Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 8 24.24%

Revolver 3 9.09%

The Beatles (The White Album) 7 21.21%

Abbey Road 10 30.30%

Let It Be 2 6.06%

Other 0 0%

Total:33
farlaff said:

Oh my goodness! Childish, me? Who came here and said I was posting "bullshit"? You! Who said I was "inventing" something? You. Who said I needed to "educate myself"? You. Who was behaving like a toddler that lost his/her candy? Well, take a guess.

Now you're just lying.  Your original statement was, "So, they kinda pretty much invented almost everything rock, pop and even some other genres have to offer."  Now you're changing that to, "oh, well, I meant they invented some techniques that other performers have used a lot."  No, the did not invent almost everything rock and pop have to offer, only a fool would think that.  It's a silly, ridiculous statement.

You also started the antagonism. Don't even pretend that you were being polite or respectful with your "care to explain?" comment.

Do you not realize people can see your original post?

Seriously, though, since you keep acting like you've been wronged, let's go back to the core of your argument, "So, they kinda pretty much invented almost everything rock, pop and even some other genres have to offer."  And you really don't get why I showed you Chuck Berry?  And you still say they "invented almost everything" that rock has to offer after that?

Around the Network
pokoko said:
farlaff said:

Oh my goodness! Childish, me? Who came here and said I was posting "bullshit"? You! Who said I was "inventing" something? You. Who said I needed to "educate myself"? You. Who was behaving like a toddler that lost his/her candy? Well, take a guess.

Now you're just lying.  Your original statement was, "So, they kinda pretty much invented almost everything rock, pop and even some other genres have to offer."  Now you're changing that to, "oh, well, I meant they invented some techniques that other performers have used a lot."  No, the did not invent almost everything rock and pop have to offer, only a fool would think that.  It's a silly, ridiculous statement.

You also started the antagonism. Don't even pretend that you were being polite or respectful with your "care to explain?" comment.

Do you not realize people can see your original post?

Seriously, though, since you keep acting like you've been wronged, let's go back to the core of your argument, "So, they kinda pretty much invented almost everything rock, pop and even some other genres have to offer."  And you really don't get why I showed you Chuck Berry?  And you still say they "invented almost everything" that rock has to offer after that?

Unbelievable. Still at it? You are quite a sad one. I will give a last shot: I changed nothing of what I had written. I stand by it, because it is true, whether you like it or not. Yes, Chuck Berry was a genius, nobody (at least one with a brain) disputes that. But up until the Beatles there was a formula for doing things, mainly in rock, which in itself was a variation of the blues. The Beatles showed the world, through lengthy experimentation, that rock, pop, and commercial music in general could be way more than it was up to that point. Much of the rigidity that separated camera, orchestral music from popular one was brought apart by them (with the help of George Martin) in a successful, accessible way, thus augmenting the perception of what pop music could offer. That is the reason I said they invented "almost" everything there is today in pop music and I change nothing, because it is true. They are the most important rock/pop band ever. EVERY SINGLE ONE of the most prestigious music publications have already said something around those lines, and just out of pure love for the argument, I'll leave you with a recent one:

https://hooksandharmony.com/20-reasons-beatles-greatest-ever/

Heck, by the time Sgt. Peppers came out, many compared them to classical composers of old. Some of them still do:

https://variety.com/2017/music/news/beatles-sgt-peppers-anniversary-classical-music-1202450173/

On a different note, let me say something about sentence construction. First, I was careful enough to say "almost" everything, and, mainly, I used the verb have to offer, in the "present tense", in order to show it is something that goes for the "now", for what has happened since them and their creations. Not to invalidate what came before them and its importance, and that should have been clear enough. But interpretation is free, you can think whatever you like, even if the facts are on my side.

Stop calling people liars, I had to restrict myself to not get really offended. Don't try to win arguments by attacking the opponent.

I did not antagonize you. YOU came into a Beatles thread to say questionable things that nobody asked you, without any reason whatsoever and no explanation, thus my "care to explain". It is not rudeness, it is just cheer surprise for the lack of motivation for your original post. If you thought that was offensive, than excuse me for saying this, but you really need to grow up.

And you have all the reasons to not like The Beatles but not wanting to recognize their importance to music and art as a whole, and how they shaped everything that came after them, is just as clever as negating the validity of vaccines in general: it is simply against the facts.

I think I have been reasonable enough. I was not offensive towards you as you were towards me. I simply wanted to get some good arguments and got just accused of many things in return.

I came into rock because of heavy metal. I spent years thinking Beatles were overrated until I decided to dig deep into what they had done to deserve all the praise and, guess what?, people were right and I was wrong. I got no problem in admitting that. Maybe you should too, because it might do for you the good it did for me and if I spend all this time into a meaningless debate, it is simply because I think their music is worth spreading.

I am done with this discussion.

General gamer, fanboy hater

So, on who is the best Beatle. While I have often heard that Paul Mccartney saw the most popularity, I don't think he stood the test of time the way John and George have. If you sort out what the top post-Beatles songs are, despite Paul having a vastly larger library of work, his songs don't seem to grab the ears of youtubers nearly as much (I'm assuming other platforms are similar). This is despite McCartney having more jingle-friendly tunes.

That said, my favourite Lennon songs don't score all that well either (I don't Wanna Be a Soldier, Gimme Some Truth, Mother, etc... Bit of trivia: The videogame Earthbound, also called "Mother" is named for the John Lennon song)

Here are the top 10 songs from the Beatles in their Post-Beatles efforts on youtube; basically, what's stood the test of time on this platform - and sorry, Ringo Starr didn't quite make it like the other three - surprisingly, Paul didn't make the top 10 either, his top post-Beatles song Band on the Run falls in 12th below 5 George Harrison songs and 6 John Lennon songs - this is not a knock at quality, my favourite John Lennon songs (aside from Jealous Guy) don't make the list:

1. Imagine, John Lennon - 312M (212 million + 100M, I added the two versions because they'd be #1 and #3 on the list - despite loving the message and the song, it probably doesn't rank in my top 15)

2. Stand By Me, John Lennon - 118M

3. My Sweet Lord, George Harrison - 100M (77M+23M between both versions)

4. Woman, John Lennon - 81M (To me, this shows Lennon would have been at least Elton John and George Harrison's equal in the 80s)

5. End of the Line, George Harrison - 71M

6. Got My Mind Set on You - 44M ( 30+14M between V1 and V2, My second favourite George Harrison solo song)

7. Jealous Guy, John Lennon - 35M (One of my favourite Lennon songs).

8. Handle with Care, George Harrison - 33M

9. What is Life, George Harrison - 16M (My favourite by George Harrison)

10. So this is Christmas, John Lennon - 15M

Paul McCartney's top song is Band on the Run - 13M

Last edited by Jumpin - on 05 April 2021

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.