likely to be deliberate. A coincidence is a stretch given how out of character such verbiage is for the DoE and how 2 different people spoke very similarly to Trump on the same day.  I'd bet money it was coordinated between the two authors. 

"A coincidence is a stretch given how out of character such verbiage is for the DoE"

>Surely, like any other breathing human beings, DoE's employees have a sense of humor. They can entertain silly, temporary "rebrandings".

"and how 2 different people spoke very similarly to Trump on the same day."

>Spoke to Trump same day? What are you referring to?

Pemalite said:
KLAMarine said:

Okay, show me the exact moment Trump concocted the renaming to "freedom gas" and "molecules of US freedom".

I didn't assert that he did.... And it's besides the point anyway.
The point you seem to miss is that he appointed the people that did, who in turn follow trumps and the republican party guideline and stance on these kinds of issues... And thus Trump is partly to blame.

So what part of Trump's/Republican Party's guidelines dictate "freedom gas" and "molecules of US freedom" are new names for fossil fuels? Can I read up on it on GOP's website?

SpokenTruth said:
KLAMarine said:

"A coincidence is a stretch given how out of character such verbiage is for the DoE"

>Surely, like any other breathing human beings, DoE's employees have a sense of humor. They can entertain silly, temporary "rebrandings".

"and how 2 different people spoke very similarly to Trump on the same day."

>Spoke to Trump same day? What are you referring to?

Not spoke to Trump on the same day but spoke similarly to Trump (as in used his brand of verbiage) on the same day.  What are the odds that two high level DoE executives would use 'freedom' as a descriptor for natural gas and hydrocarbons on the same day?

Not terribly high but it wasn't a member of DoE that used "freedom gas" first, it was a reporter per Slate.

SpokenTruth said:
KLAMarine said:

Not terribly high but it wasn't a member of DoE that used "freedom gas" first, it was a reporter per Slate.

Lol.  Are you aware that this is my thread?  I quoted them directly from their own Press Release.

Advances commitment to U.S. jobs, economic growth, clean energy

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) advanced its commitment to promoting clean energy, job creation, and economic growth by approving additional exports of domestically produced natural gas from the Freeport LNG Terminal located on Quintana Island, Texas. The announcement was made at the Tenth Clean Energy Ministerial (CEM10) in Vancouver, Canada where DOE is highlighting its efforts to advance clean energy. The expansion of the Freeport LNG facility is estimated to support up to 3,000 engineering and construction jobs and hundreds of indirect jobs associated with the project.

“Increasing export capacity from the Freeport LNG project is critical to spreading freedom gas throughout the world by giving America’s allies a diverse and affordable source of clean energy. Further, more exports of U.S. LNG to the world means more U.S. jobs and more domestic economic growth and cleaner air here at home and around the globe,” said U.S. Under Secretary of Energy Mark W. Menezes, who highlighted the approval at the Clean Energy Ministerial in Vancouver, Canada. “There’s no doubt today’s announcement furthers this Administration’s commitment to promoting energy security and diversity worldwide.”

“Approval of additional LNG exports from Freeport LNG furthers this Administration’s commitment to promoting American energy, American jobs, and the American economy. Further, increased supplies of U.S. natural gas on the world market are critical to advancing clean energy and the energy security of our allies around the globe. With the U.S. in another year of record-setting natural gas production, I am pleased that the Department of Energy is doing what it can to promote an efficient regulatory system that allows for molecules of U.S. freedom to be exported to the world,” said Assistant Secretary for Fossil Energy Steven Winberg, who signed the export order and was also in attendance at the Clean Energy Ministerial.

Under the order signed today, Freeport LNG Expansion, L.P. and FLNG Liquefaction 4, LLC (together, FLEX4) have authority to export up to 0.72 billion cubic feet per day of natural gas as LNG from a fourth liquefaction train (Train 4) to be built at the Freeport LNG Terminal.  FLEX4 is authorized to export this LNG to any country that does not have a free trade agreement (FTA) with the United States, and with which trade is not prohibited under U.S. law or policy. The U.S. Government does not issue LNG licenses to purchasers of LNG but rather issues export authorizations to exporters of LNG, such as Freeport LNG. The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) authorized FLEX4 to site, construct, and operate Train 4 on May 17, 2019.

Prior to today’s announcement, Freeport LNG Expansion, L.P. and other Freeport entities had received approval to export LNG from the first three liquefaction trains at the Terminal. The first liquefaction train is expected to begin commercial exports later this year. Increased natural gas production in the United States continues to enhance global energy security while stimulating domestic economic development and job creation.  U.S. LNG export capacity, currently at 5 billion cubic feet per day, is set to double by the end of 2020.  The U.S. Energy Information Administration expects a continued increase in domestic natural gas production, with an average dry natural gas production rate of 90.3 Bcf/d in 2019 and 92.2 Bcf/d in 2020, both new records.

###

News Media Contact: (202) 586-4940

Yes but you decided to leave bits out initially for whatever reason:

KLAMarine said:
SpokenTruth said:

You can't make this stuff up.  I wish this were an Onion story but it's not and it's...I don't even know what it is.

