By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Death Stranding Releasing November 8th - New Trailer Just Streamed

potato_hamster said:
Zoombael said:

You're convinced the answer to the question is fully disclosed. I'm not.

Opinionshminion. A six year old might think Knack is the best game ever. Doesn't change the fact that it is mediocre.

I gotta say. Odyssey is actually as pretty solid game. I'm not super far into it yet but I'm finding it pretty enjoyable, more than I have for any Assassin's Creed game between ACII and the present. Maybe it's because I started playing it six months after release but I haven't encountered a frustrating bug yet. I don't see why anyone would think its "far from being a great game". It appears to do what it intends to do pretty welll so far.

My thought is, remember Odyssey was released in the same time slot with RDR2? I played the latter first and started my journey in Odyssey right after, it turned the first hours in Odyssey was just so painful in all aspects, the comparison was like day and night, but then I still platinumed Odyssey, so I can say yeah it's enjoyable, but it's just not great.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:

I'm a Character Artist of eight years. I work with a lot of tech long before it makes it to games (mainly portrait/still life, as I don't dabble in animation anymore), but.....

...what this man has achieved has completely floored me. Not that these characters are the best I've seen (far from it in my line of work), but on consoles? I'm speechless that there are things like this in motion on a box far less powerful than the most high-specked thing I own.

Can we be hopeful that we'll not face downgrading when it comes out?

AbbathTheGrim said:
I am sorry but this game looks subpar compared to Metal Gear Survive. It is obvious now that the magic of Metal Gear was in Konami all along and not in Kojima.

Absolutely. Sony should cancel it.

pitzy272 said:
So as much as I trust Kojima after his decades of remarkable game making, I do have a fear that DS could be something less than stellar. I think it’s more of a paranoia. But either way, that November 8th release date exemplifies a hell of a large amount of confidence on Sony’s end for this game. November is reserved only for the biggest games in the world (e.g. CoD, Battlefield, RDR2). And if I recall correctly, Sony hasn’t released an exclusive game in November, or even October, this gen or last gen.

I bet the heads at Playstation are playing this game and they're seeing what we're not.

HollyGamer said:
Ok Sony just won E3 without going to E3 and also by giving more confusing mind blowing trailer . Btw it's Youtube trending . Amazing

It'd still be brilliant to see this trailer at E3 with some Kojima appearing like rock star, saying "I love Playstation. Playstation loves me.".

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Kai_Mao said:
I’m probably in the minority on this...but this trailer didn’t really excite me. It got me interested but it’s already at a point where I’ll have to wait and see from the reviews. I have not played a lot of Kojima’s games but I have some understanding of his game philosophies.

The graphics are pretty astounding. Pretty cool seeing the actors look as they are in real life.

The story is more confusing than ever. Will I eventually understand when I play the game? I’m not sure...I guess that doesn’t matter in some sense, but I don’t really see where this is going.

The gameplay looks..mediocre. Part of a video game is being able to play the game. The combat looks like Uncharted..and not in a good way. It looks kinda clunky and stiff. Maybe it’ll change..I don’t know.

As for it being open world...I hope it’ll intrigue me as Breath of the Wild did. Whenever I explored Hyrule, I always look forward to the unknown and part of that was the gameplay mechanics that allowed me to be creative and discover nukes and crannies that surprise me. I worry that DS’s gameplay might not be as effective if it’s going the open world route.

If you’re all excited, cool beans. I’m keeping an eye on this game. Just not sure what to really think of it at this time.

I'd say that we haven't seen enough gameplay to confidently judge it.

taus90 said:
pitzy272 said:

I thought it had to take at least 4 years. It taking only 3 actually worries me a bit. If this game is big like MGS5, then I will not understand how the hell Kojima made it this quickly. 

RE:  the trailer, I loved it! This got me hyped all over again. I’m relieved to see combat and guns in there. I think most of us were a bit concerned after their E3 2018 demo. 

