By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Introducing Thread Wagering!

** Betting is CLOSED - all winnings have been paid out by TalonMan **

Which VGChartz feature does TalonMan love most?

Prediction League 1 $0.15 2.94%

User Profile Updates 0 $0.00 0%

VG$ Store 2 $5.14 5.88%

Game Database 25 $11,608.50 73.53%

Thread Wagering 1 $50.00 2.94%

New Badges 1 $100.00 2.94%

Thread Subscribing 0 $0.00 0%

Upgraded Forum Text Editor 3 $826.00 8.82%

Site Themes 1 $170.00 2.94%

Totals: 34 $12,759.79  
Game closed: 05/18/2019

I tossed in 1 cent for Game Database.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

Around the Network

As usual, great work Talonman.This is one of the features that most made sense to make, given the sales based site we are in.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Mnementh said:

@TalonMan: Small bug here. If I choose the date, the date picker is displayed below the footer:

I have Firefox 66.0.3 (64-Bit) on Linux and use the Blue theme.

You know, I initially had this problem myself and was going to look into it - but after working through some other stuff it stopped happening and I couldn't replicate. So, I just figured whatever the issue was, had worked itself out.

Unfortunately, I have no control over where that calendar pops (above or below) the entry box - so, the two options I had tried when I first saw this bug were:

- Move the date selection field to the top of the form

or

- Add a bunch of padding to the bottom of the field, so it pushes the footer down and out of the way

I'm still not sure which is the best method yet - in the meantime, I do know if you scroll back up a bit (not so far that you can no longer see the date box, but just enough to hide the footer), the calendar will definitely appear ABOVE the input box...

Hiku said:

That's pretty damn neat for predictions, so people can put their (VG)money where their mouth is. =p

May I suggest a feature to compliment this one?
I think it would be cool if in our profiles we could see category breakdowns of where our wins and losses go.
For example:

- Official Sales Prediction Threads: -$46.000
- Official Metascore Prediction Threads: +$3000

That way you and other members can see how good (or bad) people are at predicting things.

You know, @Mnementh had a bunch of ideas in the Website Update thread revolving around different leaderboards and whatnot. Coupled with this, I'm starting to see a direction we can maybe push VGChartz towards, a bit.

We know we've lost software sales (mostly because of the digital age) - and yet, the majority of the people here are stats-heads who simply need to get their numbers fix. Perhaps we push ourselves to not only be a site about sales statistics, but "gamer statistics", too. It just seems to me, you guys would probably enjoy seeing weekly leaderboard(s) based on some specific community stat(s), almost as much as seeing a weekly sales chart... 

kirby007 said:

Aswell as an option to see which thread has a bet active?

Edit: yes not as rigged as i assumed good to implement that 1000 max

Threads titles in listings have "Bet:" in front of them, just as the "Poll:" ones have had all along...    ...or, are you talking about something else?

...and you can thank @Machina for the cap on betting - frankly, I'm glad he thought of it when he did because I'm POSITIVE people like you would already be moving in on becoming bazillionaires. 

Around the Network
TalonMan said:
kirby007 said:

Aswell as an option to see which thread has a bet active?

Edit: yes not as rigged as i assumed good to implement that 1000 max

Threads titles in listings have "Bet:" in front of them, just as the "Poll:" ones have had all along...    ...or, are you talking about something else?

...and you can thank @Machina for the cap on betting - frankly, I'm glad he thought of it when he did because I'm POSITIVE people like you would already be moving in on becoming bazillionaires. 

You know, I've talked a bit about this on a couple other threads and never got a response, so I figure maybe quoting the guy himself might prompt something. It's not something I think needs changing, mind you, as I know it's normally seen as a standard feature of any forum and wouldn't bother most people, but personally I am bothered with the yellow labels in front of each thread, it feels like they change their status or something. Like, I don't feel the same now going into a thread with a poll, it feels as though the poll is necessarily the focus of it and that's certainly not the case for many threads that have a poll just because why not, and all.

