By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - FF7Remake + Sony Exclusivity + Next Gen PS5 + Episodic Nature + Game Progress

AbbathTheGrim said:

This is something that I have been thinking about concerning the episodic approach this game will have and the fact that the next PlayStation is in the next corner.

How do you expect, think that Square will approach the release of these episodes or think would be ok for Square to address game progress (leveling up, inventory and collection of items) when these episodes are likely to jump to PS5?

A) Do you think all the episodes release both in PS4 and PS5?

B) Could this "episodes" work more as stand alone games that, once you finish them, all gained levels and inventory are gone and you start in episode 2 (for example) on level 1 all over again? How do you like that idea?

C) Maybe there are other examples out there of episodic games you think would be the best way to approach and continue progress between episodes? What would be the best approach?

D) Could there be a way to "load" your saved game from episode 1 to episode 2?

E) What is the best way for Square to address game progress between episodes? Would you care if progress is lost between episodes?

F) Will I lose all my 1/35 Soldiers after I finish an episode?

Discuss.

A) Yes as the PS5 sounds like it'll use an X86 chip I suspect they'll have very similar developer environments with transferable saves made even easier by having cloud saves. It makes no sense to only release on the one console at this point.

B) There has to be some transfer of inventory or items. The story of FFVII is fairly fixed so they can't just do a reset every game that'd actually make any sense.

C) I see two main options:

1. Level cap each episode/game. Imagine the Ep1 has a level cap of 30 and you reach it. If you start a completely new game from Ep2 you'll have a default starting level of say 25, but load your save from Ep1 and it starts at 30.
    2. Mass Effect approach which allows them to tweak the system from episode to episode, but certain elements are transferred and a certain amount of advantage to the start as a reward for playing previous Eps.

A lot of episodic games aren't RPGs where you have levels and items. Or they have a habit of forcing you to lose everything at the start of each Ep anyway which FFVII can't do as I covered above. The only 2 examples I can think of in RPGs are from Bioware in Baldurs Gate and Mass Effect trilogy which is where the two examples above come from. I'm happy with either approach as long as it's implemented with a lot of thought towards balance.

D) This is not exactly a new concept and has been around since the late 90s.

E) The save files will store all the information needed for transfer to the next game. I don't see any reason for that not to be the case.

F) I imagine they'll make it into a collectable across all three games.

Around the Network
deskpro2k3 said:

No it didn't flew over my head, I just don't respond to arguments with no supporting evidence. If you can show me where he is lying I'll take it all back.

Red Dead Redemption 2 required 8 years to develop, so If SE do as you suggest it might take as long as FFXV did, and long development cycle is something SE said they don't want to repeat again. However I think as FF7R being a bigger project, with a big budget, and a large development team, I think it's going to be a lot bigger than RDR2, because the world map is pretty much planet size.

Take this for example.

FFXIII 2009, FFXIII-2 2011, Lightning Returns FFXIII 2013. 3 parts, all released within 4 years. Now I'm speculating here, I think we can expect to see a similar pattern with FFVIIR, the thing is we don't know how much more content they're going to add.

-

Nothing you said, or statements you provided on behalf of Kitase refuted what I said.

"If you can show me where he is lying I'll take it all back."

I did, twice. 

"However I think as FF7R being a bigger project, with a big budget, and a large development team, I think it's going to be a lot bigger than RDR2, because the world map is pretty much planet size."

What? FF7 Remake a bigger project? A lot bigger than Read Dead 2?... You do realize that Red Dead 2 is literally THE BIGGEST game in terms of map sizes, content, game design, replayability and presentation right? Nobody has quantified the amount of hours that it would take to do everything in Red Dead 2, but its a bigger game than Fallout 4 and it takes a ballpark of 400 hours to do everything in that game - excluding DLC. Your assumption that FF7R, with all three episodes in mind, will be bigger than even Fallout 4 is...most likely NOT going to be the case...