The US Department of Energy has "rebranded" the terms fossil fuels and natural gas.

"Increasing export capacity from the Freeport [liquid natural gas] project is critical to spreading freedom gas"
- U.S. Undersecretary of Energy Mark W. Menezes.

“With the US in another year of record-setting natural gas production, I am pleased that the Department of Energy is doing what it can to promote an efficient regulatory system that allows for molecules of US freedom to be exported to the world,”
-US Assistant Secretary for Fossil Energy Steven Winberg.

Now let's include the rest of the quotes:

"Increasing export capacity from the Freeport LNG project is critical to spreading freedom gas throughout the world by giving America’s allies a diverse and affordable source of clean energy. Further, more exports of U.S. LNG to the world means more U.S. jobs and more domestic economic growth and cleaner air here at home and around the globe,” said U.S. Under Secretary of Energy Mark W. Menezes, who highlighted the approval at the Clean Energy Ministerial in Vancouver, Canada. “There’s no doubt today’s announcement furthers this Administration’s commitment to promoting energy security and diversity worldwide."

"Approval of additional LNG exports from Freeport LNG furthers this Administration’s commitment to promoting American energy, American jobs, and the American economy. Further, increased supplies of U.S. natural gas on the world market are critical to advancing clean energy and the energy security of our allies around the globe. With the U.S. in another year of record-setting natural gas production, I am pleased that the Department of Energy is doing what it can to promote an efficient regulatory system that allows for molecules of U.S. freedom to be exported to the world,"

https://www.energy.gov/articles/department-energy-authorizes-additional-lng-exports-freeport-lng

I feel there's a context that has been removed in your original quotations.

From Slate: "Freedom gas. It appears that turn of phrase originated earlier this month, when Secretary of Energy Rick Perry signed an order aimed at doubling U.S. liquefied natural gas shipments to Europe. At a press briefing in Brussels, he explained that the move would help European nations diversify their energy supply away from Russia, the region’s major supplier of gas. “The United States is again delivering a form of freedom to the European continent,” he said. “And rather than in the form of young American soldiers, it’s in the form of liquefied natural gas.” Afterward, a cheeky reporter from EURACTIV asked whether “freedom gas” would be a correct way to describe the new fuel shipments. “I think you may be correct in your observation,” an apparently inspired Perry responded."

And the Slate link you provided attests to a "reporter from EURACTIV" being responsible for the “freedom gas” moniker.

KLAMarine said:

sethnintendo said:

Guy is so dumb on history prob doesnt even realize Russia fought the Germans more than any country.  Sure we helped them with lend lease program but they took brunt of assault and casualties of Germany.  USA (my country) merely stepped into war at end.  Now talk about Japan....  We kicked their fucking ass.

Not just Russia but the USSR fought Nazi Germany as did Britain and the US. D-Day landings were conducted mainly by British, US, and Canadian forces.

You wanna talk history?

You are aware that Russia and USSR are basically the same thing?  Sure they were called USSR / Soviet Union because it was union of multiple Soviet states.  However, Russia and USSR are pretty much interchangeable and historians often refer to it just as Russia when talking about the USSR during WW2.  So you are semi correct stating not just Russia but entire USSR (Ukraine, etc) fought the Germans but it just looks awkward used in your sentence since they were basically the same thing.  Also, not everyone within the USSR liked Russia such as some Cossacks in Ukraine defected to the German side yet the majority still didn't join the Germans even though they hated the Russians from past grievances.

My main point was Russia (USSR) took the brunt of the fighting and if Hitler didn't invade Russia or waited another year or two where he could ensure the campaign would end before winter or least be prepared for winter then it would have been a different story.  It was only till after the Soviets turned the Germans on their heels did we even think about preforming D Day invasions.  USA, Britain, Canada and others lost a lot of life fighting the Nazis however the death toll between Germany and Russia makes that fighting look very tiny in comparison.

"More Soviet citizens died during World War II than those of all other countries combined. Nazi ideology considered Slavs to be "subhuman" and German forces committed ethnically targeted mass murder. Civilians were rounded up and burned alive or shot in squads in many cities conquered by the Nazis, around 27 million civilians and military personal perished during the war

8 million Red Army troops died facing the Germans and their allies in the Eastern Front. The Axis forces themselves had lost over 6 million troops, whether by combat or by wounds, disease, starvation or exposure; many others were seized as POWs and a substantial part of them died in Soviet captivity because of disease or shortage of supplies.

Lend-Lease supplies from the United Kingdom and the United States made very important impact for Soviet military forces. Supply convoys sailed to Soviet ports that were patrolled by Nazi U-boats. Allied activities before D-Day may have tied up only a few divisions in actual fighting, but many more were forced to guard lonely coasts against raids that never came or to man anti-aircraft guns throughout Nazi-controlled Europe."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_theatre_of_World_War_II

So basically if Germany defeated the Russians or never invaded Russia then the D Day landings would have never happened or would have failed.  Hitler was a terrible commander and he kept centralizing all decisions through him especially towards the end of the war (another reason why D Day landings succeeded because they were too afraid to awake Hitler and the Panzer divisions were held back which could have crushed the beach landings and pushed the allies back into the English Channel) which only led to more military defeats.  He became hot headed with early military victories (Manstein's plan was actually reason why France fell so easily) thinking he was some great leader when he pretty much borrowed most plans from commanders and at the end of the war he was for most part ignoring the generals while making them come up with plans for his fantasies.