I think there's a few ways to fix it, but if it's just me then it probably doesn't need fixing, right? I just want to at least get some discussion on the subject.

mZuzek said:
TalonMan said:

You know, I've talked a bit about this on a couple other threads and never got a response, so I figure maybe quoting the guy himself might prompt something. It's not something I think needs changing, mind you, as I know it's normally seen as a standard feature of any forum and wouldn't bother most people, but personally I am bothered with the yellow labels in front of each thread, it feels like they change their status or something. Like, I don't feel the same now going into a thread with a poll, it feels as though the poll is necessarily the focus of it and that's certainly not the case for many threads that have a poll just because why not, and all.

I think there's a few ways to fix it, but if it's just me then it probably doesn't need fixing, right? I just want to at least get some discussion on the subject.

Oh, I did see your previous comment on this (I see and read EVERYTHING in the WebDev thread, I just don't always respond right away) - but I was waiting to see if anyone else had a comment about it. So far, you are it...    ...and you called it out a mere 15 minutes after I had deployed!! Ha!

I see both sides - I get what you're saying about appearing to give a "higher status", but there are times when I do want to find a thread with a poll in it. And now, with the addition of bets, there will be people absolutely looking specifically for threads with bets in them (and as you've probably noticed, the pols and bets share the same logic for thread titling).

None of this means I would discount any suggestions for change - so, what are you suggesting???

TalonMan said:
mZuzek said:

Oh, I did see your previous comment on this (I see and read EVERYTHING in the WebDev thread, I just don't always respond right away) - but I was waiting to see if anyone else had a comment about it. So far, you are it...    ...and you called it out a mere 15 minutes after I had deployed!! Ha!

I see both sides - I get what you're saying about appearing to give a "higher status", but there are times when I do want to find a thread with a poll in it. And now, with the addition of bets, there will be people absolutely looking specifically for threads with bets in them (and as you've probably noticed, the pols and bets share the same logic for thread titling).

None of this means I would discount any suggestions for change - so, what are you suggesting???

Actually, I also commented on this in my thread about forum activity, after another user expressed the same sentiment, so it's actually two of us so far. He complained about it giving certain threads a "higher status", but personally I don't necessarily see them as "higher" just... different. And for many threads, different is already not a good thing. My first suggestion was to allow thread makers to choose whether to have the label or not, so that threads with polls would only be labeled with them if the poll was relevant to the topic, but my second suggestion on the other thread was to have a different kind of label. I made a quick example in photoshop (below), but I can imagine something like that is a lot harder to implement than a text label.

mZuzek said:
TalonMan said:

Actually, I also commented on this in my thread about forum activity, after another user expressed the same sentiment, so it's actually two of us so far. He complained about it giving certain threads a "higher status", but personally I don't necessarily see them as "higher" just... different. And for many threads, different is already not a good thing. My first suggestion was to allow thread makers to choose whether to have the label or not, so that threads with polls would only be labeled with them if the poll was relevant to the topic, but my second suggestion on the other thread was to have a different kind of label. I made a quick example in photoshop (below), but I can imagine something like that is a lot harder to implement than a text label.

Not sure giving the OP the option to display (or not display) the text, would prove beneficial - if having the text makes your thread stick out, then why would any OP not want the text??

The second idea is doable - but I'm not sure anybody would actually know what the difference between the two icons is. I know that's partially your intent, but it seems to me it goes to the exact OPPOSITE extreme, and the polls or bets would get camouflaged...

TalonMan said:
mZuzek said:

Not sure giving the OP the option to display (or not display) the text, would prove beneficial - if having the text makes your thread stick out, then why would any OP not want the text??

The second idea is doable - but I'm not sure anybody would actually know what the difference between the two icons is. I know that's partially your intent, but it seems to me it goes to the exact OPPOSITE extreme, and the polls or bets would get camouflaged...

Well, they could always have different colors, or maybe a symbol or something. And also say exactly what it means when you hover over it. I don't know, I just don't like the labels being on thread topics, it makes it seem like they're different just because of having a poll. I know for one, I've made many threads over the years that didn't need polls, but I just put them there for the sake of it, but I'd never like people to go into those threads expecting the poll to be the "main" thing. If we have to keep the text labels, maybe they could be in a different place, like in the bottom line of text or something?

Edit: as for threads with the label sticking out, I'm not sure about that. Maybe it does for most people, but for me personally, at first I was inclined to actually avoid those threads, because they felt a little... alien. So it's not necessarily something that attracts more attention.