I'm aware that RD2 was in development for 8 years, are you aware that FFVIIR has only been in development since 2017? Square Enix dumped all of CyberConnects work in May 2017. That's why we didn't get a damn thing for FF7's anniversary except a freaking image...

Look, I understand you're excited for this game. Kudos to you, but considering today's advancements in file and how it's stored - has no earthly reason or purpose to be split into 3 different games. Unless of course Kitase is doing damage control to save face for Square Enix's questionable approach for FF7's design philosophy. Which in my opinion; he is.

I'll endulge you for a second though. Let's just pretend that you're right, and that FF7R in it's episodic entirety is infact bigger than Red Dead 2. We'll say that all the games comes out to 140 GB. Does that change or refute anything I've previously said? No... Because all that it would mean is that they'd have to put it on three Blu-ray discs instead of one. (A Blu-ray disc holds 50GB's of data)

Do you understand?

TranceformerFX said:

Nothing you said, or statements you provided on behalf of Kitase refuted what I said.

Then this is pointless, if hard facts don't mean anything to you then this is over right now, but first read below.

TranceformerFX said:

"If you can show me where he is lying I'll take it all back."

I did, twice. 

You didn't, and not once in your entire rambling of a tantrum did you prove Kitase is lying in any of his statements about FFVIIR. Your opinions and speculations is not proof, but if you can show me proof I'll take it back.

TranceformerFX said:

What? FF7 Remake a bigger project? A lot bigger than Read Dead 2?... You do realize that Red Dead 2 is literally THE BIGGEST game in terms of map sizes, content, game design, replayability and presentation right? Nobody has quantified the amount of hours that it would take to do everything in Red Dead 2, but its a bigger game than Fallout 4 and it takes a ballpark of 400 hours to do everything in that game - excluding DLC. Your assumption that FF7R, with all three episodes in mind, will be bigger than even Fallout 4 is...most likely NOT going to be the case..."

Red Dead Redemption 2 map is around 29 square miles. The first trailer for FF7R remake said that Junon is 133 miles from Midgar, it says Kalm is 51 miles. From Marlene's window, she can see Midgar on the horizon.. Also, Midgar is a large city, once you escape Midgar you have an entire world and continents to explore with different modes of fast transport like the different colored Chocobos, Airship, The Buggy, The Tiny Bronco etc. I'm starting to question if you played the game and watched the movie..

And don't you worry about what I'm aware of. I'm the only one providing you proof and debunking your opinions with hard facts.

Last edited by deskpro2k3 - on 16 May 2019

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
deskpro2k3 said:

Red Dead Redemption 2 map is around 29 square miles. The first trailer for FF7R remake said that Junon is 133 miles from Midgar, it says Kalm is 51 miles. From Marlene's window, she can see Midgar on the horizon.. Also, Midgar is a large city, once you escape Midgar you have an entire world and continents to explore. I'm starting to question if you played the game and watched the movie..

And don't you worry about what I'm aware of. I'm the only one providing you proof and debunking your opinions with hard facts.

A 51 mile distance from Midgar to Kalm is postential 2601 mile square world area, in just that small section, making it one of the biggest game maps ever. You know what you did in the original between Midgar and Kalm? Ran in a straight line for maybe 30 seconds and may have had a random battle, may have. How padded do you think they are going to make this game if they have to do a huge empty map of nothing just to waste time going from A-B. The world map in FF7 existed for a reason, because the world outside of specific locations wasn't important and is there to get from A-B. 

I can understand what you mean by how their scope is bigger than the original game. Area's from the original game more detailed, Midgar more explorable etc is all they need. I mean, from Aerith's house to the market place was a total of 5 fixed CGI screens, so flesh it out, that's cool. I can fully understand the market being bustling with many characters to talk to. But not make a section of the map that no one cared about fully explorable just to waste our time. This is a huge waste of time and resources for them to do.

I know what you are saying but you have to admit what Kitase said was entirely PR spiel to justify why they are cutting FF7 into 3 parts and potentially sell them at £60 a piece.