Last edited by sethnintendo - on 05 June 2019

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:
KLAMarine said:

Not just Russia but the USSR fought Nazi Germany as did Britain and the US. D-Day landings were conducted mainly by British, US, and Canadian forces.

You wanna talk history?

You are aware that Russia and USSR are basically the same thing?  Sure they were called USSR / Soviet Union because it was union of multiple Soviet states.  However, Russia and USSR are pretty much interchangeable and historians often refer to it just as Russia when talking about the USSR during WW2.  So you are semi correct stating not just Russia but entire USSR (Ukraine, etc) fought the Germans but it just looks awkward used in your sentence since they were basically the same thing.  Also, not everyone within the USSR liked Russia such as some Cossacks in Ukraine defected to the German side yet the majority still didn't join the Germans even though they hated the Russians from past grievances.

My main point was Russia (USSR) took the brunt of the fighting and if Hitler didn't invade Russia or waited another year or two where he could ensure the campaign would end before winter or least be prepared for winter then it would have been a different story.  It was only till after the Soviets turned the Germans on their heels did we even think about preforming D Day invasions.  USA, Britain, Canada and others lost a lot of life fighting the Nazis however the death toll between Germany and Russia makes that fighting look very tiny in comparison.

"More Soviet citizens died during World War II than those of all other countries combined. Nazi ideology considered Slavs to be "subhuman" and German forces committed ethnically targeted mass murder. Civilians were rounded up and burned alive or shot in squads in many cities conquered by the Nazis, around 27 million civilians and military personal perished during the war

8 million Red Army troops died facing the Germans and their allies in the Eastern Front. The Axis forces themselves had lost over 6 million troops, whether by combat or by wounds, disease, starvation or exposure; many others were seized as POWs and a substantial part of them died in Soviet captivity because of disease or shortage of supplies.

Lend-Lease supplies from the United Kingdom and the United States made very important impact for Soviet military forces. Supply convoys sailed to Soviet ports that were patrolled by Nazi U-boats. Allied activities before D-Day may have tied up only a few divisions in actual fighting, but many more were forced to guard lonely coasts against raids that never came or to man anti-aircraft guns throughout Nazi-controlled Europe."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_theatre_of_World_War_II

So basically if Germany defeated the Russians or never invaded Russia then the D Day landings would have never happened or would have failed.  Hitler was a terrible commander and he kept centralizing all decisions through him especially towards the end of the war (another reason why D Day landings succeeded because they were too afraid to awake Hitler and the Panzer divisions were held back which could have crushed the beach landings and pushed the allies back into the English Channel) which only led to more military defeats.  He became hot headed with early military victories (Manstein's plan was actually reason why France fell so easily) thinking he was some great leader when he pretty much borrowed most plans from commanders and at the end of the war he was for most part ignoring the generals while making them come up with plans for his fantasies.

"You are aware that Russia and USSR are basically the same thing?  Sure they were called USSR / Soviet Union because it was union of multiple Soviet states.  However, Russia and USSR are pretty much interchangeable and historians often refer to it just as Russia when talking about the USSR during WW2."

>Some treat them as interchangeable, I do not. USSR and Russia are distinct entities to me.

SpokenTruth said:
KLAMarine said:

Yes but you decided to leave bits out initially for whatever reason:

And the Slate link you provided attests to a "reporter from EURACTIV" being responsible for the “freedom gas” moniker.

And did you notice that is irrelevant?  Doesn't matter if a EURACTIV reporter or Borat said it first, the DoE used it in an official press release with direct quotes from 2 top level executives. 

Further, I guarantee you that the phrase "freedom gas" was probably used many times in the past by a 'cheeky' reporter or protestor or even a forum poster.  The fact is the DoE used it...officially.

Indeed, "freedom gas" and "molecules of US freedom" were used but has the DoE officially adopted these names? I can't help but notice that "natural gas" occurs seven times in DoE's press release ( https://www.energy.gov/articles/department-energy-authorizes-additional-lng-exports-freeport-lng ) while "freedom gas" and "molecules of US freedom" are only used once each time and they were both within quotes.

Doesn't look like there's been any permanent adoption.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
How about a freedom President instead of one who releases freedom gasses every time he opens his mouth?

_________

Is the original name of the freedom gas that you mention just now called Covfefe? I am wondering.

S.Peelman said:
“Molecules of US freedom”? Lol. Just for that I hope Europe keeps importing Russian gas.

Same. Not to mention, all US shale operates at loss, they spend more than what they can earn with the oil they get. They need like 100+ dollars a barrel turn it a profit, according to some estimates.

Europe is not that retarded yet, Russian gas is way cheaper than US can ever provide.

Does this mean it's free?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.