Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 Confirmed Backward Compatibility

That article has some interesting info indeed.  Here is what I get from a business perspective.

Pros:
-Disc based
-Backwards Compatibility

Cons:
-Powerful (pricey?)
-VR is going to be a priority
-Not releasing this year

So far PS5 is not doing too hot.  It is looking kind of like the PS3, but it may be too early to tell.  If they are smart they will do an early 2020 release, and maybe the VR is mostly talk.  We'll see.

Around the Network

This is all good. I don't expect to have something as fancy as ray-tracing to be available with the console (at least the launch SKU), but what I'm very excited for is all this BC talk. PlayStation 4 BC has me excited, but what I'm keeping an eye on is on the patents they've filed months ago regarding a BC method to play the previous games, particularly PS3 ones. If there's PS3 BC confirmed, whether it's physical, digital or streaming, I'd be very pleased.

Now what I'm fearful about is their next-gen pricing plan for PS Plus and PSNow. I bet that, not only they'll offer both services individually like right now, but they'll increase its cost and will offer a pricey bundle to entice people to try both.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

That article has some interesting info indeed.  Here is what I get from a business perspective.

Pros:
-Disc based
-Backwards Compatibility

Cons:
-Powerful (pricey?)
-Not releasing this year

So far PS5 is not doing too hot.  It is looking kind of like the PS3, but it may be too early to tell.  If they are smart they will do an early 2020 release, and maybe the VR is mostly talk.  We'll see.

Without full specs nor a price, I don't see how it 'isn't looking too hot'. The piece of info that does exist seems to have most people speaking highly of it, however. That's always a good thing!

CGI-Quality said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Pros:
-Disc based
-Backwards Compatibility

Cons:
-Powerful (pricey?)
-Not releasing this year

Without full specs nor a price, I don't see how it 'isn't looking too hot'. The piece of info that does exist seems to have most people speaking highly of it, however. That's always a good thing!

As I said, may be too early to tell. 

But people spoke very highly of the PS3 before it came out.  It was such a powerful machine.  But power and price go hand in hand.  That is why power is a disadvantage.  PS4 was not ambitiously powerful when it released and it did very well.  For that matter PS1 and PS2 were not particularly powerful either.  The fact that the specs look so "good" is actually a bad decision.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
CGI-Quality said:

But people spoke very highly of the PS3 before it came out.  It was such a powerful machine.  But power and price go hand in hand.  That is why power is a disadvantage.  PS4 was not ambitiously powerful when it released and it did very well.  For that matter PS1 and PS2 were not particularly powerful either.  The fact that the specs look so "good" is actually a bad decision.

It is too early to tell. Beyond that, this is a situation where their damned regardless (based on responses like yours). PS3-PS4? "They played it safe, barely any graphical jump at all". Go more powerful? "Oh, here comes another PS3". 

Just listening to some of Cerny's words leaves no doubt, to me, that this won't be another PS3. Between $400 and $500 is what most are expecting (even though I remain in the camp of $399, with a potential for $449). There has yet to be any real evidence of a 'bad decision', though.

Around the Network

DonFerrari said: 
spemanig said:

Stadia is more powerful than XBO X and PS4 Pro combined. That was confirmed by the specs shown at its reveal. I don't know where you heard that it's only XBO X-level, but that's false.

Stadia is also shooting for 4K 60fps at launch, with 8K 60fps as time progressed. I don't really like thrown out numbers like that anyway because it's just unsubstantiated flexing, but that's also something that was said explicitly at reveal. It has as much validity atm as anything confirmed so far for PS5.

I'm really just curious how streaming platforms will compare spec-wise to standalone consoles. The next 3 years will be buy far the most interesting in gaming since maybe the Wii/DS/XB Live era. So transformative with streaming, VR, and new hybrid platforms like Switch entering the mainstream. (pun intended) Considering rumors of PS5 being $500, I wonder if they'll consider selling a cheaper $400/$450 model that's digital only. Exciting times!

On the reveal I just heard they were posed for next gen. And if you knew the specs why were you asking?

Digital only just saves the money on the drive, 30USD by losing the drive doesn't seem exciting at all.

And yes being server based they can up the spec of their server as much and often as they want, but considering what we have been seeing on Netflix, Youtube, PSNow and internet infrastructure I don't think real experience on streaming will be better than regular console for next gen.

I only know certain specs, enough to know that it's significantly more powerful than the XBO X. I was musing on how it compares to the PS5 specifically, which isn't known. That's not hard to follow.

I don't know how much it would save, but if the box is going to be more expensive than last gen, and digital is overtaking physical, any attempt by Sony to cut the price will likely be appreciated; now more than ever.

I'm confused - have we been seeing something bad on Netflix, Youtube, PSNow and internet infrastructure?

Well, this is new.

Read.

CGI-Quality said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

It is too early to tell. Beyond that, this is a situation where their damned regardless (based on responses like yours). PS3-PS4? "They played it safe, barely any graphical jump at all". Go more powerful? "Oh, here comes another PS3". 

Just listening to some of Cerny's words leaves no doubt, to me, that this won't be another PS3. Between $400 and $500 is what most are expecting (even though I remain in the camp of $399, with a potential for $449). There has yet to be any real evidence of a 'bad decision', though.

It will be more interesting once Microsoft reveals its cards and we have specs to compare imo.

German YouTuber and Streamer:
StarCraft and Fallout 4 currently.

Me trying to write reviews:
Octopath Traveler

Amazon thread

Marth said:
CGI-Quality said:

It will be more interesting once Microsoft reveals its cards and we have specs to compare imo.

Indeed. It'll also tell me just how much more (and type) of juice to add to my upcoming rig! :P

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Pros:
-Disc based
-Backwards Compatibility

Cons:
-Powerful (pricey?)
-Not releasing this year

How is prioritizing VR, in the decade most positioned for it to enter the mainstream, at all a business con? It would be beyond ignorant for them not to focus on VR going forward, even more than they currently are.

Well, this is new.

Read.

Regarding the price of the PS5, Peter Rubin (the one who interviewed Cerny for WIRED) has tweeted that he asked about the price, and the response he got was "I believe that we will be able to release it at an SRP [suggested retail price] that will be appealing to gamers in light of its advanced feature set."

What that does mean is to anyone's guess.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.