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
deskpro2k3 said:

Red Dead Redemption 2 map is around 29 square miles. The first trailer for FF7R remake said that Junon is 133 miles from Midgar, it says Kalm is 51 miles. From Marlene's window, she can see Midgar on the horizon.. Also, Midgar is a large city, once you escape Midgar you have an entire world and continents to explore. I'm starting to question if you played the game and watched the movie..

A 51 mile distance from Midgar to Kalm is postential 2601 mile square world area, in just that small section, making it one of the biggest game maps ever. You know what you did in the original between Midgar and Kalm? Ran in a straight line for maybe 30 seconds and may have had a random battle, may have. How padded do you think they are going to make this game if they have to do a huge empty map of nothing just to waste time going from A-B. The world map in FF7 existed for a reason, because the world outside of specific locations wasn't important and is there to get from A-B. 

I can understand what you mean by how their scope is bigger than the original game. Area's from the original game more detailed, Midgar more explorable etc is all they need. I mean, from Aerith's house to the market place was a total of 5 fixed CGI screens, so flesh it out, that's cool. I can fully understand the market being bustling with many characters to talk to. But not make a section of the map that no one cared about fully explorable just to waste our time. This is a huge waste of time and resources for them to do.

I know what you are saying but you have to admit what Kitase said was entirely PR spiel to justify why they are cutting FF7 into 3 parts and potentially sell them at £60 a piece.

I'm not going to address everything, but I want to give an example. Star Citizen, the planets are huge, space is big yada yada etc..

From orbit to landing in 7mins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l16hywINQR0

FYI: Let me remind people, we have many forms of fast transport in FF7, even submarines. What do you expect FF7 world map to look like? SE have the opportunity to add more content in the open world. Fun fact, we also go into space in FF7, and Kitase said they want to add more sky content in the remake.

Around the Network
deskpro2k3 said:

I'm not going to address everything you just said there, but have you ever seen or played Star Citizen? the planet is huge, space is big yada yada etc..

FYI: Let me remind you, we have many forms of fast transport in FF7, even submarines. What do you expect FF7 world map to look like? you want them to not add more content in the open world? Fun fact, we also go into space in FF7. 

I expect it to be a world map. You know "Remake". If they make this world map detailed and you run around it like then fine but I don't expect to be running for 51 miles in a straight line just to get to Kalm, I can't think of anything more insignificant in the game than the journey between Midgar and Kalm. If you want that area expanded, fine but why?

We went into space in FF7 the first time, I expect nothing less from them to go into space again, it's part of the game and story. 

How's Star Citizen btw? Are you having fun playing it? I'm so glad it's finally fully released and all their promises have been kept.

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
deskpro2k3 said:

I'm not going to address everything you just said there, but have you ever seen or played Star Citizen? the planet is huge, space is big yada yada etc..

FYI: Let me remind you, we have many forms of fast transport in FF7, even submarines. What do you expect FF7 world map to look like? you want them to not add more content in the open world? Fun fact, we also go into space in FF7. 

I expect it to be a world map. You know "Remake". If they make this world map detailed and you run around it like then fine but I don't expect to be running for 51 miles in a straight line just to get to Kalm, I can't think of anything more insignificant in the game than the journey between Midgar and Kalm. If you want that area expanded, fine but why?

We went into space in FF7 the first time, I expect nothing less from them to go into space again, it's part of the game and story. 

Hey, how's Star Citizen btw? Are you having fun playing it? I'm so glad it's finally fully released and all their promises have been kept.

I just edit my first reply, I rushed cause I was watching a movie.

