By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bloomberg: Nintendo to release cheaper Switch model by end June, 'modest' upgrade by end of year

Link to the article here

"Growth in the current period will get a boost from the launch of a new, cheaper version of the Switch, according to two people familiar with the matter who requested anonymity to discuss private plans. The new device will likely be launched by the end of June, according to one of the people. The existing Switch will receive a modest upgrade this year, though a more powerful version is not in the works, the people said."

E3 can't come soon enough. If it's just another New 3DS situation with a slightly better screen I think I'll sit the 'upgraded' model out.

Around the Network

That would explain why Mario Maker doesn’t have a release date yet. I would expect to here about this before the end of the week tbh

Will it be a Switch Mini, or just a regular re-design? I'm not expecting an upgrade at all.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

The 'modest upgrade' could simply be a slightly revised Nvidia processor - doesn't the current model have a flaw that can only be fixed with a hardware revision? There were a bunch of reports last year that the current Switch model could be made to run homebrew applications and pirated games thanks to a flaw in Nvidia's processor which couldn't be patched.

My suspicion is Nintendo are launching this Mini model to lower the price point (which makes sense ahead of Animal Crossing and Pokemon, and which makes sense in Japan in particular) and that the later model is simply a new base model for the Switch which has been redesigned to omit the exploit in the Tegra processor. I can't see Nintendo wanting to manufacture tens of millions more Switch units with a flaw that leaves the door open to software piracy.

Shouldn't we know with the financial statement (sales projection) due tomorrow ?

Around the Network
Asriel said:
The 'modest upgrade' could simply be a slightly revised Nvidia processor - doesn't the current model have a flaw that can only be fixed with a hardware revision? There were a bunch of reports last year that the current Switch model could be made to run homebrew applications and pirated games thanks to a flaw in Nvidia's processor which couldn't be patched.

My suspicion is Nintendo are launching this Mini model to lower the price point (which makes sense ahead of Animal Crossing and Pokemon, and which makes sense in Japan in particular) and that the later model is simply a new base model for the Switch which has been redesigned to omit the exploit in the Tegra processor. I can't see Nintendo wanting to manufacture tens of millions more Switch units with a flaw that leaves the door open to software piracy.

Seems probable...maybe a screen upgrade of sorts but it would be strange to upgrade the screen to 1080p without some hardware upgrade as well.

Darwinianevolution said:
Will it be a Switch Mini, or just a regular re-design? I'm not expecting an upgrade at all.

The rumors point to slightly smaller screen, and a non-detactable joy-cons, makeing the total thing abit smaller, than the current Switch.
If its sold without the dock, it should be alot cheaper overall.

RolStoppable said:
That doesn't even sound like a New 3DS situation - the New 3DS used its improved processing power for a handful of exclusive games - but rather like an adjustment similar to the transition from the original DS to the DS Lite where the original model got phased out. Things that could get improved are slightly better battery life/screen, more durable/comfortable Joy-Cons or a Home button on the console itself, but Switch games themselves aren't going to be any different.

Id say more like a 2DS to go along with the 3DS. For the Mini.
Its a cheaper & more rustic design, more kid friendly switch version.

The last rumors of a new better Switch, I read where saying it might be a Switch 2.
Which seems very differnt than what Bloomberg is reporting, which sounds more like a New 3DS type upgrade to the Switch.

RolStoppable said:
JRPGfan said:

The last rumors of a new better Switch, I read where saying it might be a Switch 2.
Which seems very differnt than what Bloomberg is reporting, which sounds more like a New 3DS type upgrade to the Switch.

I wasn't talking about the cheaper version, but the "modest upgrade" which doesn't sound anywhere close to as substantial as the New 3DS upgrade; that one had better 3D, more buttons, more processing power for operating system and games. For Switch, it sounds like there will be only a few miniscule changes, plus Asriel's theory is sound that the Tegra chip will be modified to lock out piracy.

I'd like to see your source for Switch 2. You already mentioned the same thing in another thread and I forgot to ask you about the laughable idea of a Switch 2 that is supposed to launch anytime soon. It's likely a misinterpretation of the original rumor that specified that Nintendo doesn't plan an upgrade like the PS4 Pro. One interpretation of that is what is echoed by Bloomberg, that it won't be a more powerful version. The other interpretation is that it's much more powerful than the difference between PS4 and PS4 Pro, but yeah... that's a ridiculous expectation to have, because Switch 2 isn't going to happen anytime soon.

The Tegra chip vulnerability has already been patched
https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3035771/nintendo-patches-un-patchable-switch-nvidia-tegra-x1-flaw

---

I see the upgrade using an X2: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=226632

Double the battery life on portable and double the power docked, we will call it the Switch+

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

RolStoppable said:
JRPGfan said:

I wasn't talking about the cheaper version, but the "modest upgrade" which doesn't sound anywhere close to as substantial as the New 3DS upgrade; that one had better 3D, more buttons, more processing power for operating system and games. For Switch, it sounds like there will be only a few miniscule changes, plus Asriel's theory is sound that the Tegra chip will be modified to lock out piracy.

I'd like to see your source for Switch 2. You already mentioned the same thing in another thread and I forgot to ask you about the laughable idea of a Switch 2 that is supposed to launch anytime soon. It's likely a misinterpretation of the original rumor that specified that Nintendo doesn't plan an upgrade like the PS4 Pro. One interpretation of that is what is echoed by Bloomberg, that it won't be a more powerful version. The other interpretation is that it's much more powerful than the difference between PS4 and PS4 Pro, but yeah... that's a ridiculous expectation to have, because Switch 2 isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Indeed a Switch 2 doesn't make sense right now, it would ruin the momentum in sales that the system is currently getting and would anger a growing costumer base that just invested $300+ in their new system.

RolStoppable said:

Interesting that it got patched, because it was deemed unpatchable.

Wasn't the X2 really expensive only two years ago? Have the costs dropped so much since then that it can be used later this year?

Funnily enough, when I was thinking about the possible name for the new Switch version that will replace the current model, Switch Plus is what I liked best. Still, I don't expect a power upgrade like the X2 would provide, or really any power upgrade.

Yeah, they can patch the chip during manufacturing, not those out in the wild.

In the thread I made two years ago, the X2 devkit was $600 ($400 if you bought 1k+), meanwhile the X1 devkit was $500. Those are devkit prices, so you can't extrapolate to the actual boards used but you get an idea on the margins they might be using.

Having Switch+ with an X2 would make me upgrade easily and give the OG to a family member.
Maybe just a pipe dream

---

Regarding the mini version, been reading people saying a dock would be impossible. If they do make it fully handheld without detachable controllers, you can still pair a couple of controllers to it and attach it to a usbc-hdmi dongle. I've been using one since last summer and had no problems with it, perfect for the vacations when I don't want to carry my dock around.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Nintendo-Converter-Macbook-Samsung/dp/B078RZQJ8D

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"