By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bloomberg: Nintendo to release cheaper Switch model by end June, 'modest' upgrade by end of year

MasonADC said:
That would explain why Mario Maker doesnt have a release date yet. I would expect to here about this before the end of the week tbh

You think it will bundle?

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
MasonADC said:
That would explain why Mario Maker doesnt have a release date yet. I would expect to here about this before the end of the week tbh

You think it will bundle?

Probably. Or maybe they just want that 1 2 punch announcement and release date. If it is bundled, I don’t expect a value bundle though

Using the X2 would be changing architecture, no one starts a new gen that quickly. Would be a waste of potential additional power being held up by ones still using the original switch.

Random_Matt said:
Using the X2 would be changing architecture, no one starts a new gen that quickly. Would be a waste of potential additional power being held up by ones still using the original switch.

And it would be a weak jump.

I bet the cheaper version would have a more efficient chip.
Maybe just make the same X1 in 16nm transistors. So less heat under the same clock in order to not needing such cooling system and be able to shrink it, and have more battery life. And all no detachable joycon, we have seen people predicting.

And why not using this chip on regular switch? This would be the modest upgrade. Ask the manufacturer make more upgraded chips would made them cost less, and also improve the regular switch. More battery life and allows a slightly higher clock, because the new chip would not heat as much as the old chip under the same clock.

Around the Network
Random_Matt said:

But X2 is not the same as X1, but at 16nm instead of 20, and just added 2 denver cores?

Take a X2, take out the 2 denver cores; or take a X1, shrink the process to 16nm. Wouldnt both result in (almost) the same?

jonathanalis said:
Random_Matt said:

But X2 is not the same as X1, but at 16nm instead of 20, and just added 2 denver cores?

Take a X2, take out the 2 denver cores; or take a X1, shrink the process to 16nm. Wouldnt both result in (almost) the same?

You can shrink the X1 as much as you like, the X2 has a higher memory bandwidth for starters so that is a no brainer in my books if that was a option for Nintendo to take. Yes, it does have an additional CPU cluster which would help in performance, but ask the tech guru of this site. 

The X2 may well be able to give performance increase in the games released so far, so could more or less act in the same way as the X1X.

MM2 launches June 28th. An switch mini announcement could honestly get announced at the investor briefing. However I think they will wait until a little more into May