By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Witcher 3 revealed for the Switch!

Pinkie_pie said:
Shaunodon said:

People who alrealdy possess another system and the time to sit at home and play through the game aren't their target market. Not sure why this isn't widely understood by now.

Just because you can play it in portable doesnt mean it should cost twice as much as the home version. If thats the case then every switch port should cost twice as much as the home console version? Witcher 3 is over 4 year old and since you can get it for $30 or less on all other systems it shouldnt be $60 when it releases on the switch 

It is a new game for Nintendo fans. And a 16GB cart is more expensive than a 50GB blu-ray disc. This game use 32GB cart 

Around the Network

already own this on ps4 started a second playthrough couple weeks ago on my ps4pro and I am still buying this on switch no questions I absolutely love this game

HoloDust said:
KLAMarine said:

Holy smokes, this art style is right up my alley! Looking good!

This is reminiscent of TW3 concept art...personally, while I find the game looking quite good on Ultra, I was bit dissapointed initially that it's not leaning toward its concept art. But that's just my personal preference, I tend to lean toward stylized realism when it comes to art styles in games.

I'm the same way: 9 times out of 10, I'll pick art style over realism.

Shaunodon said:
Pinkie_pie said:

Just because you can play it in portable doesnt mean it should cost twice as much as the home version. If thats the case then every switch port should cost twice as much as the home console version? Witcher 3 is over 4 year old and since you can get it for $30 or less on all other systems it shouldnt be $60 when it releases on the switch 

There is no 'home version'; there's a copy that you can buy for Switch and copies you can buy for other systems. As you mentioned, The Witcher 3 is a 4 year old game, so the people who'll likely buy it on Switch won't own another system and had the time to play through it all at home. So whatever it costs on other systems doesn't mean anything.

I own a PS4 - but not Witcher 3. If I'm getting a high quality, 100 hr+ game either way - the cost doesn't matter so much to me.

I'm interested in the Switch version as I get more gaming time on Switch than on PS4.

If Witcher 3 is a port like WWE2K18 or Ark, I'm not gonna bother with it. I'm counting on something substantially better than that though.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Shaqazooloo0 said:
I'll buy it when it comes out. I hope it's in December, because i'm gonna be busy with all the other games coming out this year.

Yeah, with so many Switch games that I want packed into the second half of 2019, I hope this doesn't overlap with something like Luigi's Mansion 3 or Doom Eternal,

Pinkie_pie said:
Shaunodon said:

People who alrealdy possess another system and the time to sit at home and play through the game aren't their target market. Not sure why this isn't widely understood by now.

Normally I'd agree that a port of a years-old game on Switch shouldn't be full price, but if they are indeed doing the decent thing and using the almost mythical 32GB cart then they need to make sure they have a viable profit margin.

fleischr said:

If Witcher 3 is a port like WWE2K18 or Ark, I'm not gonna bother with it. I'm counting on something substantially better than that though.

I doubt this will be another Ark/WWE situation. The way they are presenting it, particularly in openly showing direct feed Switch screens and footage from the get go, suggests they are proud of their work. Plus, given CDPR's reputation, I doubt they'd want their 250-GOTY-awards-winning game to be tainted by association with an awful port job.

SKMBlake said:
curl-6 said:

It won't be the prettiest game on Switch, just as, say, the COD ports on Wii weren't that system's prettiest games.

COD games on Wii weren't even the same game, that's different. We're talking about Doom, Wolfenstein, Mortal Kombat, Hellblade and Warframe level of changes (and even Mortal Kombat would look way better without the 60fps but it's a great game in 60fps)

The COD games on Wii weren't entirely different games from their big brothers; the assets had to all be redone, and some features were missing, but the core design was there. 

But that actually has nothing to do with what I said.

All I said was that in both cases due to cutbacks neither were among the prettiest games on their respective hardware, which is also true of the likes of Wolfenstein II and Mortal Kombat 11 on Switch, along with virtually every other "impossible port" that has to make heavy trade-offs just to run at all.

Around the Network
HoangNhatAnh said:
Pinkie_pie said:

It is a new game for Nintendo fans. And a 16GB cart is more expensive than a 50GB blu-ray disc. This game use 32GB cart 

Memory prices have crashed down so much lately that I expect the price difference between a Blu-ray disc and a 16GB cartridge to be negligible by now, and the 32GB cartridge not much more expensive anymore. In fact, if the prices keep dropping as much as they did the last 2 years, then by 2022-2023 50GB Blu-ray discs will have to compete in price with 64GB cartridges. And this will probably be the point at which optical drives will go the way of the Dodo, safe for consoles, possibly movies/TV shows and some special uses, like archiving.

Baddman said:
already own this on ps4 started a second playthrough couple weeks ago on my ps4pro and I am still buying this on switch no questions I absolutely love this game

Yes, I also own it on PS4, definitely double dipping for the Switch version. Playing Witcher 3 whilst on holiday or visiting family etc is bliss. 

curl-6 said:

I doubt this will be another Ark/WWE situation. The way they are presenting it, particularly in openly showing direct feed Switch screens and footage from the get go, suggests they are proud of their work. Plus, given CDPR's reputation, I doubt they'd want their 250-GOTY-awards-winning game to be tainted by association with an awful port job.

Given their reputation, how much money they've made on TW3 and pretty big user base on Switch, I would've expected them to go an extra mile and make custom port with fine-tuned art that will enable for better visuals and not this run of the mill downport.

HoloDust said:
curl-6 said:

Given their reputation, how much money they've made on TW3 and pretty big user base on Switch, I would've expected them to go an extra mile and make custom port with fine-tuned art that will enable for better visuals and not this run of the mill downport.

There's nothing run-of-the-mill about getting a demanding open world game built to PS4 spec up and running on the Switch. This is a huge undertaking, by far the most ambitious conversion to the Switch to date. Yeah, building it all again with custom art would've been cool, but also crazy expensive, perhaps so much so as to not be financially viable.

curl-6 said:
HoloDust said:

There's nothing run-of-the-mill about getting a demanding open world game built to PS4 spec up and running on the Switch. This is a huge undertaking, by far the most ambitious conversion to the Switch to date. Yeah, building it all again with custom art would've been cool, but also crazy expensive, perhaps so much so as to not be financially viable.

Unfortunatelly, it is indeed run-of-the-mill downport, there's nothing in it that even suggests anything other than scalling back almost everything possible, just like in other previously lauded ports. As I previously said few times, fiddling with ini files alone (which I've done quite a bit) will gave you fairly good idea what you can do with TW3 to make it run on low specs.

As for art - they already have all the art, eveything is set in place in that world...all they would need to do is reshape it to something like in those reworked screenshots or to something different, maybe Borlderlands style, whichever...and in this day and age when mods with better qualitty assets than vanilla versions are popping all over the place for free and in world where you can find quite good artist for more than very reasonable prices, no, I don't think it would be very expensive.

But since they don't need to do it, as shown by success of other muddy and blurry Switch downports, it comes down to better ROI vs something that stands out...and they've made a choice...shitty from perspective of what this port could've been, but sound business choice.