By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - A Look Back At The PS5 Pastebin Leak

What Do You Think About The Leak?

It's definitely legit. 8 61.54%

It's a fake. 5 38.46%

Total:13

Since we had the PS5 mini-reveal a few days ago, I thought it would be interesting to look back at the leak that was posted on pastebin that was posted in late 2018.  Let's look at each part of the post to see what has been confirmed and what, if anything, is false.  I will be skipping the SW portion of it because who knows when it comes to development cycles.  Timetables change all the time and many of the things could have just been rumors the dev heard of.  Instead, I will be focusing on the HW portion, since as a dev, this individual should know what's under the hood.

• "PS5 official info from Sony somewhere around next E3(Sony will not be participating on E3),i'd say Q2 2019 small reveal"

Well, I'd say this turned out 100% true.  This month actually marks the beginning of Q2 and we did, in fact, get a small reveal of the PS5, not a PS Meeting like many expected because of how the PS4 was revealed.  We will definitely be getting more info as the months move on.

• "PS5 release March 2020 or November 2020,not yet finalized"

Again, I'd say 100% true.  Cerny confirmed the PS5 would not be out in 2019, so it seems 2020 is on lock.  And March and November seem the only likely months to launch HW.

• "backward compatible"

Yep.  Cerny confirmed it will be B/C with at least the PS4.  Hopefully, we will get word on other PS systems in the future.

• "physical games & ps store"

Again, yep.  Cerny said the PS5 will be coming with a physical disk drive.  So, no streaming only box for the PS.

• "ps plus & ps plus premium"

No word was given on this topic.  Personally, I'm hoping this one turns out false, or maybe more accurately, is reconsidered.

• "specs CPU 7nm ryzen 8 core 16 threads,unknown speed

GPU 7nm Navi arhitecture around 14TF,its gonna be powerful and power efficient,Sony working with Amd for Navi,some sort of Ray Tracing but will not focus on that,more focus with VR and 4k,much better bandwith overall

24GB Gddr6 + 4gb ddr4 for os,we have 32 gb dev kit"

Here we got confirmation that the pastebin poster is correct on the CPU, and at least partly right on the GPU.  It will be a 7nm Navi chip, but we don't quite know the power level of it, yet.  It was said to have ray tracing abilities.  Whether that is done with dedicated HW, is unknown.  And we do have confirmation that VR (and more than likely 4K) will be an important focus for Sony.  We have yet to learn anything about the RAM. 

• "8k upscaling"

This is definitely something I didn't expect.  At least not until the PS5 Pro, if there is one.  This seems too specific to be a lucky guess in my eyes.

• "2tb hdd some sort of nand flash"

Again, this is definitely something I did not expect.  Now, while we didn't get any confirmation on the size of the drive, it was confirmed that the PS5 is being built around a SSD, or possibly just a large pool of flash memory in conjunction with a HDD, to speed up loading times to being near nonexistent.  1TB does seem kind of small given that 1TB is now standard on the PS4 and since games will be getting larger next gen, so 2TB does make sense.

• "PSVR2 in 2020 also,reveal with ps5,big resolution boost probably 2560x1440,120hz,220 field of view,eye tracking,wireless,battery life 4-5 hours,headphones integrated,less motion sickenss,no breaker box,much less cable management,much more focus on VR for aaa games,price around 250$"

While Cerny only confirmed that the OG PSVR will work with the PS5, it is pretty obvious that we will be getting a PSVR 2.  Still, we have no confirmation on any of this, other than a few recent patents seemingly showing the possible PSVR 2 communicating wirelessly.  Personally, I take around $250 to include a range of $250-$300.

• "dualshock 5,some sort of camera inside for VR,more analog precision for fps games,something similiar to steam analog trackpad"

Again, no real confirmation on this one.  We'll just have to wait and see what the DS5 brings.

