By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game engines you especially like/don't like

I like the Frostbite engine in Battlefield And the engines for the forza series and im really exited for the slipstream engine in halo infinite because it looked more like the original halo art style and not like the "comic" sequels.

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:
Never really cared what engine a game uses. I guess I need to turn my PC master race badge in.

From an end-user perspective, a game's graphical fidelity isn't really as obviously limited by engines today as it was in the 90s.  I mean, back then, I could immediately tell when a game was made in the Doom, Build, Quake, Unreal, Lithtech, etc. engines.  They kind of all had their looks and feels.  But these days, a game's look and feel is generally determined (and limited) by the devs and artists.

CGI-Quality said:
Dulfite said:
Any engine that creates those creepy eyes that keep happening in modern games...

This isn't as much on the engine as it is on the artist(s).

Ah, my mistake.

CladInShadows said:
sethnintendo said:
Never really cared what engine a game uses. I guess I need to turn my PC master race badge in.

From an end-user perspective, a game's graphical fidelity isn't really as obviously limited by engines today as it was in the 90s.  I mean, back then, I could immediately tell when a game was made in the Doom, Build, Quake, Unreal, Lithtech, etc. engines.  They kind of all had their looks and feels.  But these days, a game's look and feel is generally determined (and limited) by the devs and artists.

Yea back in day I could tell what some games were using as engines.  Can't really tell myself anymore.

Given the excellent results achieved with Id Tech 6 I am very keen to see what Doom Eternal can pull off with the brand new Id Tech 7.

I'm surprised they're moving onto the next one so soon as 6 debuted just three years ago and has only been used on Doom 2016, Wolfenstein II, and their spinoffs. Still, it's the results that matter so if moving onto 7 means we get a better experience in Eternal (particularly on Switch as that's where I'll be buying it) then I ain't complaining.