By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is the market ready for a $500 console yet?

What should the PS5 & Xbox 4 cost at launch?

$500 (high specs) 45 60.81%

$450 (moderate specs) 8 10.81%

$400 (low specs) 21 28.38%

Total:74
SKMBlake said:
Oh gosh, stop comparing to other things and show inflation-related charts, that's all you do

Oh gosh, stop ignoring the fact that inflation also affects the entertainment sector (which obviously includes console gaming) to defend your weak and unproven argument.

Around the Network

There are a lot of people I've talked to who said "I really want a Switch, but $300 is too much." These are also the people who waited until the PS4 was $250 before they got one. The higher the price gets, the more of these people there are. $500 is probably too high for the base SKU. It would need to have some notable extra features to push people into buying it.

I would pay whatever.

It's just fine for the launch/launch window period. Specially' for launch day when all the freaks come out to sleep on the sidewalk and roll around in filth in order to secure their console at 8am. Add in the strong brand of PS, and you've got yourself a $500 USD winner.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Conina said:
SKMBlake said:
Oh gosh, stop comparing to other things and show inflation-related charts, that's all you do

Oh gosh, stop ignoring the fact that inflation also affects the entertainment sector (which obviously includes console gaming) to defend your weak and unproven argument.

How come my argument (which is said by many here) is weaker than saying "people are willing to pay more because of the inflation" ? Who the hell gives a bread about the inflation when they go shopping ?

Around the Network

SKMBlake said:

How come my argument (which is said by many here) is weaker than saying "people are willing to pay more because of the inflation" ? Who the hell gives a bread about the inflation when they go shopping ?

When they are shopping for bread, they also are confronted with higher prices due to inflation:

http://www.in2013dollars.com/Bread/price-inflation

Did people stop buying bread?

Last edited by Conina - on 20 April 2019

Conina said:

SKMBlake said:
500/600$ PS3 and 500$ Xbox One already proved there is a symbolic pricing ceiling.

No, they didn't prove anything for 2020.

The only thing the PS3 proved in 2006/2007 was that the PlayStation brand and exclusives and the PS4 advantages (f.e. Blu-ray drive) were strong enough arguments for many people to justify a 50% higher price tag compared to the (at that point even better performing) Xbox 360.

The only thing the Xbox One proved in 2013/2014 was that the Xbox brand and Kinect 2.0 weren't strong enough arguments for many people to justify a 25% higher price tag compared to the (to this day better performing) PS4 with a lot more exclusives.

That's it.

Movie tickets have more than doubled since 1995. Has the number of sold movie tickets halved since then because "entertainment dollars aren't affected by inflation"? No, they have gone slightly down in the last years, but are still above the 1995 numbers:

Even though there are less and less reasons to go to the cinema with much improved and affordable home cinema/entertainment solutions in the last decade: bigger TV screens, 4K TVs, sound bars, Netflix, 4K streaming, very popular TV shows which are better than most new movies...

The problem is, that we have a very gradual increase in price here, something we didn't have for Video games. Nobody seems to want to exceed the 60$ pricetag for a new game. And the 600$ is considered a similar mark. But the way hardware goes, that one will have to fall some day.

Inflation is also a bad parameter when you have other things that go against it. If you exclude Tetris and Mario, what games even made it past the 1 million mark before the turn of the century? During the 6th and 7th generation, especially with PS2 and Wii, video gaming exploded in numbers, more than offsetting the inflation with sheer sales numbers. Nowadays, A game selling less than 1M is a huge disappointment unless it's an indie title, but 20 years ago, selling over 100k was already a big success.

You also have to consider that publishers at the time released up to 30 games a year to have something for every quarter; now with the microtransactions, DLC, and so on, they got those covered with a stable baseline and release half a dozen a year at best, which also cuts down on development costs. They don't have to raise the prices with their in-game sales, further cementing the notion of fixed pricing in the videogame scene.

I would not mind a more expensive launch with high specs. But if you tell me I would pay $600 like ps3 to get the best, but 3-4 years later I need another $600 for a mid gen upgrade, then I would be pissed. So companys choose one. Cheap launches with mid gen refreshes or single per gen but expensive at launch.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Conina said:

SKMBlake said:

When they are shopping for bread, they also are confronted with higher prices due to inflation:

http://www.in2013dollars.com/Bread/price-inflation

Did people stop buying bread?

Not even after the gluten scare and people realizing that carbs are bad?

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Cobretti2 said:
Zoombael said:
Some act like it is the difference between affordable and putting a loan against a house.

If 500 is too much for you then so is 400.

It is not about being affordable or not and only a difference of $100.

It is a mental thing, people set a price what they think a gaming box is worth. Don't matter what you put in it, they won't buy it.

Now a dedicated gamer in general does not have those kind of stupid mental limitations because they know the value of the specs.

In this scenario we are talking general market. Your common casual gamers.

Compare this to mobile phones, some of them are what $600-1000 now? A lot of people upgrade them every new model release. They believe that the upgrade is justified.

In their head they probably thinking.

- I must have the latest for my social media posts

- Oh latest camera better pictures of my ass to put on Instagram, must have the best to get more followers.

- Oh i can listen to music whilst traveling

- Watch netflix or whatever

- Oh I guess i can still make calls

Time is money. If you dont have the money, wait till price drops or buy it used.

Thats what i do... sometimes. 

Gamers are the wieniest whiners. I woudlnt draw conclussions because of a forum minority. The market has changed in the last 15 years. Smartphones sales are rather proof to this than anything else.

Hunting Season is done...