• "price 449$,some loss per console at a beginning"

Sony taking a loss on the HW is a given at this point.  As with the PSVR 2 price, I think the price range will be $450-$500.  Anything more would be suicide.  Sony will probably be taking a larger loss with the PS5 than with the PS4, but it will nowhere near PS3 loss levels.

To me, it is surprising how much that has been revealed actually lines up with this leak, including things I thought a little ridiculous for it to be taken seriously, like the mention of 8K and flash storage.  Could we be possibly looking at a 13-14 Tflops PS5?

Around the Network

I made a thread about it over a week ago. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=239856&page=1#
Based on what we know so far I think a good portion of it could be legit.

13 to 14 TF? Nope, completely meaningless though.

jason1637 said:
I made a thread about it over a week ago. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=239856&page=1#
Based on what we know so far I think a good portion of it could be legit.

Oh, my bad.  I went through a few pages of threads and didn't see any about it so I posted this.  I guess mods can lock it if they think it is redundant.

Anyway, yea, it definitely seems like a legit leak with everything we have confirmed so far.  I mean, many guessed at some of this stuff, like it being an 8 core Ryzen, but I doubt anyone pulled 8K upscaling out of their butt.  I'd say the SSD vs HDD was split about 50/50.  But, to get all of these things right?  Either this guy is who he says he is, or he's the luckiest guy ever and should buy some lotto tickets immediately.

I'm not convinced. A lot of that post sounds dubious and/or wishful. Most of what has been confirmed were safe bets.

Around the Network
TallSilhouette said:

I'm not convinced. A lot of that post sounds dubious and/or wishful. Most of what has been confirmed were safe bets.

I really wouldn't say they were safe bets.  Sure, Ryzen was the obvious choice for the CPU, but no one knew the actual core/thread count.  A "small reveal," instead of another PS Meeting, like the one that helped announce the comeback of their home console dominance, definitely doesn't come across as safe to me.  Or even mentioning 8K upscaling.  Or a SSD.  And while B/C, a disk drive, and a 2020 launch (personally, I was expecting a 2019 launch for the 25th Anniversary) seemed like obvious choices for many, nothing is guaranteed.  The only one I would say was 100% a safe bet was Navi, since that was rumored to be in the PS5 for months.

I don't know.  Getting a 2-3 of these, I can see anyone doing.  But, getting 8 of them pretty much confirmed, while all the others have not been proven false, they just remain unconfirmed?  Pretty lucky guy if he isn't an actual dev.

Random_Matt said:

Just watch at Digital Foundry new Video https://youtu.be/qU0V5OcHE_4?t=444

14,7 are mentioned there, also it doesn't mean 14,7 is the final consumer product it possible the devkit which is why it will be catered for developer because it will have more CU and more performance 

Also PS5 can possibly use Navi 20 because  Navi 20 will be ready in Q3 2020 :" AMD's 7nm CPU and GPU are expected to be adopted by Sony in its next-generation PlayStation and the processors are estimated to be ready in the third quarter of 2020 for the games console's expected release in the second half of 2020, according to industry... " https://www.digitimes.com/news/a20190416PD205.html

Also from PC gamer analysis: "Navi 20 (a variant of which is likely to find its way into the PlayStation 5) will be where AMD adds ray tracing hardware, and it will replace the current Vega and Radeon VII cards, but it likely won't be available until 2020. " https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-navi-specs-release-date-price-and-everything-we-know/

And also look also another analysis from AdoreTV channel Youtube which is famous for leak for AMD :He said  " Navi 20 which is the max CU for GCN will be sold as Navi 20 , it has 64 CU and the performance will be the same as 2080 + 20 % increase " , but of course the final product will not be that powerful, probably it will slightly less but 12 to 13 teraflop is hit the jackpot, and validate the rumor from the pastebin. Just at the price range and all the CU and TDP , it's a mid range GPU and it's not an expensive GPU.

https://youtu.be/7mJCOSXe_zc?t=817

I believe the final consumer product  will be binned Navi 20 chip  and based on the video it will be equal to Navi 10 Special 60 CU cut down  from 64 CU that means it will be 13,8 teraflop or Navi 10 regular with 56 CU with 12,5 Teraflop.