Yeah I have those concerns too.. 3 years is usually taken by sequels, considering they already have engine in place from the first game. 5 years is minimum for a New IP as initial years are spent on building engine for their specific task. So I will give benefit of doubt to KP as they were handed over a robust decima engine which they retooled for DS. Also its Kojima that guy wont release a game untill and unless his vision for the game is met.. he is the last guy to rush development to meet dead lines. 

I guess Kojima's been working on this since MGS5 days. He had the vision, the story and idea. He just had to find the team and the engine to do it.

KazumaKiryu said:
Pre-ordered it today :)

I'm doing the same today.

twintail said:
Xxain said:

We saw traversal... You mean like in every other open world game? Or game period? So based on that traversal trailer, which was non unique, and combined with the fact while still at Konami he stressed multiple times that he was tired of Metal Gear, and on top of that he stressed multiples that Death Stranding would be something new, that was dead giveaway that it would be based on MGSV? 

So the traversal, from every open world game as you say, wasn't a sign to you that there was going to be a traditional nature to the gameplay?

And just because he wanted out of MG doesn't mean he wants out of the gameplay loop of the series. And just because DS is something new doesn't mean that it is now 100% dissimilar from his previous work. 

I said you (as in ppl in general not actually you yourself) could have guessed what the gameplay might have been like, so you (yes you) don't need to take it so personally. 

Here, interview back in 2017 to help you out:

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/02/23/the-hideo-kojima-death-stranding-interview-strands-decima-and-guerrilla-games/

What type of game will Death Stranding be?

You can think of Death Stranding as an action game. Many people play games in the shooting genre and I want to make a game that is very intuitive for them so they can get into the experience very easily, but when they play it for a bit they will realise there is a certain new type of depth to it, something that they might not have seen before.

Can you tell us more about the gameplay?

I can’t really speak on that right now but in a word, it’s an action game – an open world game, with a lot of freedom. You have a lot of freedom of choice to do what you want to do and you can get in vehicles and so on. If you are a fighter, there’s plenty of opportunity for that. If you’re not that type of player, there are other ways to play this game. 

The website says Cinematic Adventure tho.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

0D0 said:
Kai_Mao said:
I’m probably in the minority on this...but this trailer didn’t really excite me. It got me interested but it’s already at a point where I’ll have to wait and see from the reviews. I have not played a lot of Kojima’s games but I have some understanding of his game philosophies.

The graphics are pretty astounding. Pretty cool seeing the actors look as they are in real life.

The story is more confusing than ever. Will I eventually understand when I play the game? I’m not sure...I guess that doesn’t matter in some sense, but I don’t really see where this is going.

The gameplay looks..mediocre. Part of a video game is being able to play the game. The combat looks like Uncharted..and not in a good way. It looks kinda clunky and stiff. Maybe it’ll change..I don’t know.

As for it being open world...I hope it’ll intrigue me as Breath of the Wild did. Whenever I explored Hyrule, I always look forward to the unknown and part of that was the gameplay mechanics that allowed me to be creative and discover nukes and crannies that surprise me. I worry that DS’s gameplay might not be as effective if it’s going the open world route.

If you’re all excited, cool beans. I’m keeping an eye on this game. Just not sure what to really think of it at this time.

taus90 said:

Yeah I have those concerns too.. 3 years is usually taken by sequels, considering they already have engine in place from the first game. 5 years is minimum for a New IP as initial years are spent on building engine for their specific task. So I will give benefit of doubt to KP as they were handed over a robust decima engine which they retooled for DS. Also its Kojima that guy wont release a game untill and unless his vision for the game is met.. he is the last guy to rush development to meet dead lines. 

I guess Kojima's been working on this since MGS5 days. He had the vision, the story and idea. He just had to find the team and the engine to do it.

KazumaKiryu said:
Pre-ordered it today :)

I'm doing the same today.

twintail said:

So the traversal, from every open world game as you say, wasn't a sign to you that there was going to be a traditional nature to the gameplay?

And just because he wanted out of MG doesn't mean he wants out of the gameplay loop of the series. And just because DS is something new doesn't mean that it is now 100% dissimilar from his previous work. 

