By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Witcher 3 revealed for the Switch!

Actually, there's a way to maintain 30fps: The Witcher 3 Pocket Edition

Around the Network

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Game of the Year on SHIELD

Edit:

youtube link

forums.geforce.com The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Game of the Year on SHIELD

Last edited by Werix357 - on 28 May 2019

Werix357 said:

Um, this is streaming, not run natively on Shield. But yeah, if it's streaming, Switch is more than enough to handle it

Nuvendil said:
curl-6 said:

I'm a big believer in the Switch being more capable than a lot of people think, but I just can't see it possibly handling a realtime version of Witcher 3, a demanding 8th gen open world game that can't hold 30fps even on PS4. This is like expecting the Vita to run Red Dead Redemption 1.

It isn't quite that extreme, but it would be a massive undertaking.  It would require a lot more work than what Panic Button and the like usually do.  It would need actual asset rework going beyond texture resolution.  If you look at Dragon Quest XI S, you can see kind of an example of what would be needed.  The Switch version features a lot of newly created versions of various assets.  Of course, that doesn't address the CPU issues, which is the real challenge for an open world in the style of Witcher 3.  Which is where the game might be able to juuuuust about almost get by on the GPD Win 2 despite the glaring GPU deficiencies vs the Switch.

Yeah I guess what I should've said was not so much that it's flat-out impossible, more that it would take such an extensive reworking of the game's technical makeup that I can't see a third party investing that much resources into a Switch port. You couldn't just turn down the settings like with Doom or Wolfenstein II or Hellblade.

HoangNhatAnh said:
Werix357 said:

Um, this is streaming, not run natively on Shield. But yeah, if it's streaming, Switch is more than enough to handle it

thanks I didn't read that

Around the Network
Lryu222 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4sG21EKGxw

Witcher 3 Switch footage.

You don't really believe Switch can handle that amount of resolution, lighting and shadows, all at the same time.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:
Nuvendil said:
That would be...unexpected for sure.

However, I notice these are all Japanese. So my first thought is...well my first thought is elaborate fake. But my second thought is, it will be a streamed game.

Can't you read chinese ?

They use simple kanji.

*simplified ;)

When DOOM and Wolfenstein were announced many people couldn't believe it. But then they said: "Well, those are 1080p 60fps games. Of course they can run on Switch if you cut the framerate and resolution in half. But there's no way a 1080p 30fps game with very intensive graphics could make it to the Switch.

Then Hellblade was announced. Once again, many people were shocked. But then they said: "Well, it's a very linear game. Of course it runs on the Switch. But there's no way it could run an open world game like The Witcher 3".

So... at this point I'm just waiting for history to repeat yet again.

cloud version is possible. Everything else isn't really.
The Witcher 3 has parts in it where the framerate can drop a lot. This will never run at 720p with 30 FPS. Unless you absolutely butcher the other graphics settings.

Vodacixi said:
When DOOM and Wolfenstein were announced many people couldn't believe it. But then they said: "Well, those are 1080p 60fps games. Of course they can run on Switch if you cut the framerate and resolution in half. But there's no way a 1080p 30fps game with very intensive graphics could make it to the Switch.

Then Hellblade was announced. Once again, many people were shocked. But then they said: "Well, it's a very linear game. Of course it runs on the Switch. But there's no way it could run an open world game like The Witcher 3".

So... at this point I'm just waiting for history to repeat yet again.

Tbf, even base ps4/xbox 1 struggled to keep 30fps, Switch ver could be 20fps dock and 10 - 15fps undock. Unless it is The Witcher 3 Pocket Edition for Switch then, yeah, definitely 30fps lock