Nevertheless the Pastebin was correct , 14,7 TF also mentioned as Devkit. So that's that. 

HollyGamer said:
Random_Matt said:

Just watch at Digital Foundry new Video https://youtu.be/qU0V5OcHE_4?t=444

14,7 are mentioned there, also it doesn't mean 14,7 is the final consumer product it possible the devkit which is why it will be catered for developer because it will have more CU and more performance 

Also PS5 can possibly use Navi 20 because  Navi 20 will be ready in Q3 2020 :" AMD's 7nm CPU and GPU are expected to be adopted by Sony in its next-generation PlayStation and the processors are estimated to be ready in the third quarter of 2020 for the games console's expected release in the second half of 2020, according to industry... " https://www.digitimes.com/news/a20190416PD205.html

Also from PC gamer analysis: "Navi 20 (a variant of which is likely to find its way into the PlayStation 5) will be where AMD adds ray tracing hardware, and it will replace the current Vega and Radeon VII cards, but it likely won't be available until 2020. " https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-navi-specs-release-date-price-and-everything-we-know/

And also look also another analysis from AdoreTV channel Youtube which is famous for leak for AMD :He said  " Navi 20 which is the max CU for GCN will be sold as Navi 20 , it has 64 CU and the performance will be the same as 2080 + 20 % increase " , but of course the final product will not be that powerful, probably it will slightly less but 12 to 13 teraflop is hit the jackpot, and validate the rumor from the pastebin. Just at the price range and all the CU and TDP , it's a mid range GPU and it's not an expensive GPU.

https://youtu.be/7mJCOSXe_zc?t=817

I believe the final consumer product  will be binned Navi 20 chip  and based on the video it will be equal to Navi 10 Special 60 CU cut down  from 64 CU that means it will be 13,8 teraflop or Navi 10 regular with 56 CU with 12,5 Teraflop.

Nevertheless the Pastebin was correct , 14,7 TF also mentioned as Devkit. So that's that. 

We will find out soon no doubt, MS will show all first I guess.

Random_Matt said:

We will find out soon no doubt, MS will show all first I guess.

Yeah, probably at E3 this year, but i doubt they will go full detail because they will probably using the same chip (slightly more clock speed or more CU ) and those chip also still in test and optimization. There is also probability that similar reveal like in 2013 might happen  in 2020 for both to go full detail. We can expect both will be super close in terms of performance, thus Mark Cerny hinted new Marketing Jargons like SSD / fast loading time/ Ray Tracing visual/sound  and 8k to promote the console instead Teraflop number. 

If it's 12TF-14TF, I can't believe it'll be an APU, at least not like the PS4. Adored TV does a great job of explaining the new chiplet design route AMD is taking for third gen Ryzen, and this would be the way to go. An 8 core Ryzen chiplet, a separate Navi chiplet, and a separate I/O controller chiplet, all on an interposer. This way the heat from all 3 chiplets is kept separate and only combines on the heat sink on top of them all, which would allow for that kind of performance in a console without it sounding like OG PS4. 14TF in an all in one APU would require one heck of a large cooling system, even if it's vapor chamber based, and you could expect an XB1 sized model at launch. By using the separated chiplet APU style, you could probably get away with a Pro or PS3 sized model.

While I myself doubt they would shoot for 14TF, as the efficiency level at the top of the stack for Navi likely wouldn't be great, I do think they will not allow it to be any less than the 10.7TF of Stadia. That's also assuming it's going to be just one model. If PS has a 6TF-8TF base model for $399, then why not shoot for the moon and try to have the most powerful console as well at 14TF for $599?

My best guess would be the leak is maybe 60/40 give or take. The 40% mostly being up in the air still, so they don't really know and are maybe giving out the highest level those specs could potentially land at, depending on what XB reveals and final price points.