I said you (as in ppl in general not actually you yourself) could have guessed what the gameplay might have been like, so you (yes you) don't need to take it so personally. 

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/02/23/the-hideo-kojima-death-stranding-interview-strands-decima-and-guerrilla-games/

You can think of Death Stranding as an action game. Many people play games in the shooting genre and I want to make a game that is very intuitive for them so they can get into the experience very easily, but when they play it for a bit they will realise there is a certain new type of depth to it, something that they might not have seen before.

I can’t really speak on that right now but in a word, it’s an action game – an open world game, with a lot of freedom. You have a lot of freedom of choice to do what you want to do and you can get in vehicles and so on. If you are a fighter, there’s plenty of opportunity for that. If you’re not that type of player, there are other ways to play this game. 

The website says Cinematic Adventure tho.

The funny stuff is that in a 3-4 year period he formed the studio, searched for the engine, tweaked it and made a big and possibly great game. While most studios with bigger team, more time and engine ready wouldn't reach as high.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

0D0 said:
Kai_Mao said:

Fair, but even the little bits of it didn't spell confidence for me. The little bit didn't really pop for me, at least enough to think, "I really want to PLAY this game."

My gaming needs are different, like any consumer. I like some gameplay that intrigues or give me an idea of how I can interact with the game. Games like Xenoblade, Mario, Zelda, Gears of War (at least the one I played), Batman Arkham, Mass Effect (the original trilogy), and Sonic (at least the decent ones) provided gameplay that kept me engaged.

Around the Network
twintail said:
Xxain said:

We saw traversal... You mean like in every other open world game? Or game period? So based on that traversal trailer, which was non unique, and combined with the fact while still at Konami he stressed multiple times that he was tired of Metal Gear, and on top of that he stressed multiples that Death Stranding would be something new, that was dead giveaway that it would be based on MGSV? 

I'm not taking anything personally; just wondering how the hell you magically knew it was going to be like Metal Gear Solid V and why you waited till AFTER we get the game play reveal not before to tell us. We have had more than enough threads about Death Stranding and the lack of knowing how it play effecting the anticipation level for game and Never once did you enlighten us in any of those threads. Those quotes speak of it being an action game, and it possible having shooting not, but does not equate to "Oh!, he's using Metal Gear Solid V as a template!". It could been something like Uncharted, like GTA. This is not a question of it being an action game but something derived from Metal Gear Solid specifically. Then I bring up again; If it was really that obvious why in the hell is global opinion about Death Stranding up till now, "Looks great!, how does it play?". 

Oops, I made a mistake while quoting, my bad.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Hiku said:

@AbbathTheGrim There's some info of the online aspect here:

Oh, there was a scene in the trailer, a gameplay scene, where you see the character stumble into a transparent yellow box hanging in the air:

https://youtu.be/piIgkJWDuQg?t=161

Could that yellow light going across the field be the person playing "scanning" for stuff other gamers have left behind and perhaps that yellow box is something the player found or is leaving behind for someone?

I read the info on the online component you posted and it sounds cool, but a part of me wishes that all that online stuff is optional and that we will be able to play the game offline. This trailer has me so hyped that I am planning on replaying the MGS games after I finish DMC5 and the Resident Evil games and the idea of replaying those games makes me reflect on the importance of games not being tied to an online component that may have an expiration date, an expiration date that may prevent us from revisiting those games again or future gamers from experiencing these games in the future.

Also the exploration side to the gameplay, I wonder if it will be something in-depth like playing Ico, solving puzzles to be able to move forward, puzzles that may get some players stuck, or if traverse will be pretty straight forward where you just have to spawn a tool you know you need to use to make a way forward in easy and obvious to solve circumstances.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

0D0 said:
Kai_Mao said:

taus90 said:

Thats exactly what I was thinking. Nothing else would make sense for how quickly he got this all done. I think this has been Kojima’s side project when not on the clock at the Konami building for years.

Idk how Japan works, but in America, Konami would likely try to go after Kojima to see if he ever worked on DS while on—or with—Konami property.

I want DS and GoT !!!!!!