Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is it really accurate to compare Nintendo to Disney at this point?

Nah, one of them is not trying to be a terrible monopoly.

Around the Network

You can but it's kind of like comparing Ace Hardware to Walmart.  

Shiken said:
In the Video Game industry, yes Nintendo is comparable to Disney. They are even opening their own theme parks ffs.

If you're talking about the Nintendo themed areas coming to Universal then it's kind of misleading to say they're "opening their own theme parks."  A lot of IP has or has had themed areas in Universal.  

If Nintendo is actually opening their own theme parks then I'm wrong and haven't heard about it.  

ARamdomGamer said:

To be fair, Nintendo did try, they just didn't succeed.

ARamdomGamer said:

Of the two, only Nintendo holds a monopoly in anything (handheld consoles).

I'm not sure how Disney can be remotely accused of being a monopoly.  Every sector they they own a stake in has competition from multi-billion dollar companies.  The problem with the entertainment industry isn't Disney.  It's that the box office is falling in general and the other studios are being critically mismanaged.

NightlyPoe said:
KLXVER said:

If they were to buy anyone it would be Sony. They have the rights to Spider-Man after all. I still hope Sony doesn't get acquired by Disney even if they are so dependable as you say.

They're not going to buy either.  The hypothetical is null to begin with.  All I am saying is that Disney is not EA and tosses the companies it acquires into the rubbish bin.

You forgot about LucasArts.

NightlyPoe said:
ARamdomGamer said:

I'm not sure how Disney can be remotely accused of being a monopoly.  Every sector they they own a stake in has competition from multi-billion dollar companies.  The problem with the entertainment industry isn't Disney.  It's that the box office is falling in general and the other studios are being critically mismanaged.

Disney is a monopoly because they're buying out major companies left and right; Marvel, LucasFilm, 20th Century Fox, etc. If they keep it up it'd severely damage the entertainment industry and several others.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
NightlyPoe said:

They're not going to buy either.  The hypothetical is null to begin with.  All I am saying is that Disney is not EA and tosses the companies it acquires into the rubbish bin.

Disney is a monopoly because they're buying out major companies

"Buying out major companies" is no definition or indiction of a monopoly.

Conina said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Disney is a monopoly because they're buying out major companies

"Buying out major companies" is no definition or indiction of a monopoly.

Well it allows them to create a monopoly though.

CaptainExplosion said:
NightlyPoe said:

You forgot about LucasArts.

NightlyPoe said:

Disney is a monopoly because they're buying out major companies left and right; Marvel, LucasFilm, 20th Century Fox, etc. If they keep it up it'd severely damage the entertainment industry and several others.

I specifically mentioned LucasArts in my first post.  In that case, they had no interest in LucasArts in the first place.  They just came with Lucasfilm.  Disney wouldn't have acquired them at all otherwise.

Marvel and Lucasfilm weren't major companies.  They were simply the holders of IPs (well ILM was a nice pickup as well).  Heck, Marvel's comics division, it's original purpose, has been swirling down the toilet since before Disney bought the company and it's only gotten worse.  20th Century Fox is the only example of their purchasing a major competitor, and I suspect it'll turn out to be a net negative for the company in the end.  I'm not sure how purchasing that problem company helps them.  I know they get some content for their streaming service, but there are cheaper ways to get content.

Again, I ask where the monopoly is?  Buena Vista has only been the top studio since 2016.  The reason that they're currently on top now just comes down to their curating several brands into bankable events (MCU, Disney Animation, Pixar, Star Wars, live-action remakes).  Aside from Star Wars, the mega-success of each of those is entirely of Disney's doing thanks to their being a well-run company.  It's not like it was guaranteed that they could turn the leftovers that Marvel hadn't already licensed away into the biggest movie franchise ever.  If we could go back in time to 2000 and ask who had the better deal, Fox with the X-Men or Disney with Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, and Hulk, I think everyone at the time would have said Fox was in a stronger position.  Heck, Warner Bros. have had the strongest hand of all with DC's full pantheon in their stable and have squandered it.

And it won't last forever.  Already, the live-action remakes have seen deep diminishing returns.  Star Wars proved incapable of being a yearly franchise.  Pixar is creatively nowhere near where they used to be, outside of Inside Out and Coco their high points this decade have been fairly lukewarm sequels.  Eventually, the MCU will falter as well and Disney animation will hit another cold streak (I'm not a big Jennifer Lee fan for one, her movies feel quite half-baked).

In the end, it's simply not a monopoly though.  It's just creating a better product.  The other companies have their opportunity to catch up.  They have their huge IPs.  They have their infrastructure and plenty of cash.  All they need is to make a product that people want to buy.

Last edited by NightlyPoe - on 06 April 2019

CaptainExplosion said:
Jumpin said:
The only companies I can see Nintendo ever becoming a part of are Apple or Microsoft. Square Enix or Sony are more likely to become part of Disney.

Oh please no, then they'd have a whole monopoly on nearly every movie and show out there. -_-

Maybe after Super Nintendo World finally opens we can better compare Nintendo to Disney.

To be clear, I don't think anyone is buying Nintendo =)

It's probably not possible.

I can see Disney having an interest in purchasing Sony, but that is also almost completely unlikely, but still more likely than Disney buying Nintendo.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.