By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Notre Dame is on Fire

0D0 said:
kirby007 said:

Nonsense worship can be done anywhere, i find going to church majorly hypocritical same as worshipping socalled relics.

Religion doesnt require a place of worship it requires conviction and willpower. Not some fancy building. Religion and worship within oneself is all that is required. The wealth within and not the wealth visible

You can put fire on your own "fancy building" if you own one. This is Notre Dame we're talking about, it's a 800-year-old Christian place of worship. Millions of Christians have donated to build temples like that. It's not nonsense for millions of people of faith.

Wanting it to be burned down to be replaced by a skyscraper is just offensive, no matter how atheist you are.

Offensive? Are you joking? Offensive would have been if i said i was glad it was burned down because those heretics deserved no such place of powermongering.

At the moment i said it it looked like it was going to be totally destroyed, thus a logical conclusion was if the ground would have been redeveloped would the city have gone for big bucks.

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
kirby007 said:
0D0 said:

It's not funny. Who would want to get a nice skyscraper in the place Notre Dame? It'd be foolish. Besides, it's a very important place of worship and one a truly marvel of construction.

Nonsense worship can be done anywhere, i find going to church majorly hypocritical same as worshipping socalled relics.

Religion doesnt require a place of worship it requires conviction and willpower. Not some fancy building. Religion and worship within oneself is all that is required. The wealth within and not the wealth visible

While I agree about the religion, and a joke or not, this building in particular is an extremely important work in architecture and art, and stood for innovation and technical advancement. It’s construction was a huge achievement and the new techniques that were discovered in it’s design and development have been important to the advancement of western civilization. You’ll have to appreciate that this church is in part the reason why modern skyscrapers can be built at all, and is much more valuable to our culture than the biggest skyscraper one the site could ever be.

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 18 April 2019

CaptainExplosion said:
What kind of lowlife bastard would do this to one of the world's most important historical sites? -_-

It was probably an accident.

Also, it’s a divine miracle the stained glass windows survided. The three large rose windows are irreplacable. It’d be like burning the Mona Lisa, since these three are basically to stained glass what the Mona Lisa is to paintings.

Well God doesn't give a flying fig for man-made buildings, since in the new testament the word "temple" means the body of a person, no longer a construction like in the old testament.

Matthew 24:1-2 As Jesus left the Temple and was walking away, his followers came up to show him the Temple’s buildings. 2 Jesus asked, “Do you see all these buildings? I tell you the truth, not one stone will be left on another. Every stone will be thrown down to the ground.”

While the disciples were amazed how beautiful and huge the Temple of Solomon was, Jesus was like "meh" and told them that it will be destroyed into nothing, which really happened in 70 AD.

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:
kirby007 said:

While I agree about the religion, and a joke or not, this building in particular is an extremely important work in architecture and art, and stood for innovation and technical advancement. It’s construction was a huge achievement and the new techniques that were discovered in it’s development have been important to the advancement of western civilization. You’ll have to appreciate that this church is in part the reason why modern skyscrapers can be built at all, and is much more valuable to our culture than the biggest skyscraper could ever be.

i agree with the statement, but this kind of buildings are here as symbols to remind us who we are, and for atheists, how the European civilization came to be at the very least

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

kirby007 said:
0D0 said:

It's not funny. Who would want to get a nice skyscraper in the place Notre Dame? It'd be foolish. Besides, it's a very important place of worship and one a truly marvel of construction.

As religion is a communal endeavor, putting so much work and effort into making something that in it's beauty and splendour rises above the individual efforts put together, is an even stronger showing of human will. Praying for oneself or for others is one thing, shaping the world and beautifying it is another.

CuCabeludo said:

Well God doesn't give a flying fig for man-made buildings, since in the new testament the word "temple" means the body of a person, no longer a construction like in the old testament.

Matthew 24:1-2 As Jesus left the Temple and was walking away, his followers came up to show him the Temple’s buildings. 2 Jesus asked, “Do you see all these buildings? I tell you the truth, not one stone will be left on another. Every stone will be thrown down to the ground.”

While the disciples were amazed how beautiful and huge the Temple of Solomon was, Jesus was like "meh" and told them that it will be destroyed into nothing, which really happened in 70 AD.

Still, God requires the best from His followers.

The woman used the best ointment on Jesus feet and he appreciated that.

Although Jesus can be worshipped under a tree, having the best temple in the city for His worship is just trying to give the best to God. We want the best for our own houses, why can't we want the best for the place of worship for Jesus?

The truth of temple meaning the body doesn't make having the best church building a sin or something that we should be just be ok for seeing it being destroyed.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

shikamaru317 said:
Over 900m euros have now been raised to help rebuild it. Sadly, though France's President Macron wanted it to be rebuilt within 5 years in time for the 2024 Olympics in Paris, contractors are saying that it could take 20-40 years to rebuild if they want the job done right, as it will take time to get wood and stone sourced from the same regions used in the original Notre Dame, and it will take time to improve the structure to protect against massive damage in the future.

There will be a lot more troubles if they try to fix it fast than if they take their time to make sure that everything is ok and then properly repair it. I hope they choose the right option and don't hurry just for the sake of the Olympic games or because it's the most visited monument by tourists in France (aka, the money).

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

S.Peelman said:
Also, its a divine miracle the stained glass windows survided. The three large rose windows are irreplacable. Itd be like burning the Mona Lisa, since these three are basically to stained glass what the Mona Lisa is to paintings.

Divine miracle? No. Physics and hard work? Yes.
The firefighters put a ton of effort into protecting various assets.

shikamaru317 said:
Over 900m euros have now been raised to help rebuild it. Sadly, though France's President Macron wanted it to be rebuilt within 5 years in time for the 2024 Olympics in Paris, contractors are saying that it could take 20-40 years to rebuild if they want the job done right, as it will take time to get wood and stone sourced from the same regions used in the original Notre Dame, and it will take time to improve the structure to protect against massive damage in the future.

It can be done, but it will require extensive man power and coordination... Which doesn't come cheap.

I would prefer they took their time and did it right the first time.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--