By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - The state of this forum

super_etecoon said:

Does anyone else delete most of their comments before they hit send? Some arguments just aren’t worth getting into. There was a time I sat in front of my computer for hours at a time with this site. Those days, especially because of smart phones, are long gone. If I’m at a computer for that long, it’s because I’m working.

Not most, but definitely more than a few times. Or just don't respond in general. Happened a few moments ago.

Around the Network

After a period of brief optimism, VGC went back to tracking down. Can definitely pinpoint when I became fully disillusioned with the site.

The good news of VGC is that for the time being, 6000 is the hard floor.

At least the relative YoY won't be too bad soon.

The Switch passing PS1 article gained some great traction. It got into the thousand likes on Twitter and got ReviewTechUSA and several others make a video about it and quote the website. Article passed 10k views it's nice to see ! Switch passing the PS4 will be massive online.

Anyway, feels like January was an overall good month here.

I haven’t been here very long but reading some of this isn’t too surprising to me. I remember being vaguely aware of this site back in 2007-09. The PS3-360 era was a real dogfight and I’m sure that generated a ton of content.

I think that’s probably why traffic fell off too. 8th gen simply wasn’t interesting to talk about from a sales perspective. Nintendo was a no show until the switch, and Microsoft was a no show the whole time.

Perhaps renewed competition from MS and Nintendo will see an uptick in interest in sales discussion. I know that’s why I’m even here

trunkswd said:
xMetroid said:

The Switch passing PS1 article gained some great traction. It got into the thousand likes on Twitter and got ReviewTechUSA and several others make a video about it and quote the website. Article passed 10k views it's nice to see ! Switch passing the PS4 will be massive online.

Anyway, feels like January was an overall good month here.

The tweet on Twitter has done really well. If only that happened more often. That one tweet has over 330K impressions and over 10K engagements, and it is continuing to grow. It has also helped the official VGChartz Twitter account gain over 200 followers.

Yea it did massively well AND we got confirmation close afterwards that the Switch indeed surpassed the PS1 and Wii. So the close enough numbers the site got pushed the narrative that the site is always millions off. The 200 followers will help a lot in gaining a bit of traction in every posting. Like i said, once we get to the point where the site says Switch passes the PS4, Twitter will explode. 

I also had an idea/ find it curious there isn't like a trending section on the most popular article on the site. It could help keeping the most popular conversations afloat since they quickly vanish in the flow of news.

Around the Network

The problem with this site is the lack of interest in video games.

We have tons of threads about the business side of the industry(which makes sense for this site) but rarely is there any good discussion about video games. I remember back in the golden days on this site we would have hype threads awaiting the release anticipated games. Now? You would not even know big games released/are releasing on this site. Never an we need a shift from a sales site with game discussion to game discussion site with sales news.

Xxain said:

The problem with this site is the lack of interest in video games.

We have tons of threads about the business side of the industry(which makes sense for this site) but rarely is there any good discussion about video games. I remember back in the golden days on this site we would have hype threads awaiting the release anticipated games. Now? You would not even know big games released/are releasing on this site. Never an we need a shift from a sales site with game discussion to game discussion site with sales news.

I would imagine that “back in the day” (which I assume would be 2006-2010ish) there were simply far fewer video game forums on the internet. There are now sites like Reddit, neogaf, resetera, and so on, for general games discussion. However, in my experience at least, this is the only site I have found that discusses the business side of the industry at any length without devolving into console war flame wars 

Videogame forums are dying. The website has also been hiding sales for a long time which isn't helping.

user moderated - Ax

Last edited by axumblade - on 13 March 2022

The end feels like is drawing closer, huh? Not sure how the numbers are looking today but they shouldn't be pretty.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

I'm not a very active user. But this is the only website that I still write in the forums for.
I like this place, I feel that the premise of the site make it attractive for people with analytical minds, which in turn make for more interesting posts to read.