I'm all for more content. The main story is already set in the stone, so anything more is extra side quest and filler. Kitase said they wanted Cloud to do deliveries, and among other things that didn't make it into the game, or was scrapped completely. I will put two links below. I won't lie about this though, but my expectations is pretty high for FF7R, and I'm sure SE knows their fans expectations is high, and if it ends in failure they'll never recover from it.

https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_VII_dummied_content

https://www.thegamer.com/amazing-things-deleted-final-fantasy-7-change-everything/

Star Citizen, the current content in it is fun, but it's not fully released, it's no where near it, I say 25% done.

deskpro2k3 said:

Red Dead Redemption 2 map is around 29 square miles. The first trailer for FF7R remake said that Junon is 133 miles from Midgar, it says Kalm is 51 miles. From Marlene's window, she can see Midgar on the horizon.. Also, Midgar is a large city, once you escape Midgar you have an entire world and continents to explore with different modes of fast transport like the different colored Chocobos, Airship, The Buggy, The Tiny Bronco etc. I'm starting to question if you played the game and watched the movie..

Wait... Are you saying that Square Enix is going to convert Midgar, Kalm, and all the other areas into a fully explorable sandbox/open world design?

What on planet Earth ever gave you the impression that they are going that route? That's a ludicrous expectation... Are you high on your farts?

User moderated - Bristow9091

Last edited by Bristow9091 - on 16 May 2019

deskpro2k3 said:

I just edit my first reply, I rushed cause I was watching a movie.

I'm all for more content. The main story is already set in the stone, so anything more is extra side quest and filler. Kitase said they wanted Cloud to do deliveries, and among other things that didn't make it into the game, or was scrapped completely. I will put two links below. I won't lie about this though, but my expectations is pretty high for FF7R, and I'm sure SE knows their fans expectations is high, and if it ends in failure they'll never recover from it.

https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_VII_dummied_content

https://www.thegamer.com/amazing-things-deleted-final-fantasy-7-change-everything/

Star Citizen, the current content in it is fun, but it's not fully released, it's no where near it, I say 25% done.

Why would Cloud do deliveries? He's a mercenary working for a terrorist organisation. Deliveries just says fetch quests to me and FF7 could definitely do without them (although sounds more like just a needless side mission so you know where to find the Titan Materia, nothing else). Looking at those links, I look forward to female Sephiroth and her and Aerith being in a relationship. :)

I'm sure SE do know that fans expectations are high but reading comments by SE and this thread alone, all I can see if that their own expectations far exceeds what many fans want. What they/fans (me at least) want is FF7 that plays like FF7 but looks like FF15. For many, the more they hear about what SE want to add, how the gameplay is different, how they'll split it up just makes them worried. 

zero129 said:

Whats with this sneaky line when you know full well its still in development?. However ill answer this question anyway for deskpro. Yes i have had a lot of fun with star citizen so far, the planet they added is huge, as big as many single player game maps and to think its only 1 planet with another massive one to drop soon. For my 10 euro ive had over 30 hours of fun. can you name many games for that value and playtime?.

I didn't think it was a very good example as comparison. I'm sure it's very fun for those who are playing it but it's a game crowd funded with now more money that even SquEnix could dream of for a single game development which was originally intended to release in 2014 based on the original Kickstarter. It's created a planet and it's goal for gameplay of space exploration has been/will be met. My expectation for FF7R is not a space sim, not a world exploration game, they don't need clever mechanics to launch and land a shuttle (for 7 minutes) on to what looks like an empty planet and they don't need an open world of 2600 square miles just for me to walk from Midgar to Kalm. I just want to get to Kalm so I can do the flashback so I can then go and capture chocobos.

Last edited by The Fury - on 16 May 2019

Hmm, pie.

Mandalore76 said:
Xxain said:
Guys .. Chesus trist..The episodic thing is just replicating disk switch. Why is this such a big deal? This isnt a new thing. Both the .Hack series and Golden Sun and MMO's have done this.

When I bought Final Fantasy VII over 20 years ago, all 3 discs came in the same jewel case day one.  If all episodes aren't available on initial release day, then no, it's not remotely the same thing.  When I finished the original disc one, a message didn't appear on the screen saying "wait for Squaresoft to release disc 2".

So just wait for all the episodes to come out and boom buy them all at once. Done. You see problem solved.